The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

TK should be thinking that he dropped the ball on booking Cody properly when he had him, because he clearly did. He won't be thinking that though, he will be thinking how he can get Derby Allin to wrestle Samoa Joe for the 587th time

Cody was clearly booking his own storyline/character when he was in AEW, and it was obvious because he was mainly wrestling his mates and everything he did was completely removed from everyone else and was so stylistically different that it stuck out like a sore thumb. Cody also refused to turn heel and seemed to think he was doing some revolutionary forth-wall breaking controversial new approach to wrestling but really his final year or so in AEW he was having bad matches and doing bad promos every single week. While AEW was firing on all cylinders during that period Cody was utterly dreadful and fan apathy was growing weekly. 

And I would happily watch Darby Allin vs Samoa Joe 587 times personally.

But anyways, back to Raw.

Edited by LaGoosh

I think AEW and WWE are two very distinct things, and pull further apart all the time; comparing them is pointless.

I agree Cody was a square peg in a round hole in AEW to a point, in that he’s so achingly WWE and it showed. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, or impacted his ability to get over, it just meant that the Codyverse segments stood out a bit.

Every company has a thing that best defines them, and it doesn’t mean others can’t thrive on their shows, it just means some are going to feel more natural than others. Cody’s back where he’s the most natural fit. 

I think other AEW guys could easily come over to WWE and be main event, I don’t think they’d get the full Cody though; by good fortune, he’s the right man at the right time, and they’ve clearly decided he’s THE guy for now.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Cody was clearly booking his own storyline/character when he was in AEW, and it was obvious because he was mainly wrestling his mates and everything he did was completely removed from everyone else and was so stylistically different that it stuck out like a sore thumb. Cody also refused to turn heel and seemed to think he was doing some revolutionary forth-wall breaking controversial new approach to wrestling but really his final year or so in AEW he was having bad matches and doing bad promos every single week. While AEW was firing on all cylinders during that period Cody was utterly dreadful and fan apathy was growing weekly. 

You're absolutely right - it's such a shame, as he could have been AEW's equivalent to Roman Reigns, if he'd been willing to embrace the heel role, at least temporarily. A heel Cody Rhodes versus Jon Moxley, Hangman Page, Kenny Omega or babyface MJF? I'd be right on board for that. I think the "best mates club" has become a wider problem in AEW, but that's for another thread. 

Anyway...

I really liked the presentation of Piper Niven, for the most part. I wasn't crazy about her giving the L sign to the crowd; it didn't seem like something any adult would do, but in general she came across as a badass, and world's apart from the Doudrop character. 

The Bronson Reed/Ali was also a lot of fun. I really enjoy Ali as a wrestler, and he made Reed look great. 

I also fully expected the Elimination Chamber to end up a 7-person match after the opening segment, so they had me fully invested in the main event. 

• Paid Members

I love that she's back being Piper Niven - it just makes her feel like a real human being far more than the Doudrop stuff did, even though it's not a drastic change in presentation, and from the moment she entered the Rumble under that name it was clear they wanted the audience to see her as a big deal, which is very much well-deserved and well-earned on her part. The problem is something typical of Triple H's booking of the women's division, though - there's no explanation why she's Piper Niven instead of Doudrop, what the difference is, or why we should care, it's just a "forget about that, remember this?", and now she's getting pushed (which, again, is great) but in a way that feels fairly inorganic as a result. There was a point during the Rumble when the commentators suggested that Piper Niven vs. Tamina was a "dream match" - they've done nothing to build Niven in a way that any WWE match involving her could be considered a dream match, and nobody's dream match involves Tamina Snuka, who I had to check Wikipedia to find out whether or not she still worked there.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

here was a point during the Rumble when the commentators suggested that Piper Niven vs. Tamina was a "dream match" - they've done nothing to build Niven in a way that any WWE match involving her could be considered a dream match, and nobody's dream match involves Tamina Snuka, who I had to check Wikipedia to find out whether or not she still worked there.

Tamina managing to steal a living for so long never fails to both amaze and impress me. Getting paid for years while doing absolutely nothing valuable or memorable whatsoever and never getting over...what a worker.

24 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The problem is something typical of Triple H's booking of the women's division, though - there's no explanation why she's Piper Niven instead of Doudrop, what the difference is, or why we should care, it's just a "forget about that, remember this?", and now she's getting pushed (which, again, is great) but in a way that feels fairly inorganic as a result.

Given how instrumental Triple H appears to have been in the rise of women's wrestling within WWE, his booking of the division, on the whole, has been disappointingly shit. There are a few bright spots - such as Rhea Ripley - but he definitely could be doing better. 

12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Has Bronson Reed ever been a thing? They've already got a stocky fat lad in Otis, and Reed isn't as good as him. 

Not really, won the NXT North American Title in NXT and then was released shortly after, ended up in the G1 in New Japan last year and they pushed him to the moon(even beat Okada) but he turned down a contract there to return.