The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’m not a religious man, but I’ll be doing a few trips round the rosary for Brock/Gunther at Mania.

I'm long sick of Brock, but this and Brock/Sheamus are pretty high up on my want to see list. Both Sheamus and Gunther deserve to have that high profile a match after their last year.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But MJF Has been involved in two better promos in the last year that didn't rely solely on the love of a Hall of Famer.

Then again, this one didn't involve casual racism either, so there is that.

I will say ‘rely solely on the love of a hall of famer’ is a bit disingenuous too. It relied heavily on the incredible performances of two of the greatest promo’s in modern wrestling. That’s what it really relied on, the fact they have source material we already have an emotional attachment too is just good fortune.

They'll get everyone on board with Reigns v Cody at Mania I think, last night was a great start and think everyone will be wanting to see it by the time we get to LA. Don't think there's any danger of fans turning on it personally.

Surprised they're going with Lesnar and Lashley at Elimination Chamber, don't know what else Lashley does but hopefully it clears the path for Brock v Gunther at Mania. Looks like we're likely to see somethign along the lines of Becky/Trish/Lita v Damage Control too.

Elimination Chamber is looking like it will have a strong card.

16 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It was great until the ending when it just became every highly emotional WWE Promo ever. The Cheapshot ending. 

I agree with this, I didn't like the "Reigns was the son he wished he had" line for a number of reasons. Firstly, it just wasn't believable. We know Dusty didn't say that, and it felt a bit forced to try and get heel heat on Paul Heyman. It's just another version of when MJF comes out with over-the-top controversial nonsense, just to get booed. Secondly, it gave me a little bit of cause for concern - is the death of Dusty Rhodes, and whether or not he preferred Reigns to his own son? I highly doubt that would work for me. 

31 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I agree with this, I didn't like the "Reigns was the son he wished he had" line for a number of reasons. Firstly, it just wasn't believable. We know Dusty didn't say that, and it felt a bit forced to try and get heel heat on Paul Heyman. It's just another version of when MJF comes out with over-the-top controversial nonsense, just to get booed. Secondly, it gave me a little bit of cause for concern - is the death of Dusty Rhodes, and whether or not he preferred Reigns to his own son? I highly doubt that would work for me. 

I don't think the point is that people are meant to believe it though. Of course it's a cheap shot. It's Paul Heyman. He's a master of it. He's out there doing whatever he can to manipulate the situation and give Roman an edge. I didn't get any forced feeling out of it because when Heyman's going out there you know he's going to do what he did.

What Heyman does is play into reality and find situations where there's just enough of a seed of doubt for it to hurt. And that's what he went for with Cody. There was so much truth and personal history in that promo that when he finally took that shot at the end it opened a wound and dug around a bit inside.

The story is that this is personal for Cody and so much of that is based on wanting to deliver in memory of his father. It's not like the Dusty stuff came out of nowhere.

10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I don't think the point is that people are meant to believe it though. Of course it's a cheap shot. It's Paul Heyman. He's a master of it. He's out there doing whatever he can to manipulate the situation and give Roman an edge. I didn't get any forced feeling out of it because when Heyman's going out there you know he's going to do what he did.

What Heyman does is play into reality and find situations where there's just enough of a seed of doubt for it to hurt. And that's what he went for with Cody. There was so much truth and personal history in that promo that when he finally took that shot at the end it opened a wound and dug around a bit inside.

The story is that this is personal for Cody and so much of that is based on wanting to deliver in memory of his father. It's not like the Dusty stuff came out of nowhere.

You're right, but personally, I don't see why the Heyman character would even say that. If anything, it would light a fire under Cody. I'm probably in the minority, but that took me out of a very believable moment. I think there were better ways to finish that promo, for sure. Clearly, though, it worked for the vast, vast majority; which means my (admittedly minor) issue with how it ended is kind of irrelevant. 

It was meant to anger Cody I think, because professional "I just want the title" Rhodes is more of a threat to Roman than someone who sees red.

I mean WWE goes on all the time about "mind games" being played by their wrestlers so there must be an assumption that this tactic works.

• Paid Members

Nothing Heyman says is without context. It's a reference to an interview that Reigns did last year where he talked about how integral Dusty Rhodes was to his development as a wrestler. An exaggeration on Heyman's part? Sure, but there's a basis to it, it wasn't just a throwaway heel manager line.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

It was 100% bullshit by Heyman. He took Cody, the most emotional man alive, and stuck a knife into the thing he cares most about. It's simple but brilliant, perfectly fuelling fire in Cody that could have him seeing red and making mistakes when the pressure of Mania comes, or massively backfire and give him the drive he needs to topple the Chief. Marvellous stuff.

Fuck it, as much as it's been said the Sami and Cody things should be separate, I'd be well up for Mania being a proper Thanos vs the MCU moment where everyone Roman has fucked over plays a part in his ultimate downfall. Everyone involved in the Bloodline and Cody angles, everyone Heyman mentions in his promos, just line them up for Roman to eat their finishers before Cody wins the big one is carried aloft on the shoulders of the WWE roster. The reunited Usos. The reunited Sami and KO. ROLLINS. I want this now.