The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Aren't judgements better formed by actually watching something than just reading it and declaring it THE WORST EPISODE EVER! THIS IS WHY I DON'T WATCH WWE!

My WWE viewing habits are based entirely on watching some YouTube clips while having my morning dump. Is it fair for me to think this is sufficient viewing time to slag it off? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

My WWE viewing habits are based entirely on watching some YouTube clips while having my morning dump. Is it fair for me to think this is sufficient viewing time to slag it off? 

Until it started on BT Sport (which I have) I had to rely on You Tube highlights as I didn't have Sky Sports.  I long for those days in some ways, because I feel obliged to watch the show now rather then just clips

• Paid Members

I saw Raw highlights on C5 at the weekend so can finally voice an opinion on the product. I’m probably way out of touch so apologies if this reads like your dad telling you that music was miles better in the 60s and Taylor Swift would be a decent songstress if she toned down the sleaze.

Retribution is awful in concept and on TV and basically gives the impression that someone decided if a TNA idea is 10 years old it can be stolen because every soul on Earth either forgot about it or never watched TNA to begin with - regardless of the idea being gick to begin with. My mate and I used to write “five guys in masks attack everyone in the ring - WE DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE” in our make believe fed when we were 17 and it felt like the height of suspense, but we were morons then and whoever’s writing it are morons now.

The Hurt Business actually look like a star act. I despised MVP forever but as a mouthpiece I think he’s pretty decent. Lashley looks less useless than in previous roles and for reasons I don’t understand I’m pleased Shelton has another whirl on TV.

Reys daughter showing concern for Murphy was odd and a complete waste if it’s not part of the story. I’ve obviously missed most of this eyeball/Dominick bollocks but based on how good Rey still was last time I watched him wrestle, it’s frustrating watching a story take place around him with him not in the ring at the moment.

Adam Pearce on TV was surreal as fuck to me. Hard to believe him getting beat by Brent Albright in ROH was once one of my highlights of a year.

I’m confused as to why Drew and Keith Lee jumped on everyone before Hurts had a chance to lay a finger on Retribution. They might have been fine??

The piped in crowd noises are awful although I do like being able to hear the wrestlers talking to each other. Everyone joining the action on Zoom, I’d like to slap.

Just realized these comments are one episode out of date so apologies for messing with your continuity. I’ve never seen one before, no one has but I’m guessing it’s a White Hole.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Caught highlights again and had some thoughts.

The wrestlers still playing to a crowd that isn’t there really bothers me, I noticed this especially during the James/Vega match. However the Zoom fans do add the effect of a crowd being there in some of the replays although on the hard camera wide angle it’s too distracting looking for what T-shirts people are wearing, gestures that contradict the piped in noises, or amusing misbehaviour. For too long the industry has been angry about fans trying to make themselves part of the show and now they’ve been given a better chance than ever!

Ive heard Drew talk about the Steelers so often now I doubt I’ll ever forget his family supports them.

Really love the subtle changes to Rollins’ look. The furry collar on his jacket, topknot, single glove and wankers beard, he looks like a hybrid of himself and Marty Scurll circa 2018. E.g massive prick. Was hugely disappointed to see them start going down the parentage road again and when Rey alluded to it being unoriginal I thought “fuck you” in the CinemaSins guys voice for the writers’ audacity to point it out. Really poor for Seth to show the “concrete evidence” video re: daughter, where none of us have a fucking clue how it proves anything. I approve in a way that the story isn’t being rushed in respect to what’s happening with Aaliya (?) and Murphy etc but in character, Seth should have made his point rather than nobody knowing what he’s on about. “Concrete evidence” unexplained makes him look stupid and that contradicts his character. Aaliya talking back to her dad and apparently not spotting that it was only “naive to our world” that he’d said and getting stroppy accordingly seemed really daft to me, like THATS how a 19 year old would react when the family is still under attack from an enemy that’s hurt them as much as Rollins has? Really didn’t buy it. Another example like so many before of people talking and behaving on WWE TV like people just don’t in real life.

Hearing Michael Cole say “in this world there’s good and there’s evil and somewhere inbeteeen there’s Aleister Black” made me cringe in that vignette. I know it’s meant to be for kids but..... come on.

Playing into that thought, I was baffled to see Hurt Business wrestling Retribution next. Making guys like MVP and Lashley the de facto babyfaces is a bad idea regardless but realistically the roster isn’t strong enough to go down the route of “heels and babyfaces need to work together to stop Retribution” nor is the latter strong enough to justify it. Something I forgot to mention last time was that I really like the current US title design. Either the finish of the match was so nebulous or the editing so poor that when they went to ad break, I didn’t realize I’d seen the end of the match and in fact the show until NFL End Zone started. I didn’t hang around to find out how the Steelers did, sorry Drew. Real WCW flashback for me there.

