VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Fracture

Gregory Hoblit made Fallen and Frequency so he's alright with me, and this is good fun too. Utterly absurd but terrific watching Tony Hopkins winding up Ryan Gosling for a couple of hours. Gosling decides to play his role drunk, but I still don't know why.

The Lovely Rosamund!!

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, WeeAl said:

This was a real gem of a find when I stumbled upon it a few months ago.

Talking Pictures: The gift that keeps on giving. 

I record at least 10 films a week off it. It just gets better and better.

The Croods: A New Age (cinema)

Any assumptions that this was going to be another lazy summer holidays cartoon release were dead wrong. This was genuinely great - very funny and just consistently weird and mental. The voice cast all do some amazing work, especially Cloris Leachman (who passed away earlier in the year) who was 93 when she did this. The biggest animated surprise since Storks.

Army of the Dead (Netflix) 

Wtf? Utterly and completely pointless 

Thunderbirds (Netflix) 

A Ford advert, with some slap stick and some knowingly camp and scene chewing shithousery. Self aware that it's awful and probably the best things are the beautifully animated opening credits and Parker. 

• Paid Members

The Purge Forever - It’s a Purge film in daylight. Has a few nice tracking shots as well. One of the stronger entries for me Clive. So you’re enjoyment / willing to see it will depend on you’re enjoyment of other films. 4,5,3,1,2

• Paid Members

I’m quite a Steven Soderbergh fan and looking forward to his new film No Sudden Move. I’ve just noticed I missed one of his films from last year called Let Them All Talk with Meryl Streep. 

Has anyone here seen it? Any good? Any ideas how I can watch it in UK?

Old:

Honestly, I've never wanted to walk out of a film ever but this one finally cracked me. Please, please, please, I beg of you, please do not punish yourself or subject any of your senses to this "film". 

Fuck M. Night Shyamalan, fuck this film, fuck the cunts who budgeted this fucking crap and fuck life for letting this absolute atrocity to exist.

Just fuck off. I really fucking hate myself that I paid for this shit.

PS: Apologies for the negativity but seriously fuck it every way humanely possible.

6 hours ago, Rule One said:

Old:

Honestly, I've never wanted to walk out of a film ever but this one finally cracked me. Please, please, please, I beg of you, please do not punish yourself or subject any of your senses to this "film". 

Fuck M. Night Shyamalan, fuck this film, fuck the cunts who budgeted this fucking crap and fuck life for letting this absolute atrocity to exist.

Just fuck off. I really fucking hate myself that I paid for this shit.

PS: Apologies for the negativity but seriously fuck it every way humanely possible.

What was so bad about it? I've seen a lot of strong negative opinions on it.

Crawl

A daughter and her injured dad are trapped in a flooding crawl space under their old house with alligators during a hurricane. I do love a killer animal film and whilst it’s obviously no Jaws it’s not shit like those Sharknado type films. It literally writes itself in to a corner at times and requires a mammoth amount of suspension of disbelief but it has some great jumps and it’s on Netflix.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I thought Crawl was decent fun. The alligators look suitably menacing and some of the gore effects had me a bit queasy, especially early on.
Watched it with my wife, who's from Florida, and it turns out she has a deathly fear of alligators so it's the scariest film I've ever shown her.

Mausoleum - watched this through the Arrow player the other day, typical 80s cheesefest. A 10 year old orphan unlocks a demon who possesses her, and in adult life turns her into a manipulative seductress who kills anyone who gets on the wrong side of her. The make up effects for when she turns demonic are good as it’s the suit for the demon but the glowing eye effect is really hokey

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Crawl

A daughter and her injured dad are trapped in a flooding crawl space under their old house with alligators during a hurricane. I do love a killer animal film and whilst it’s obviously no Jaws it’s not shit like those Sharknado type films. It literally writes itself in to a corner at times and requires a mammoth amount of suspension of disbelief but it has some great jumps and it’s on Netflix.

Sequel coming soon too! Same director but different location, so no Kaya unfortunately.

The VVitch- Been meaning to watch this for a while as I like my folk horror. It was alright, not a lot happened and most of the dialogue was really mumbly so there were bits I had no clue what was happening. The last ten minutes or so were strong but not enough to make up for the rest of it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

I remember enjoying Aja’s remake of The Hills Have Eyes a lot. Might have to have a browse through his backlog.

He's definitely had his moments. Oxygen was pretty good (on Netflix), The Hills Have Eyes was really good, and Switchblade Romance was great until one of the worst twists in cinema history. And Piranha 3D!