VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

37 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also watched The Running Man again. Still 11/10 and I'm incredibly surprised they have never remade it.

I also watched this again last week. You can never tire of watching classic Arnie movies.  My only gripe with The Running Man was they could've gave Jesse more screen time.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Also watched The Running Man again. Still 11/10 and I'm incredibly surprised they have never remade it.

I may have dreamed this but I'm sure I heard Edgar Wright might be doing a remake. 

Second-Hand Hearts

After watching the Hal Ashby documentary 'Hal' the other night, I decided to give this one a shot. 

I love Ashby's films, with The Last Detail, Harold and Maude, Coming Home and Being There being among some of my favourite films from the 1970s. 

I'd always heart his 80s stuff was hit and miss or downright terrible, but went into this with an open mind because I liked the premise and have a thing for relatively obscure stuff from this era.

Sadly, It's not very good at all Tonally all over the place, oddly paced and with two really poor performances from Robert Blake and Barbara Harris. 

There's some good stuff in there, including a soundtrack by Willis Alan Ramsey (who only ever made one album, which was critically acclaimed, before basically giving up music), but not enough to make it worthwhile. 

• Paid Members

First Cow is now streaming on MUBI - I’ve not seen it but I’ve heard it’s great, so really looking forward to checking it out. EDIT apparently First Cow is a MUBI release in cinemas! Not on MUBI streaming

One film I have seen - One Cut of the Dead - is being shown tomorrow night on Film4 without adverts! It’s a really fun little film, get involved! 

Edited by waters44
Talking shite

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, waters44 said:

First Cow is now streaming on MUBI - I’ve not seen it but I’ve heard it’s great, so really looking forward to checking it out. EDIT apparently First Cow is a MUBI release in cinemas! Not on MUBI streaming

One film I have seen - One Cut of the Dead - is being shown tomorrow night on Film4 without adverts! It’s a really fun little film, get involved! 

I thought First Cow was amazingly boring but if you like Kelly Reichardt's other amazingly boring films you should love it. The cow is nice.

And yeah, One Cut of the Dead is magnificent. Hugely recommended to everyone, especially if Army of the Dead pissed you off.

• Paid Members

Those Who Wish Me Dead (cinema)

Unsurprisingly agree with @CleetusVanDamme on this. Just a terrific thriller, really tight, and expands out nicely into an action-adventure late on. Taylor Sheridan's really hit on something. Jolie - great. Hoult and Gillan - give them their own prequel.

Chopper

Andrew Dominik hasn't made a better film than this yet. Cracking debut, Eric Bana is a frightening bastard in the lead, and he's never been better than here either.

The Third Man

Never loses a thing even after several rewatches. Few noirs (or any other films, for that matter) have made a cityscape as much of an integral character as Carol Reed did with this. Some great overlooked humour, too.

Godzilla vs Kong (cinema)

Serviceable monster twat-a-thon. Also serves as only Adam Wingard's second good film, so well done on that.

Gangs of New York 

Very long and not very interesting. Daniel Day-Lewis plays it at the daft level the rest of the film should be at, but nobody else, least of all Scorsese, follows suit. Yeah, Diaz's accent is bad but 1) It's hardly Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own and 2) Leave Cameron alone.

The Brothers Rico (YouTube)

Obscure late-50s noir with the great Richard Conte showing he could be a sympathetic lead just as effectively as he could be a bastard villain (see The Big Combo). Just a great story to this, really bleak at times, with a sharp ending.

The Challenge (Talking Pictures TV)

Anthony Quayle gets persuaded into a heist by Jayne Mansfield in a black wig, which is just as fetching as it sounds. Starts daft but develops into a vicious and really enjoyable thriller with a couple of superb twists. Great stuff again by TPTV.

• Paid Members

Fyre

Rewatched the Fyre festival documentary on Netflix (the good one, not the one made by Fuck Jerry who are scumbags of the highest order and were actually involved in the festival) 

It's a still a great watch, focuses on the smaller people who were impacted by it and doesn't try and take the easy route of laughing at the rich kids. It's also a great example of we are now in the age of having footage for everything. Years ago, watching Capturing The Friedmans, it was amazing that through the terrible events that unfolded, one of the sons coped by essentially filming everything on VHS, which was almost unheard of at the time.

