VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

23 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Buster (1988) (BBC 2)

Biopic of petty criminal Buster Edwards based around the events of the Great Train Robbery. Collins is surprisingly good in the lead role, but the film seems to fast-forward through events not really giving anything time to breathe. Still, decent though.  Look out for a young Steve McFadden, uncredited, as one of the gang.

Buster is a good film. Phil's not a bad actor.  I always remember when he turned up in an episode Miami Vice as a con man.

• Paid Members
On 6/10/2021 at 7:15 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Caliber 9 (ok.ru)

Another recommendation for @Scott Malbranque but he's far more versed on poliziotesschi than I am so I assume he's seen this one. Almost my favourite of the genre that I've seen to date, bruisingly violent with a top quality story. Brilliant ending too.

Absolutely fantastic, D-Mal. Never, ever seen this one but finally sat down to watch it last night at your recommendation. Could be recency bias, but I think this IS my fave of the genre now and I'm actually surprised this one wasn't remade in some shape or form.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Absolutely fantastic, D-Mal. Never, ever seen this one but finally sat down to watch it last night at your recommendation. Could be recency bias, but I think this IS my fave of the genre now and I'm actually surprised this one wasn't remade in some shape or form.

Ahh, superb! Glad you enjoyed it! I really must watch more of Di Leo's films as soon as I can because I've only seen this and The Italian Connection. Might watch Rulers of the City next.

Fast And Furious 9 (cinema). Took the boy for a cinema treat on Friday night. I'd had my second Covid jab earlier in the day and was drifting in and out of consciousness during the film to the point I thought I'd dreamt some of the weird shit that happened. Simultaneously the worst yet most entertaining film I've seen for a while.

The Blackcoat's Daughter (Amazon Crime). I'd never heard of this but saw it recommended by Last Exit To Nowhere on their Facebook and they normally hit the mark. Thought it was slow to get going but once it did I really enjoyed it.

Ice Road (Amazon Crime). This made Fast and Furious look like a masterpiece in comparison. Just utter dogshit.

Promising Young Woman (Amazon Crime). Absolutely loved this. I really feel like I need to show this to our 16 year old daughter. Bleak, genuinely shocking in places, well acted and way more psychological revenge than I was expecting from this type of film.

Gone Baby Gone (Netflix). I've put off watching this for years, I think I just assumed it would be super depressing. Turns out it's an enjoyable, twisty thriller. I find Casey Affleck really likeable and he's got a really strong cast around him in this.

got through a fair few films this weekend

Kill List - the reviews i read painted this out to be a great film, my god i was bored too tears, what a load of rubbish. when it come to the 'shocking' ending i just didnt care as i was that bored by the time it reached its conclusion.

12 Angry Men - first time watch for me, absolutely fantastic film. Loved it!

Now onto the first 4 Hellraiser films for me the first is a really good film, i know loads old it to a high esteem in horror circles. Maybe i don't hold it to that high level as i didnt see it as kid, i dont know but still a real good film. Infact the first 3 films i gave ***1/2 too on Letterboxd. Now for the 4th film (*** i rated it), Bloodline. This was good but, i think there was a really great film in here somewhere which could have been to the point am at the best in series. And as i suspected after doing some reading up, script changes, budget cuts and director changes seem to have changed what the original premise/vision for the film was. Such a shame

• Paid Members

A few horror/thrillers recently:

The Stylist (Arrow streaming)

I really, really liked this. It's a fairly simple horror story, about a hair stylist who stalks and/or kills her clients and scalping them. But it's very nicely done, very stylish, and contains the creepiest scene I've seen in ages, with the stylist going through her friend's room and belongings, and then... 

Spoiler

using her vibrator. Just the transgression and the intimacy of it. Eesh.

It doesn't quite land the ending, but it's a good time getting there. The lead, Najarra Townsend, is really good.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Cinema)

The Prince Charles was showing this, so that made a good reason to make my first trek there in a little while. It's a fairly early Giallo thriller, and Dario Argento's debut. I'd tried to watch it at home, but found it difficult to concentrate on - the pacing and the dubbing mean you either click into it or you don't. And some films just benefit from not being able to pause and make a cup of tea, or get distracted by your phone. So, this time around, I really liked it. It's very Hitchcockian in places, all slow and stylish. It's made on the budget of a bag of chips, but still looks beautiful in its own way with Ennio Morricone music. It also has a hilarious bit with a police computer printing out a 'perfect image of the criminal', which looks like a dot matrix version of a child's drawing.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The Stylist (Arrow streaming)

I really, really liked this. It's a fairly simple horror story, about a hair stylist who stalks and/or kills her clients and scalping them. But it's very nicely done, very stylish, and contains the creepiest scene I've seen in ages, with the stylist going through her friend's room and belongings, and then... 

