The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

You're right, but personally, I don't see why the Heyman character would even say that. If anything, it would light a fire under Cody. I'm probably in the minority, but that took me out of a very believable moment. I think there were better ways to finish that promo, for sure. Clearly, though, it worked for the vast, vast majority; which means my (admittedly minor) issue with how it ended is kind of irrelevant. 

I think it also works to get people behind Cody more. The Bloodline are for the most part a pretty "cool" heel group. Outside of Sami, Roman and co haven't exactly had crowds booing the shit out of them anytime someone goes against them. So I think it's a smart move to try and get people wanting to see Cody dethrone the champ and get personal revenge too. 

I can see why some might have an issue with it. But as someone who was far more interested in anything Sami related (despite having nothing against Cody per se), this was a "okay now you've got my attention" moment where they took it beyond it being cool to see Cody win the title to wanting to see him dethrone Reigns specifically.

• Paid Members

Cody Rhodes is one of the most peculiar men alive. He stuck out like a sore thumb in AEW for all the reasons that he feels like a tailor-made star in WWE - nobody has ever spoken more like a WWE Superstar™ even when they haven't been scripted and had a camera stuck in their face. It shouldn't work, he should feel like a robot, but somehow he's believable because he actually is that guy that WWE have been trying to manufacture for twenty years, that even when talking about his real emotions about his dead dad he speaks in buzzwords and quips. "I'm going to take those titles personally" was a terrible, hokey line, and it landed regardless. 

Heyman was fantastic because he knows where the line is. An "edgier" heel probably wouldn't have told Cody that he was Dusty's favourite son before delivering the lines about Reigns being the son he wished he had, and that means he comes across as so much more believably manipulative rather than just looking for the cheapest shock tactic. The question now is how they keep this rolling until Wrestlemania, while Roman's busy with Sami - they can't just do "he's Dusty's kid, remember?" every week, because I think that's the quickest way to have fans turn on Cody for not being his own man, and equally there's not a lot of mileage in "we can't say AEW, but you know we mean AEW, wink wink nudge nudge" promos, but they need to keep this level of genuine emotion and investment so that this story isn't overshadowed by Sami Zayn.

It achieved the first step, though - before now, Cody Rhodes had a one-sided story, in that he wanted to win the WWE Title. Now, he has a reason to want to beat Roman Reigns specifically to win that title, so it's no longer a one-man show. But he needs something to keep him busy between now and then, and I don't know what he's going to do at Elimination Chamber to keep that ball rolling. I had assumed he'd be kept busy revisiting the Seth Rollins feud, but apparently we're forgetting all about that now.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Cody Rhodes is one of the most peculiar men alive. He stuck out like a sore thumb in AEW for all the reasons that he feels like a tailor-made star in WWE - nobody has ever spoken more like a WWE Superstar™ even when they haven't been scripted and had a camera stuck in their face. It shouldn't work, he should feel like a robot, but somehow he's believable because he actually is that guy that WWE have been trying to manufacture for twenty years, that even when talking about his real emotions about his dead dad he speaks in buzzwords and quips. "I'm going to take those titles personally" was a terrible, hokey line, and it landed regardless. 

Heyman was fantastic because he knows where the line is. An "edgier" heel probably wouldn't have told Cody that he was Dusty's favourite son before delivering the lines about Reigns being the son he wished he had, and that means he comes across as so much more believably manipulative rather than just looking for the cheapest shock tactic. The question now is how they keep this rolling until Wrestlemania, while Roman's busy with Sami - they can't just do "he's Dusty's kid, remember?" every week, because I think that's the quickest way to have fans turn on Cody for not being his own man, and equally there's not a lot of mileage in "we can't say AEW, but you know we mean AEW, wink wink nudge nudge" promos, but they need to keep this level of genuine emotion and investment so that this story isn't overshadowed by Sami Zayn.

It achieved the first step, though - before now, Cody Rhodes had a one-sided story, in that he wanted to win the WWE Title. Now, he has a reason to want to beat Roman Reigns specifically to win that title, so it's no longer a one-man show. But he needs something to keep him busy between now and then, and I don't know what he's going to do at Elimination Chamber to keep that ball rolling. I had assumed he'd be kept busy revisiting the Seth Rollins feud, but apparently we're forgetting all about that now.

All of this. When Cody left there was a big spat between WWE and AEW fans about Cody either for leaving because AEW is the Minor Leagues or that he's gone because he sucked. Neither was true, but it is undeniable that Cody always felt odd in his Indy run because he seemed to be a WWE Wrestler still. He had that mentality and attitude. Him leaving was the best business for both parties, both gained from it.