Now we are spoilt with literally every person involved having access to film what's happening, giving us an insane amount of access. 

Also. This guy will always be the most dedicated man in the world. 

6bbd8f8f3355abc4ee8968e0abfc6f79.jpg

• Paid Members

Bloody hell, been a while since I updated this;

Bad Trip is funny as fuck for the most part but I really hated that gorilla scene to the point it almost ruined the whole movie for me. Raya And The Last Dragon was pretty fun and looked as great as you'd expect, one of Disney's stronger offerings for a while for me. If I was watching this as a kid I'd definitely have asked for a Tuk Tuk for Christmas. Palm Springs is brilliant – funny, sweet and Samberg and Milioti have insane chemisty together. One of my favourites of the year and I can't wait to double-bill this with The Map Of Tiny Perfect Things one night.

Chaos Walking is really quite bad. It's got the potential to be a half-decent generic YA sci-fi but it's hamstrung by the 'Noise' gimmick which it never manages to get right. Sound Of Metal is a terrific film. Another favourite of the year so far, I've never been a massive fan of Riz Ahmed but he is incredible here. Hopefully Paul Raci gets a lot of work off the back of this too as he's great also. Thunder Force was about as shite as you'd expect a Melissa McCarthy Netflix comedy to be.

Promising Young Woman was my first rewatch of the year to tie in with it becoming officially available, but it didn't grip me nearly as much the second time around. The short Alfred Molina scene is far and away the peak of the film. I'm absolutely gutted Love And Monsters wasn't on the big screen as it seems made to be watched in a full cinema with popcorn and the works. Dylan O'Brien is really likeable in this and it's just got a great energy to it that po-faced shite like Chaos Walking sorely lacks. Wild Mountain Thyme got negative press just from the accents in the trailer, but fuck me, give it a watch and the accents will be the last thing on your mind. It's really really stupid and badly written. After his good turn in Barb And Star, Jamie Dornan is back to his usual crap self here, although he's got a rotten script to work with to be fair.

Run is a really engrossing edge-of-the-seat thriller, the kind of thing we don't get enough of anymore. There's a million movies called Run – this is the 'girl in a wheelchair' Netflix one. At times watching this my pots had gone (trademark Malbranque). Mortal Kombat is really crap. I can't quite believe it wasn't a straight-to-DVD affair, the quality across the board is so low. Cowboys is worth watching just for the scenery alone, but outside of that it's a sweet, touching film about a father on the run with his trans son. It's only an hour and 20 too!

Things Heard And Seen, like tons of modern horror films, starts off interesting and ends up becoming a bit of a mess by the end. There's a few strands to this that just get completely dropped as the movie progresses too. Amanda Seyfried is really good, though. The Mitchells Vs The Machines is every bit as great as I'd heard. Really funny and genuinely emotional. Minari left me quite cold, to be honest, but I'm not a massive fan of these type of films that are more made up of vignettes than a proper narrative. The gran is great.

Those Who Wish Me Dead is another strong movie from Taylor Sheridan, who is on quite the roll. Great to have Angelina Jolie back on screen too, although I'd liked to have seen a bit more of the Aidan Gillen/Nicholas Hoult pairing. It's rare for me to say this but if anything, this could've done with being a little longer and fleshing out some of the backstories more. Still great, mind. I can't say the same about Without Remorse which is one of the most generic actioners I've seen in quite some time – I only watched it last week and already forgotten most of it. Michael B. Jordan really wasn't at his best here, too. Lastly, Godzilla vs Kong is the perfect example of a movie being ridiculously stupid but in a fun way that just works.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

I really liked Love and Monsters. It’s video gamey as fuck and has the best film dog in years. It did trigger my film dog anxiety though where I spend a good portion of the film worrying about whether the dog will live or die.