The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

I’ve become a Cody Rhodes Stan (that’s what the kids say, right?) almost by accident.

His promo was superb. Brilliant. Shades of Dusty at times.

Like, it had all the Cody tropes… he’s still a dumb guy playing smart, he still speaks like an alien who learnt English through reading Marvel villain monologues… but besides that it was a tight promo, told a good story, got to the point, kept the fans on side and had some lovely lines.

”Would I tell him I lost a 295lb best friend but gained a 6lb one with the same eyes” is such a beautiful line.

He's great, isn't he. Such a ludicrous overreach into WWEs dream presentation of a top star that he comes out looking like this Gotham politician, uncanny valley psycho who is both completely engaging and unintentionally hilarious. I'm along for the ride. 

The rest of Raw was the usual rubbish but that's all about on brand. It'll be Elimination Chamber, the odd Smackdown and WrestleMania from here. I gave it a flick through on the off chance they'd continue the Bloodline story because it's 'Mania season and I assumed they were in their "The brand split's there but not really" phase now but I guess not. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Cody's promo, thought it was a good way of going through his career for people that might not be aware and really gets you behind the guy. He didn't go over the top with targeting Roman either. 

Rhea Vs Charlotte is almost certainly because people will be cheering for Rhea and the dynamic could feel off between her and Bianca.

MMM targeting Otis is going to be the daft fun I really enjoy. MMM are great and aren't shown enough, their online bits are hilarious and you can tell both Mace and Mansoor are 100% all in on the gimmick.

• Paid Members

“How much pyro and smoke do you want, Cody?”

”Yes.”

Fair play to that ridiculous man. This isn’t a Bootista situation. I don’t know if it’s because he’s too good of a promo, people are more connected to the character, or everyone is just calmer and more normal now that we have a real alternative in AEW.

Whatever the reason, I think we can confidently say that this is going to work and we’re going to have a great WrestleMania season where we get Sami vs. Roman first, then Cody vs. Roman and Sami/Kevin vs. The Usos. I’m in. Imagine being annoyed you’re going to get two huge pay per views you can’t wait to see, rather than one.

If nothing else, you can’t knock Cody’s mind for this business. Posting the winged eagle on Instagram? Don’t tease me like this! Imagine him whipping this bad boy out after beating Roman! Yes!

62CCAB15-6A06-4FB8-B674-4C529A35C44A.thumb.jpeg.d78b87ff85af77094acb31a0e8741b50.jpeg

Rollins v Gable was a really good little match though.  If you accept that Gable is as far up the card as he'll ever be, it's nice to see him used so often in the Benoit role - the guy who puts on great tv matches with everyone.

I'm also on board with the Cody Rhodes push - that his transformation into the perfect WWE face came during his run in AEW is sweet irony.  You can see plenty of good matchups and stories for him as a long term face champ, and Roman Reigns has a year's worth of stories coming out of the eventual collapse of the Bloodline.

EDIT: Ultimate Warrior looked good against the Miz!

Edited by Loki

I enjoyed the show, but I'm still a bit deflated that Sami Zayn is unlikely to be challenging Roman at Wrestlemania. Sami winning the belts is the kind of moment that would give me goosebumps. I find it harder to care about Cody's quest for the title. 

I hope Rhea/Charlotte main events one of the two nights, Rhea is on fire right now and deserves to main event Wrestlemania. I'm intrigued as to who will face Bianca, as I'd kind of expected Rhea to go after her. 

Given that they have 3-hours to play around with on Raw, I hope they actually air some of the MMM skits in the coming weeks - they're a lot of fun, and deserve to be seen by more than the online audience. 

They need to turn Johnny Gargano heel. As a babyface, he's utterly intolerable. That might translate into an effective heel character, although I'm not convinced by that. The fact I was happier to see Baron Corbin last night than I was Gargano speaks volumes. 

It was nice to see Rick Boogs back, even though I never quite "got" why people enjoyed him. 

