VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

What was so bad about it? I've seen a lot of strong negative opinions on it.

The dialogue was dire, comical levels and communicated the story very badly.

Everything that tried to tie the plot together was full of holes that could and should have been tidied when going over the script.

Spoilers Below:

Spoiler

Earlier in the film when they discover what the beach is doing to them, one of the women tells a younger girl to use her spare outfit as she needs to cover up. However the other younger ones clothes just magically grow. There's no explanation how some of the jumps happen. It's too far fetched that a body/time jump where the older bodied version of the characters are supposed to be their mentally younger selves but they're not if that makes any sense.

The trauma suffered via the confusion, deaths and general fuckery of the situation is brushed off and somehow these mentally younger but older bodies can understand and adapt to it.Ā 

It just made no sense with little to no explanation the audience need to make that jump. I mean how did they learn anything in between the ageing/body process.

Oh and the big reveal of monitoring the beach and its subjects to help cure world diseases/problems was a big WTF moment. Not because of the reveal but again, zero explanation on how they've managed this.

There's something there in the premise but this just isn't it. If someone enjoys it or understands it's "layers", power to you. I'm still mad 12 hours later.

• Paid Members

There's not a single M Night Shymalan film or TV show I've seen where any of the characters act like any real personĀ would in that scenario. Either he has no grasps on genuine human interactions andĀ dynamics or it's an intentional artistic choice. Either way, even in his bad stuff I find that aspect of his work enjoyable to watch.

• Paid Members

Something Wild

Such a weird little gem this. Between this and Married to the Mob, Jonathan Demme made two of the most offbeat and brilliant romcoms of the 80s. Far more interesting than The Silence of the Lambs and most of the stuff he made thereafter.

The Man with the Golden ArmĀ (Prime)

Was Frank Sinatra a better actor than singer? Maybe, Clive, maybe. This isn't even his best performance but certainly *one* of his best. Rare to see a film around this time tackle drug addiction so head-on but it's unflinching and the cold turkey scene is better than the Trainspotting one too.

McVicarĀ 

Roger Daltrey, in prison, with his fellow inmates chanting at a nonce "Sex case, sex case, hang him, hang him, hang him!" And it wasn't even Pete Townshend.

Sudden FearĀ (1952) (ok.ru)

Quite brilliant noir where Joan Crawford makes the mistake of pissing off Jack Palance. Then again, he then makes the mistake of pissing her off. A match made in heaven! Some incredible silent acting in this, and a fittingly bleak ending. One of the best things I've watched this year.

The Blue DahliaĀ (ok.ru)

Impossible for me to think badly of anything starring Veronica Lake, but this is one of the best earlier noirs regardless. Alan Ladd's a right old plank of wood as ever but the support cast and the storyline are spot on.

Pool of LondonĀ (Talking Pictures TV)

Notable for being the first British film to feature a black actor (Earl Cameron) in a leading role, and the first to feature an interracial romance. Basil Dearden was usually at the forefront of progressive cinema in his day, and this is socially conscious as well as being a great character study and crime drama. Well worth catching when it next does the TPTV rounds.

• Paid Members

The Millionaires'Ā ExpressĀ (1986) Hybrid Cut - I'dĀ never seen this one butĀ  I'm up for any classic Sammo Hung and this was a treat. I vaguely remember old trailers for this on the Hong Kong Legends DVDs but honestly I didn't even realise it was a Western.

Really fun stuff. They clearly spent a ton on this.Ā This sets are top notch and it's got a who's who of Hong Kong actors in it. The comedy is very silly and broad which isn't for everyone but it never got annoying like in the Lucky Stars Trilogy.

The only real negative is some flippant references to sexual assault that were played for laughs which worryingly I've noticed a fair bit in Sammo's films.

The action as you'd expect isĀ great but they only really kick off in the final act so if you're looking for constant wall to wall action you might be a bit disappointed.

There are some absolutely INSANE falls in this that rival the clock tower in Project A.

Spoiler

Particularly Yuen Biao flipping off the top of a three story building, landing on his feet and carrying on with the scene.

The new Bluray from Eureka is superb. The restoration is phenomenal. If your a fan then its highly recommended.

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Jungle Cruise

I'll watch The Rock in anything these days but a film with Jesse Plemons in it too? Absolutely.

Loved the ride references. Good classic adventure feel to the film. Still fancy the pants off Emily Blunt and Jack Whitehall wasn't terrible at all.

I'm convinced The Rock will sign up for any film that has Jungle in the title.Ā  Jack Whitehall?Ā  Fuck thatĀ 

3 minutes ago, Perry said:

I'm convinced The Rock will sign up for any film that has Jungle in the title.Ā  Jack Whitehall?Ā  Fuck thatĀ 

I'm not the biggest Whitehall fan. I felt he was pretty harmless here. Certainly not a role that should put anyone off watching it. And at least it's not James Corden.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DEF said:

The only real negative is some flippant references to sexual assault that were played for laughs which worryingly I've noticed a fair bit in Sammo's films.

It's not just Sammo's films. It's commonplace in Hong Kong action films from around that time. Even Jackie's films were prone to it occasionally.