VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

He wasn't even joking, Mab.

Either way I still don't have a clue what the fuck the Corden shite is all about. 

I can't stand James Corden, but once again I'll go along with it if it keeps you happy, Rickster 

Edited by Perry

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's not just Sammo's films. It's commonplace in Hong Kong action films from around that time. Even Jackie's films were prone to it occasionally.

I think it must have been fairly acceptable in their culture at the time but it certainly hasn't aged well. I can't think of instances of it in JC's films (not saying they aren't there just my shoddy memory and being in denial that JC ever did anything wrong) but In practically every Sammo film I can think of there's been overt attempted sexual assaults and flippant rape threats played for laughs. Utterly bizarre. Then again you also have the CAT III films that were full of rape as well.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'll watch The Rock in anything these days

The Rock has this unique magical power in that I'll happily watch him in anything despite every single film he's ever done being an absolute pile of turgid shite. He has the worst track record of any Hollywood leading man probably ever but everyone still loves him.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, DEF said:

I think it must have been fairly acceptable in their culture at the time but it certainly hasn't aged well. I can't think of instances of it in JC's films (not saying they aren't there just my shoddy memory and being in denial that JC ever did anything wrong) but In practically every Sammo film I can think of there's been overt attempted sexual assaults and flippant rape threats played for laughs. Utterly bizarre. Then again you also have the CAT III films that were full of rape as well.

I'm thinking more of Jackie's earlier films but I've seen so many I can't remember specific examples now! I think it's certainly a cultural thing, perhaps across the Far East because there's a lot of it in Japanese cinema around that time and earlier too.

Watched a trio of Disney films this afternoon, all on Disney Plus

Soul - been meaning to get round to watching this since it was released at Christmas, its a nice premise and the animation is beautiful but I felt it dragged a bit in parts

Luca - I liked the look of it from the trailer and it didn't disappoint, again the the animation was gorgeous and it was a beautiful story, couldn't stand the titular character's mum though, proper snide right until her face turn at the end

Raya and the Last Dragon - I surprisingly enjoyed it, wasn't expecting to as it looked a bit similar in style to Mulan but it was good, though I found the dragon to be very annoying in her human form

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm thinking more of Jackie's earlier films but I've seen so many I can't remember specific examples now! I think it's certainly a cultural thing, perhaps across the Far East because there's a lot of it in Japanese cinema around that time and earlier too.

Ah right yeah the Lo Wei 70s films. With the exception of Shaolin Wooden Men I've only seen JC's output once so it makes sense why it doesn't ring a bell. 

Japan's mental and fascinating. Look at animation. In 1989 the UK made The BFG, Japan made Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend. (As well as many other not mental animations but still)

Midsommar 

I think I’ll probably watch anything Ari Aster makes after this and Hereditary but I’ll never be sure if I actually like his films or not. One thing is certain, the guy knows how to unsettle an audience without showing them very much and really fucks them up when he shows them too much. A bit pretentious and wanky if you like that sort of thing.

Late to the party, but I saw Mortal Kombat last night. Like any MK game after MK3 not called Shaolin Monks, this was overdesigned, overcomplicated, nasty and boring. It shouldn't be this easy to fuck up Enter the Dragon where everyone has magic powers. It didn't know if it was a serious action flick or a cheesy kung fu movie, and clearly nobody had told the cast either. Why they had to invent a protagonist when MK lore has a hundred to choose from, I don't know. The audience watching an MK movie don't need a "gateway character" to empathise with, especially when he's as deathly dull as this. This has a huge case of rose tints fucking with the reality of what it was like to play this game - nobody gave a shit about Scorpion's lore, and certainly not the reactive antihero arc that developed 15 years after he first turned up as an undead ninja chasing Sub Zero. Two hours of constant exposition, only leavened by Kano being an absolute treat. Stop backstory-dumping via dialogue when "Bad news. Your beer's shit and you're nearly out" is all you need to get your character over.

I don't know exactly when this was filmed, but it suffered from the phenomenon I've seen in a lot of pando movies and TV where scenes and locations look bare and designed to minimise the number of people on set. It gives them this weird vibe like I had with the original Matrix films, where they kept saying it was the 'real world' but felt like a generic lifeless canvas for a small group of characters to walk around in. Outside the initial cage fight, the whole thing felt like it was set in the training arena of an MMORPG. 

Hard meh.

Edited by CavemanLynn

The Suicide Squad- Thoroughly enjoyed this and was belly laughing in parts. The big starfish villain from the trailer is pretty ridiculous but other than that I had a good time and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. 

Jungle Cruise- It was ok. Overly long to the point that our 9 year old just walked out of the room fed up before the half way point. Very Indiana Jones in places, highlighted with the score, with bits of The Mummy and the Jumanji sequels thrown in for good measure but nowhere near as good as any of them. Jack Whitehall was harmless enough, Big Dwayne busting out the dad jokes and Emily Blunt being typically great. Jesse Plemmons was easily the highlight though.

Nobody

Way better than being a John Wick rip off and despite it having obvious similarities it’s different enough. All action films are derivative anyway. I had no idea the actor playing his dad was in this film and I was thrilled to see him in this. Amazing scenes in the end where Bob Odenkirk isn’t the most out of place action hero on screen. Good fun.