Where I’m up to as a viewer is hard to say, I know it’s disjointed as I’m not getting the whole show and the surreality of the more audible wrestlers, fake crowd noise and dorky screens displaying the chubby faces of stealth wankers make it hard to rate compared to a “normal” episode. I’ve watched because it’s been on two weekends in a row, if I felt the need to scratch the wrestling itch, would I choose to watch the newest episode rather than spend the same amount of time watching the Rumble 92? No, because that would not be fair to Flair. I’m interested in what happens next but from experience this is curiosity and the need to get the full picture of what’s happening, not because it’s engaging tv, as this always happens to me when I start watching again after a lengthy abstinence. Whether the current Raw experience keeps me hooked in the manner of say SmackDown in 2018 did, I have my doubts. I’m mildly annoyed I’ve started watching again as I was utterly convinced WWE no longer held that sway over me, but morbid fascination with “Is it as bad as it sounds” stopped me skipping channels. Curse you, Freeview.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Other than the reveal for the open challenge, this was a complete non-event.

Hurt Business need to move on from Apollo, Ricochet and Ali. It's just the same week in and week out, same for the 24/7 championship, Gulak deserves better than this dross.

Rose / Brooke Vs Natalya / Lana has to be the worst women's match of the year. Lana is terrible and Rose isn't much better. It was like watching something from a 2005 divas match on Raw.

Rollins / Mysterio fued needs to end, but I feel they are padding it out until Rey can end it. Dominik is a revelation, though. 

No RETRIBUTION or Raw Underground? As wrestlecrap as Underground is, it was evident on this ep that it is a nice change from the usual Raw rubbish for a bit of a break. 

As for RETRIBUTION (has to be written in capitals you see), I think they may be changing direction with them after the absolute brutal reaction to last week. However, Dijakovic continues to be great on Twitter as T-Bar. He knows how crap it is, and he is embracing it. 

Zelina Vega is brilliant, so wasted as a manager all this time. She should be traded back to NXT, the women's division needs new faces.

Overall, after a good PPV with that tremendous Main Event, it was a return to the status quo for Raw. Hopefully, the draft changes things up, I think it may just shaft Smackdown and not improve Raw.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Nick James said:

As for RETRIBUTION (has to be written in capitals you see), I think they may be changing direction with them after the absolute brutal reaction to last week. However, Dijakovic continues to be great on Twitter as T-Bar. He knows how crap it is, and he is embracing it. 

Haven't seen it substantiated by a credible source as yet, but one of the NEWZ sites seems to be reporting that all five main members of Retribution are in Covid quarantine.  

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/09/backstage-update-on-if-retribution-members-have-covid-19-675299/

• Awards Moderator
31 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Overall, after a good PPV with that tremendous Main Event, it was a return to the status quo for Raw. Hopefully, the draft changes things up, I think it may just shaft Smackdown and not improve Raw.

Basically the story of every draft they've ever done, then

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Haven't seen it substantiated by a credible source as yet, but one of the NEWZ sites seems to be reporting that all five main members of Retribution are in Covid quarantine.  

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/09/backstage-update-on-if-retribution-members-have-covid-19-675299/

The 5 guys who are in the biggest storyline in the show are not in this week's show. I'm presuming it's Covid

• Paid Members

Yeah every site I go to has those 5 alongside Jax/Shayna all in quarantine but not Covid positive. I guess through still training at the NXT facility for those 5 you'd guess, they've been in contact with someone (I've seen it mentioned it may have been a coach who originally came back as positive), and that Shayna may have come into contact with someone with it, placing her and Jax out too. It's an absolute shambles if their "biggest storyline" of the summer gets stunted because they took no precautions. 

Someone mentioned in the NOC thread as a joke that surely it was a double turn in the ambulance match and I jokingly said last night that much of what happened towards the start and end of the show felt that way. 

Bunch of legends patting themselves on the back for getting back at Orton, then hanging around the show in a "Legends lounge", Drews behaviour before the title match making out that nobody wants to face him and then Orton pulling the sneaky, undercover wrestler using a disguise to attack his enemies, using night vision goggles because this is 2005 and then getting away before the bad guy management can get to him. 

It's all just very stupid. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, TomJones233 said:

Orton dressed up like a plumber with a pair of Splinter Cell Night Vision goggles was the highlight of a overall shit RAW.

Everything about that was awful. A premeditated attack when the wrestler brings a chair instead of something like a baseball bat. The phrase “Legends Lounge” being used. The complete lack of ANY sound, not a “what’s going on” or angry/confused sounds, never mind of pain. Who directs people to behave like this?