Reveal hidden contents

using her vibrator. Just the transgression and the intimacy of it. Eesh.

It doesn't quite land the ending, but it's a good time getting there. The lead, Najarra Townsend, is really good.

Yeah, thought this was terrific. Actually really liked the ending but maybe I'm judging against almost all recent indie horror which never seem to get the ending right.

• Moderators

I watched Castaway on Netflix, having only ever seen bits of it on tv. Was nice to watch it properly and appreciate how well they establish his personality before the island. It's not amazing or anything but really solid - standard dependable Tom Hanks drama. I still hate Helen hunt though.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I still hate Helen hunt though.

Liked your post purely for this. I don't know what it is about her but I don't like it, I don't like it at all.

• Paid Members

I watched The Climb which I stumbled up on Sky early yesterday morning. I honestly don't know how much I rated it. I liked it, hence sticking with it but it's a film with a strange dynamic and I'm still not sure I get it all. I think some of it is just an excuse to play with the techniques and shoot some landscape but it works. The opening scene is next level brilliant. Two blokes on bikes shot with a "Tour De France" camera which appears to be one complete take climbing a hill without missing a beat. One of the most impressive things I've seen on film.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, thought this was terrific. Actually really liked the ending but maybe I'm judging against almost all recent indie horror which never seem to get the ending right.

I liked it, but thought it could have been more or continued on just a little. Also - 

Spoiler

In the reveal shot, she suddenly reminded me of one of the performers from SNL when she wears a wig, and it really took me out of it.

• Paid Members

The Stranger (1946) - (Amazon Prime)

Edward G. Robinson is his usual glorious self here as the investigator, trying to bring baddie Orson Welles past out into the open. Welles comes accross as suitably cold and detestable as he needs to based on his background, and you can't wait to see him get found out. 

The Odessa File (1974) (Sony Action)

Plenty of tension and suspense as Jon Bought, a reporter, hunts down Maximilian Schnell's SS Death camp commander in hiding. It's a bit of a thrill ride, with some edge of the seat moments when Voight is in danger, as well as a twist that I didn't see coming. 

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (1965) - (Talking Pictures)

Bleak. Hopeless. Misery, fear and sadness, all to what end? Is, I guess, part of the story this is trying to tell. It does it fantastically too. Richard Burton, in the scene at the car near the end, is captivating. Just a cat and mouse thriller, with all the twists being based on elaborate mind games between spy's, that doesn't truly reveal itself until the end. I had the ending spoiled for me, so I won't do it here, but yet another gem brought to me by Talking Pictures. 

Bird On A Wire (1990) - (Netflix)

However after all of that pretty heavy subject matter, full of death and miserableness, I needed something light-hearted. So stuck this on for a re-watch, to see Mel and Goldie faffing about. Good fun, as always. 

I watched Kill Me Again (1989) last night, after having not watched much of anything recently due to the Euros.

It's not a great film or anything but I really, really enjoyed it. It's by John Dahl, who did two other cracking neo-noirs (Red Rock West and The Last Seduction) and I just love the milieu, iconography and tone of his films. 

Give me something eighties/nineties with hapless private investigators, femme fatales, seedy motels and some twists and turns and I'm good to go. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into that sort of thing. Runs at a tight ninety minutes, too, which is always welcomed. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I watched Kill Me Again (1989) last night, after having not watched much of anything recently due to the Euros.

It's not a great film or anything but I really, really enjoyed it. It's by John Dahl, who did two other cracking neo-noirs (Red Rock West and The Last Seduction) and I just love the milieu, iconography and tone of his films. 

Give me something eighties/nineties with hapless private investigators, femme fatales, seedy motels and some twists and turns and I'm good to go. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into that sort of thing. Runs at a tight ninety minutes, too, which is always welcomed. 

Yeah, Dahl had a great run there but never really hit those heights again. Road Kill was good fun though.

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, Dahl had a great run there but never really hit those heights again. Road Kill was good fun though.

I liked Road Kill too. Dahl's done a lot of good stuff in TV in recent years, including episodes of Justified and Yellowstone. 

Devon, do you know of any good, perhaps more obscure films in the vein of Kill Me Again/Red Rock West? Those western neo-noirs are probably my favourite sub-genre of film and something I can watch any night of the week.