Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

I’m sure someone has said this already, but this is a company wiping their arse before sticking it in the air and hoping a rich man takes a liking to it.

That they’re trying to sell it shouldn’t be a surprise. That they’re trying so aggressively should be.

If they don’t already have a buyer, I’d be amazed. This seems like a company confident that this all pays off.

• Paid Members

I'm also pretty surprised & disappointed by Bronson Reed going, but if I had to guess it'd be as a result of when he did that Main Event taping/tryout the same week Kross did and Vince going "You call this guy COLOSSAL??!"

Obviously he's a big man, and he's a pretty big man in wrestling terms these days, but when you've also got Omos using a fairly similar nickname, being 6' 0" isn't going to cut it with Vince if his perception is you should be towering.

• Paid Members

I think this looks like a change of approach for NXT, focusing on the development and perhaps, getting away from being a home owned indy promotion.

I'm absolutely certain that in the medium term, they are preparing for sale. The obsession with streamlining and cost cutting makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Surely we can’t be far off from “WWE has released the following superstars from NXT UK:

All of them. The end”

Cuts are nothing new, but I’m really starting to believe that rumour about them prepping the company to be sold.

Nahhhh, as long as they’ve got the majority of the British scene locked under a contract, it stops any possibility of a WOS-type promotion gaining a foothold over here. NXT UK isn’t going anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Surely we can’t be far off from “WWE has released the following superstars from NXT UK:

All of them. The end”

Cuts are nothing new, but I’m really starting to believe that rumour about them prepping the company to be sold.

Nxt uk is cheap to make and keeps them on BT here who pay for the show. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Out of all of those releases, how many were NXT regulars?

6 hours ago, Nick James said:

Reed was North American champion a few weeks ago and has quite a lot of potential.

Rust is a member of a recent launched faction who were feuding with Fish.

Ruff has been pushed as the plucky underdog and was quite over.

Martinez and Atlas were featured heavily in the companies Pride month advertising last month.

Sterling was on 205 last night, could have even been his debut.

Reeves hadn't been featured in around 2 years and I'm not familiar with the others.

• Paid Members

Yeah Bronson Reed is a shocker honestly. Solid big man, likeable personality, promos improving every week. Had some really cool highlight reel spots lately too, like squishing Escobar through the wall. Don’t know what else he could have done, I hope he’s a success elsewhere. 

Haven’t seen anything in Tyler Rust any time he’s appeared. Was surprised at his singles pairing with Bivens and that they put him in Diamond Mine. Weird to release him after putting him in the group though. 

Kona Reeves lasted a ridiculously long time. I’ve expected to see him on every release list for the past few years. I’ll miss his The Finest theme song though. Classic CFO$ banger. 

Bobby Fish was doomed after UE ended. Too old and too many injuries. I enjoyed a lot of his work during the NXT run though. I like that he put Roddy over on the way out too, was quite fitting for both characters.

Jake Atlas is the blandest of wrestlers. He is a competent wrestler with an ok look and a dull persona. It’s just not enough, and I don’t really see why another promotion would want him either. Similar to Kona Reeves I was always a bit stumped as to how he stuck around. 

Leon Ruff always felt like he had a short shelf life. I adored his surprise title win over Gargano though. I know that was quite a polarising angle amongst the internet fans but I definitely popped for it. His absolute upper limit on the main roster would have been 24/7 title geek though. 

Martinez is an unfortunate one. I generally enjoy her work a lot and find her believable despite her seeming to struggle with overly scripted promos at times. Probs just a bit too late in her career, but as an experienced hand and upper mid card gatekeeper in the women’s division I thought she still had a role to play. 

Martinez always seemed like a hire a few years too late and definitely felt like they were just trying to keep her away from anyone else at that point. But I always assumed she'd be used here and there on TV and then in more of a trainer role at the PV because she's had a huge amount of experience. I really thought she'd be able to contribute there at least.