But also I echo that concern about that promo. What do you do for the next 6 weeks or so? How do you keep it as hot as it is now. That promo should have been on either the penultimate Mania Raw or the one before that. Pulling the triggle now, unless they have some really smart ideas before now and then, means it will certainly cool down from the red-hot feeling people have for it. 

31 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's only one more Raw between now and Elimination Chamber, so I suppose it's not a big deal for Cody. I'm more worried about the Sami Zayn storyline - and his feud with Reigns - feeling more rushed than it needed to, or that it even begins to feel like an afterthought. 

As compelling as that interaction was, I hope they have Cody interact with Sami Zayn in some way next week, to at least try and keep the initial focus on Reigns/Zayn at Elimination Chamber. 

44 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But also I echo that concern about that promo. What do you do for the next 6 weeks or so? How do you keep it as hot as it is now. That promo should have been on either the penultimate Mania Raw or the one before that. Pulling the triggle now, unless they have some really smart ideas before now and then, means it will certainly cool down from the red-hot feeling people have for it. 

To be fair they've managed the Bloodline/Sami stuff well long term and kept it heating up so I have a little more faith these days that they can continue something for Cody for 6 weeks.

The most important thing they needed to do was actually get people invested in a Cody/Roman match properly and they've achieved that.

I’m not sure Cody can keep up this level of performance until Wrestlemania, but good grief he’s on fire at the minute. What a segment.

Also, I noticed Helwani asked him outright about the Sami situation on The MMA Hour and his answer was note perfect:

On the possibility of the match becoming a triple threat bout with Sami Zayn: “No, I don’t really have a preference. Solely because I want to wrestle the best. People wanted a contender forever. So if two show up, don’t be mad. Don’t make it about A or B, or B or A, or one or two. Enjoy it all. That’s really been kind of the challenge. I can’t begrudge a dude for getting super hot. I have no preference in terms of the direction it goes. I really look forward to the moments when I’m in there if they happen, Sami, whether that’s just on the Road to WrestleMania, because I think it’s different than people think. I think he’s doing amazing. So yeah, bring it all together.”

A combination of quite smart booking and Cody’s incredible run of form is really keeping this show on the road when it could have fell flat. Well played to everyone involved.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Another strong show for me. I've been a big fan of Triple H's booking throughout, and the way he's handled the Reigns/Cody/Sami situation has been masterful. Last week I said that I hoped Cody and Sami had a moment this week - they did, and it sowed doubt in my mind. It left me thinking that perhaps Sami could win. Maybe they have something else lined up for Reigns, or maybe they have a clever idea for a Triple Threat...I mean; I know, deep down, that this likely won't happen. But it doesn't feel impossible. 

Cody deserves enormous credit for his role in making this work. He feels like a megastar, and although things had taken a turn for Cody in AEW, I'd be curious to know whether Tony Khan has any regrets about letting him go. If nothing else, his success in WWE has surely made keeping some of his bigger name wrestlers more challenging. 

• Paid Members

I love Sami, absolutely love him, BUT Cody is the star. It's Cody, it has to be. He is every bit the star they have been looking for. The way he talks, the way he moves, the entrance with the fans singing along to the theme, everything. I would love Sami to raise the title from Roman, but Cody is 100% the logical choice for me now and if you had told me that prior to the Rumble, I would have told you to get to fuck. The way they have navigated this, is brilliant and all due respect to HHH, if this was Vince, Sami would be dead and buried and the fans would have revolted against Cody. 

Sami pulled it out in this segment as well, pulling him back to being vulnerable was a really good choice as well. I would have no issues whatsoever with Sami and KO celebrating with KO in the ring, all titles aloft while the Bloodline are knackered on the ramp. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Cody deserves enormous credit for his role in making this work. He feels like a megastar, and although things had taken a turn for Cody in AEW, I'd be curious to know whether Tony Khan has any regrets about letting him go. If nothing else, his success in WWE has surely made keeping some of his bigger name wrestlers more challenging. 

Cody was a square peg in a round hole in AEW. He’s always screamed WWE and his run confirmed that. Even down to him being the only one on the roster to use the middle part of the stage as an entrance. Smart business on both parties for him to go. 

But he’s a one off. The only person in AEW who would be put in the same position Cody is in now is probably MJF. But with his act he’d have to be so diluted that it wouldn’t last. 

I dunno, I think a few main event stars in AEW would be treated as such in WWE.  Omega, Young Bucks, Cowboy possibly.  Moxley obviously.  I'm thinking they'd be treated like AJ Styles when he came in.