Finally, I really enjoyed Gable/Rollins, even though the outcome was never in doubt. I still think Gable can be salvaged as an upper midcard act - who'd have ever thought Sami Zayn would be talked about the way that he is, back in the Vince McMahon era? I'd love to see him do more, he's loads of fun. 

• Paid Members

I get goosebumps imagining newly defeated Usos handing Sami and Kevin the tag belts, then later in the night/the following night they run down to help Roman against Cody, but then stop in their tracks and abandon him. Roman deserves everything coming crashing down and hurting inside.

I fell asleep pretty much at the start of raw was there no appearance from any of the bloodline whatsoever then?

Surely with it being the road to wrestlemania this is where roman is surely going to have to pull double duty and be at raw and smackdown too hype the match with Cody and give that meaning and then continue the story with the bloodline and sami 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Cody Rhodes is a ridiculous man. That’s a perfect description. And wrestling needs more ridiculous men.

Winged belt Cody having a few months on top saying ‘unequivocabally’ will do for me thank you very much.

Apropos is a word I have genuinely never heard anyone say out loud in my entire life, Cody says it in almost every promo sometimes more than once.

All these mad words that only Vince McMahon uses turning up in his promos has got to be an intentional choice. 

I made a point of watching Cody's promo and it hilariously hit every Cody Rhodes checklist. When he wiped tears out his eyes I was cracking up. Just an absolute wonderful bullshitter, this guy. God bless him. 

Thing is, for all the flaws and anything else that’s going on… I absolutely, to my core, believe Cody Rhodes wants to win the world title more than anyone else and he, in part, wants to do it for his dad and to make up for his dad having never won it.

Like, that’s all I really need from this stuff. He’s a ridiculous human being, but I’m still buying what he’s selling.

• Paid Members

One scenario I keep running back in my head - knowing full well it will set me up for total disappointment - is for Sami to not only challenge Roman in Montreal, but to BEAT Roman in Montreal and to win the Universal title. Just let yourself imagine the monumental pop that would get. 

It seems ridiculous in prospect - but we’re already getting Cody/Roman at Wrestlemania and you can easily re-heat Reigns in the build up for that. If you really must, have Reigns win it back by nefarious means before he faces Cody. But this to me seems like an option not being mooted much in terms of Sami taking the spoils. It would be ridiculously good. 

Sami’s opponent at Wrestlemania? Kevin Owens. They’re destined to fight forever even with Sami turning babyface at the Rumble. Let them duke it out on the grandest stage one on one and put on a classic. Alternatively, a triple threat with Jey Uso or even a one on one match for the title. 

Cody/Roman will still be fantastic whatever happens and the tag titles match between Sami/Owens and the Usos will still be great as well. But I just can’t shake the feeling that I need to see Sami get the ultimate payoff with a win over Roman and bagging at least one of the titles. 

• Paid Members
On 1/31/2023 at 10:11 PM, Fatty Facesitter said:

One scenario I keep running back in my head - knowing full well it will set me up for total disappointment - is for Sami to not only challenge Roman in Montreal, but to BEAT Roman in Montreal and to win the Universal title. Just let yourself imagine the monumental pop that would get. 

It seems ridiculous in prospect - but we’re already getting Cody/Roman at Wrestlemania and you can easily re-heat Reigns in the build up for that. If you really must, have Reigns win it back by nefarious means before he faces Cody.

It takes major gloss off Cody dethroning Reigns and being confirmed as the new "top guy" if he's terminating a reign of 4-6 weeks rather than a Universal run of 2 1/2 years and combined WWE Championship run of a year. There's a reason Ryback didnt get a cup of coffee with the belt ; they wanted Punk to have a lengthy and record-setting title run before he was knocked off the mountain by The Rock for the maximum satisfaction. This is the same kind of deal. Except bigger, because it's not for a nostalgia act to walk the belt into Mania so Cena can have it back, we're crowning a new guy. People won't be as crazy for Cody if he doesn't end THE reign of Roman, just A reign of Roman.

Romans Reigns. Heh.