The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

14 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Not one cool person ever bitched about WWE online. Not one cool person still knows they exist. Just us.

Even with that, the statement may have been true 7/8 years ago but now surely people on the internet just moan about WWE because it's shit. Not to gain imaginary internet points like they would've done during the Punk era.

2 hours ago, The Dart said:

The question is why do they always have one camera that they only cut to when Retribution are in the ring?  Why would the producers of Raw set that camera up, then ignore it for the 3 hours, the poor operator is probably bored out his mind, but then uh-oh, they've showed up, wake up Billy, shake that camera about a bit please.

Because Kevin Dunn

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, The Dart said:

The question is why do they always have one camera that they only cut to when Retribution are in the ring?  Why would the producers of Raw set that camera up, then ignore it for the 3 hours, the poor operator is probably bored out his mind, but then uh-oh, they've showed up, wake up Billy, shake that camera about a bit please.

You're looking at it as filming a legit sport or presentation of it as such, we all know it's not but still watch through the lense of it being presented as if it is at some level. 

They look at it as making a TV show about or involving a sport, no one questions the camera set ups in Dallas or The Wire or CSI, so why should they here just because the TV show in question is about the people involved in a pseudo sport? It's flawed in my opinion but it's the root of thier approach from what I read and hear.

Edited by Tommy!

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

No one will ever enjoy wrestling if they start thinking about the camera stuff logically.

Like the other week on Smackdown where Cesaro/Nakamura didn't want Zayn in on their 'private' conversation which they were having on camera.

Because wrestling.

It hasn't always been like this though. The shows are much more immersive if they're internally consistent. Its just laziness.

If they want special shaky cam footage just for Retribution have Retribution upload it to social, the main shows can play it the following week saying it was circulating online. Just a little bit of thought to preserve the viewer's suspension of disbelief. Literally all fictional TV has to think about internal consistency.

56 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is it though? There's a lot of stuff that they do that's widely accepted across wrestling companies. Sure, they turn it all up to 100, but it's not like they're the only ones that do it.

They're the influence though. Always have been.
Other companies do stuff either because 'WWE does it' or 'WWE doesn't do it'.

• Paid Members

Given that it's very nearly 8 years since The Shield debuted, they could easily replicate their early promo style for Retribution - have them talking into a camera one of them is obviously holding, then put it down on the ground and walk off at the end - suggesting I guess they've commandeered a handheld from some poor crew member backstage.

More generally, they went through a period a year or two back when a lot of promos were delivered by a wrestler filming themselves with a mobile phone, presenting it as something recorded earlier. Don't know why they dropped that really, seems a realistic representation of how a lot of people get their thoughts out there these days.

This has also made me realise they very quickly dropped the SNME-style promos kicking off the show on Smackdown, and that makes me sad.

I'm not someone too bothered by camera cuts or angles but one of the things that really caused me this year to give up watching even the PPV's regularly was a Charlotte promo which could best be described as a parody of the promos in the South Park episode WTF. It was right at the start of the performance center shows but it's setup and delivery were so god awful and took me out of believing what was going on I haven't been able to get back into anything WWE since. 

I'm not someone to ritualistically bury WWE, because those that tend to do that are the ones that watch it the most.

My knowledge of current WWE content is pretty much limited to what appears in my Twitter timeline. As far as I can see, the big things over the last few months have been Antifa with scripts strictly within the bounds of WWE's corporate PR code, camera cuts that make me feel like I'm on a waltzer and a little bit of eye gouging. None of this makes me want to tune in or purchase the network. 

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members

I haven’t watched any wrestling in ten years maybe, despite reading all the goings on in here every day religiously.  There’s sod all that so much as peaks my curiosity these days, I think I YouTubed Warriors return and the Goldberg/Lesnar match, but anyway, I digress..

Clip just showed up on my Facebook feed, and The Hurt Business looked the fucking bollocks marching up to 8 or 9 of those Retribution lot.  Aren’t they heels?  That was the biggest face move I’ve ever seen.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

The Hurt Business looked the fucking bollocks marching up to 8 or 9 of those Retribution lot.  Aren’t they heels?  That was the biggest face move I’ve ever seen.

They are, yeah - but agreed.

That’s the second time they’ve looked truly immense IMO, the other time being a month or so back (prior to Cedric joining) when they waltzed into Raw Underground wearing suits and smashed everyone up, spectators and all.

I’ve actually come to really enjoy them recently, which is saying something as for a good decade or more I’ve considered MVP, Lashley and particularly Shelton Benjamin as amongst my absolute least favourite wrestlers.

I was baffled when they brought back MVP but he's lived up to the name hasn't he? He's so dependable on the mic that he's revived the careers of Apollo, Cedric and Shelton, and Bob Lashley's been dragged from his grave. The Hurt Business are better than they have any right to be, another cool act they kind of accidentally stumbled into. The attack on Retribution felt like the first sign they're gonna fuck it all up. Absolutely badass moment though, and I'd still like Lashley vs Lesnar.