VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

A Quiet Place: Part II (in an actual fucking cinema). I have desperately missed going to the pictures and what a film to back with. You could have heard a pin drop throughout.

I think I spent half the film with my hand over my gob and the other half holding my jaw up. Just brilliantly tense with at least half a dozen great set pieces. And the two eldest kids, particularly the girl that plays the daughter, stole the whole show for me.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, DEF said:

Yep. It's on the section 3 list which means it wasn't up for obscenity prosecution charges but was subject to seizure.

I've not seen Xtro yet. It looks like a good laugh.

There's a bit with lots of goo that you'll never forget. It involves two people. All I'm saying. James Ferman's head must have exploded when he saw that particicular scene.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

In the Earth (cinema)

I haven't seen Rebecca but recently Ben Wheatley had started to resemble a competent filmmaker. But this is really not very good at all. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because it was created during Covid and that but just watch Annihilation. Or The Blair Witch Project, if you hate yourself. Joel Fry and Reece Shearsmith are awful as well.

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (cinema)

Really enjoyed the original but this one was no jokes and a lot of noise and no especially memorable action scenes. I'm disappointed even if nobody else is.

After Love (cinema)

This one caught my eye because it has Joanna Scanlan, who has been a superb character actor for years, in a lead role. She's incredible too, but in a film that's almost as good as she is. Unfussy relationship drama that's both heartbreaking and life-affirming. Really good stuff.

Firewall

Completely nondescript thriller that absolutely wastes a great cast on nothing of note, made during that period when Harrison Ford was even less arsed than usual.

• Paid Members

Taffin

Aside from the funny bit we've all seen with Brosnan doing the over the top delivery, and the fact it's got Father Ted's Dermot Morgan and Frank Kelly in it, this was boring bollocks. Put me in mind of a feature length episode of Lovejoy.

• Paid Members

Having finally seen Yesterday, I’d just like to declare that I much preferred Ed Sheeran playing himself in that film, as opposed to playing himself in Game Of Thrones.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Drop Dead Gorgeous. 

My word it’s a gem. Stellar performances all round. 

Best film I've seen this year so far. Just fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Best film I've seen this year so far. Just fantastic.

I knew nothing about it but my girlfriend said she saw it at the cinema when it came out and loved it so we stuck it on. Sam McMurray has to play Vince McMahon at some point, doesn’t he? It also made me miss Brittany Murphy all over again. 

• Paid Members

Haven't watched Drop Dead Gorgeous in donkeys years but it was one of my first DVDs back in 2000ish. Bought it in a 3 for 20 deal with Two Hands and In Too Deep I think. Watched it constantly. Cheers for that Keith I'm going to bung it on tonight.

Most of these are on various catch-up services.

Funny Cow (2017) (All 4)

A woman tries to forge a career as a comedian on the Northern club scene, whilst at the same dealing with an alcoholic mother and an abusive relationship. Very dark in places and it almost doesn’t need saying that Maxine Peake is excellent. Does jump around but worth a look.  There's also a bunch of random cameos in here like Vic Reeves, Richard Hawley, Diane Morgan, Paddy from Emmerdale etc. 

Buster (1988) (BBC 2)

Biopic of petty criminal Buster Edwards based around the events of the Great Train Robbery. Collins is surprisingly good in the lead role, but the film seems to fast-forward through events not really giving anything time to breathe. Still, decent though.  Look out for a young Steve McFadden, uncredited, as one of the gang.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985) (YouTube)

Dance TV, a popular television show, is auditioning to find a new regular couple and the new girl in town has her eyes set on winning it. Pure 80s cheese with all the tropes such as the disapproving father, the rival from the wealthy family vying for the same role and the comedic best friends.

24 Hour Party People (2002) (All 4)

It must be over fifteen years since I last watched this. Part biography of Tony Wilson/part story of Factory Records, the film centering heavily first around Joy Division and then the Happy Mondays. Coogan is good although I do get occasional Partridge vibes from him. An essential watch if you’re into the Manchester music scene.

Tennis (2013) (My 5)

Short film based on a true story. A woman returns home to find her house being burgled. This one did nothing for me. Joseph Gilgun seemingly acting like he does in everything I've seen him in.

Kinky Boots (2005) (BBC iPlayer)

After a chance meeting, a struggling shoe factory owner teams up with a drag queen to produce women’s shoes for men in an attempt to save the failing family business. A funny and uplifting comedy, if a tad predictable.

Stan & Ollie (2018) (BBC iPlayer)

Laurel & Hardy reunite for a 1953 tour of the UK in what turns out to be the duo’s swan song. The two leads will understandably get all the plaudits (Reilly is faultless and the spit of Oliver Hardy) but a special mention to for Shirley Henderson and Nina Arianda who were excellent as the respective wives. Moving, poignant and heart warming.

Those Glory Glory Days (1983) (All 4)

Coming of age story about four girls obsession with Tottenham Hotspur and their efforts to get FA Cup Final tickets in the hope of seeing them do “the double”. A charming, gentle comedy that was way better than I expected going in. Sara Sugarman is a joy as the boisterous Tony, and her and Zoe Nathenson looked to have huge careers ahead of them. Recommended.

Edited by Magnum Milano

Under Siege (ITV4)- A daft classic that my 12 year old son, who loves his action films, had somehow never seen so was the perfect excuse to stay up late with his dad. He had fun, went "Woah" when a bloke had a girder dropped on his face, thought Seagal's knife fighting technique and his obsession with pies was hilarious and kept the best poker face I've ever seen when Erika Eleniak came out of the cake.