VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

I've not updated in this thread for a while, will probably have more to add shortly.

The Art of Self-Defense (2019)

A meak, mild mannered accountant is mugged late one night and enrols at a Karate Dojo to learn self-defense, he ends up discovering a lot more than he bargained for though. A dark, dry comedy and not the modern day Karate Kid which I originally thought this may be. Gets a thumbs up from me.

Run (2020)

Alarm bells are set off for a wheelchair confined teen with a myriad of ailments when she finds pills she’s been taking but with her mother’s name on. Good thriller that bears some resemblance to the real life case in Mommy Dead and Dearest. Kiera Allen is excellent in her film debut.

Initiation (2020)

After a sorority sister is believed to have been sexually assaulted by members of a male fraternity, who have previous, those believed to be involved start being killed. The kills are the only high point here as outside of those this is pretty boring, the first thirty minutes especially.

How to Deter a Robber (2020)

Two burglars who have been ransacking homes in a quiet town accidentally make the mistake of targeting an occupied one. It had some funny moments and I liked how it went full circle but overall not for me. Will draw comparisons with Home Alone.

Da 5 Bloods (2020)

Four Vietnam vets return to the country to bring back the body of their fallen squad leader as well as some gold they buried at the time. Delroy Lindo gives the performance of a lifetime even outshining Clarke Peters. Two and a half hours that didn’t drag one bit. Both excellent and emotional.

BlacKkKlansman (2018)

The true story of an ambitious rookie black Colorado cop who, along with his Jewish colleague, goes undercover to infiltrate the KKK. Very powerful (the final real life footage is harrowing) with some light hearted moments along the way. Excellent performances all around in what is a must see film.

Red Road (2006)

A CCTV operator spots a man she recognizes on camera and sets about integrating herself into his life. Slow moving at times and It’s only in the final twenty minutes we discover her reasonings. Good, gritty independent Scottish flick with a standout performance from Kate Dickie. Also features a young Martin Compston.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

The Art of Self-Defense (2019)

A meak, mild mannered accountant is mugged late one night and enrols at a Karate Dojo to learn self-defense, he ends up discovering a lot more than he bargained for though. A dark, dry comedy and not the modern day Karate Kid which I originally thought this may be. Gets a thumbs up from me.

Wasn't a huge fan of this but the guy who directed it did a film called Faults, which is fantastic.

Rise of the Footsoldier

Watched this again as it's now on Sky Cinema.  It's the first and best of the Footsoldier movies as this one is true to the actual story compared to the others that followed.

Craig Fairbrass is fantastic at playing the role of an utter cunt. 

• Paid Members
On 7/31/2021 at 11:58 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Luca - I liked the look of it from the trailer and it didn't disappoint, again the the animation was gorgeous and it was a beautiful story, couldn't stand the titular character's mum though, proper snide right until her face turn at the end

I enjoyed Luca when we watched it with the kids. Strange concept, as the often are but well explained and delivered. Animation was stunning and the friendship between Luca and Alberto was charming. Thought the scenes where they were building the "Vespa" were very funny. A really nice film.

Watched Palm Springs too. That's a great film. Concept was a bit of a surprise, I'd read that Nyles and Sarah get stuck together at a wedding but didn't realise it would be in such Groundhog Day fashion. It's really, really well done, it looks great, the dialogue is smart, Andy Samberg is his brilliant self, the support casting is tremendous. Just a great piece of business. It really flew by.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Perry said:

Rise of the Footsoldier

Watched this again as it's now on Sky Cinema.  It's the first and best of the Footsoldier movies as this one is true to the actual story compared to the others that followed.

Craig Fairbrass is fantastic at playing the role of an utter cunt. 

I don't think I've ever been as angry in a cinema as I was after Rise of the Footsoldier. Irredeemable. Dread to think what the sequels are like. Aren't there something like 5 of them or something ridiculous?

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Craig Fairbrass’ finest work was doing a sportsman’s double that even Harry Kane wouldn’t want to take credit on Carol and Bianca in Eastenders. 

Absolutely not.

2 hours ago, DEF said:

I don't think I've ever been as angry in a cinema as I was after Rise of the Footsoldier. Irredeemable. Dread to think what the sequels are like. Aren't there something like 5 of them or something ridiculous?

4 with a 5th being released later this year.  By the time they done the Marbella one the franchise had morphed into a comedy genre

Villain is worth a watch. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Perry said:

4 with a 5th being released later this year.  By the time they done the Marbella one the franchise had morphed into a comedy genre

Villain is worth a watch. 

Frighteningly I hate myself enough to want to watch them all now.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think Full English Breakfast tops the lot of the shitpile. It’s quite the wretched film genre, isn’t it.  

I spent most of the film wondering what the fuck Dave Courtney was saying. Even the subtitles couldn’t pick up his cockney mumblings. 

Just now, Mr_Danger said:

Craig Fairbrass’ finest work was doing a sportsman’s double that even Harry Kane wouldn’t want to take credit on Carol and Bianca in Eastenders. 

For me it was his pom pom shaking during this performance of Mickey by Toni Basil during his days as a Top of the Pops backing dancer.