The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

Pretty amazing how many people slag this stuff off without even watching it.

Anyway - it was mostly shit. Don't think Retribution can be rescued at this point, even with some leader reveal or something. They look fucking daft now although Slapjack is my favourite. I'm all for suspension of logic and whatnot but yeah there's just too many stupid things for it to be any good now.

The rest was mostly skippable. Night and day with Smackdown at the moment.

Edited by DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I can sort of understand it with the men, with fuller masks & altered hairstyles, but are we supposed to not recognise Mia & Mercedes, despite being able to see basically their entire faces, and particularly Mia's distinctive hair? Or believe that the announcers don't??

I mean, I could buy that Lawler doesn't watch NXT, but Tom Phillips was commenting on it until about a month ago.

On that subject - Lawler, ugh. Bring back Joe.

18 hours ago, TomJones233 said:

Is it as best for business as Vince hiring the nWo to inject the WWF with a 

LETHAL 

DOSE

OF

POISON 

That had storyline reason for it though. Vince was so upset about Flair owning half the company he wanted to destroy it.

This is just dreadful, lazy writing.

Yeah at least the nWo stuff was actually part of an, admittedly terrible, story. The majority of Raw either makes no sense or happens for no reason at all. Smackdown is still a bit shit overall but they at least have a few good to great things going on. Raw is a fucking nightmare.

• Paid Members

The best description I’ve seen for Retribution is that it feels completely lifted from the career mode of one of their video games. It wouldn’t shock me at all if it came out that 2K pitched this idea to WWE after deciding not to make a game this year.

I mainly feel sorry for the guys involved. I think not having a crowd shitting on it has allowed it to go on longer than it would’ve done in the pre-Covid world, but it still feels like a certainty that it’ll eventually be shit-canned and all the talent will be future-endeavour’d.

Now that they’re wearing those awful masks, this is all I could think of watching it.

2AC563F0-4705-4A87-9757-0A099BF2EA84.gif.0cf3323eec34512210acee095b70b9fb.gif

• Awards Moderator

T-Bar and Mace are very lower-card 1998 faction names, but they're tolerable. Slapjack, though? Unforgivable. The guy's surname is Thorn! Just call him Thorn! It's cool and spiky and would probably grow out of its initial nonsense-sounding like Edge did. Slapjack, however, doesn't stand a chance.

11 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

T-Bar and Mace are very lower-card 1998 faction names, but they're tolerable. Slapjack, though? Unforgivable. The guy's surname is Thorn! Just call him Thorn! It's cool and spiky and would probably grow out of its initial nonsense-sounding like Edge did. Slapjack, however, doesn't stand a chance.

How dare you. Slapjack was clearly the star. He's already got a solid fanbase going on Twitter. He's the real winner here.

I forgot Retribution started out as some kind of Antifa group, or at least Vince's dodgy ideas of it. Bunch of rebel plonkers knocking over boxes and fiddling with lights. Now it's blossomed into all kinds of nonsense. Flashbacks of rotten stuff like early Dark Order, The Black Scorpion, and Bane mask Dean Ambrose. A goon called 'Slapjack' doing a  Jason ripoff straight from Memphis television. It's bonkers. Yet WWE's weird, alien production filter kinda kills any potential wrestlecrap charm it could have. Even during a period of historically wacky ideas it takes the cake.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Pretty amazing how many people slag this stuff off without even watching it.

Love the idea that this horrible sounding and looking shit actually gets better if you really watch it.

17 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Anyway - it was mostly shit.

Ah.

58 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Love the idea that this horrible sounding and looking shit actually gets better if you really watch it.

Ah.

Aren't judgements better formed by actually watching something than just reading it and declaring it THE WORST EPISODE EVER! THIS IS WHY I DON'T WATCH WWE!

Not saying that every single episode is better based on sitting through it, but a fairer conclusion can be drawn from actually seeing it play out on screen I think. Certainly gives a lot more context etc.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Aren't judgements better formed by actually watching something than just reading it and declaring it THE WORST EPISODE EVER! THIS IS WHY I DON'T WATCH WWE!

Not saying that every single episode is better based on sitting through it, but a fairer conclusion can be drawn from actually seeing it play out on screen I think. Certainly gives a lot more context etc.

Who the fuck has time to actually watch wrestling now. We're all in our 30s and up. We've all watched thousands of hours of this shite. If you can't get a good sense of what something is from a few context clues at this point you've basically wasted your entire life.