VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

That's reminded me I had the misfortune of watching Without Remorse the other day. It's one of the dullest, most generic and badly written 'action' films I've ever seen. Seriously eye rolling stuff. Avoid.

Not quite as bad was Honest Thief but only just. Neeson is way past pulling off an action role and this has one of those annoying identity crisis where it pretends it isn't just a ropey action film made solely off the back of Taken and trys to wedge in a bunch of emotion and amateur feeling dramatics. Also Avoid.

Palm Springs on the other hand is top notch fun.

Pledge (2018) (All 4)

A group of College freshmen pledge for what they think is an exclusive fraternity, but soon realize they’re involved in something far more deadly. A solid modern horror film with some stomach churning moments and an unsuspecting twist in the final third.

Bloodfight (1989) (YouTube)

I watched Bloodsport a day or so before for the first time in years and fancied something similar, getting slightly duped by JCVD's picture being on the YouTube thumbnail for this. After a Sensei’s student is killed in a Free Fighting tournament, he comes out of retirement to gain revenge. Stick Rocky, Karate Kid, and Bloodsport in a blender and you get this, Bolo Yeung practically playing the same villain as he did in the latter. Acting is desperate but can’t say I didn’t enjoy it.

Calendar Girl Murders (1984) (YouTube)

The girls on Paradise magazine’s calendar start being killed, one month at a time. Surely Paradise magazine and their owner is based on Hugh Hefner and Playboy? Early Sharon Stone is the primary draw here and with it being made for TV, it’s not too violent. Watchable but forgettable.

Oxford Blues (1984) (YouTube)

A Las Vegas student has seen the woman of his dreams, the only problem is she is at Oxford University in England. An early brat pack movie and the kind of movie that I’m a sucker for. Rob Lowe’s character is pretty darn selfish throughout though, but naturally everything works out and he gets his redemption in the end.

Northern Soul (2014)

John’s a loner who doesn’t have much of a focus in life, that is until he meets Matt at the local Youth Club and becomes ingrained in the Northern Soul scene with him. Enjoyable and of course the music is superb but at times come across as much about drugs as it does about the music.

One Cut of the Dead (2017) (All 4)

The recommendation on here was enough for me to check it out and I'm glad I did. A director is given the task of filming a zombie movie for a new TV channel, only issue is it is going to air live and be shot in one take. Hilarious, innovative and very, very clever. "Come on monster, get her!"  Oh yeah, and All 4 are showing this advert free.

Daphne (2017) (All 4)

A woman witnesses a shopkeeper get stabbed and struggles to deal with what she saw. Emily Beecham is good, but I just didn’t find this that compelling, also it’s tough to care about Daphne the way she carries on in her life and treats people.

• Moderators

Spiral the film is worse than Spiral the rapper from Big Brother 7. I thought it was meant to be a good, smart version of the Saw films, with Chris Rock instead of people you've never heard of, but instead, it's a worse, dumber version. Amazing really. Plot holes everywhere, and a fucking clunker of a script, filled with "you have got to be kidding me!" lines you've heard 1000 times before. Hard avoid.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Spiral the film is worse than Spiral the rapper from Big Brother 7. I thought it was meant to be a good, smart version of the Saw films, with Chris Rock instead of people you've never heard of, but instead, it's a worse, dumber version. Amazing really. Plot holes everywhere, and a fucking clunker of a script, filled with "you have got to be kidding me!" lines you've heard 1000 times before. Hard avoid.

@Mike Castle

• Paid Members

Cruella is another film fired out of the "did we need to know a villains backstory to make them sympathetic" canon from Disney. That said, it is certainly their best of those efforts, Emma Stone does a great job of being a criminal mastermind Vivian Westwood, Emma Thompson has a great turn as does the always reliable Paul Water Hauser with his best Bob Hoskins impression and Joel Fry as Cruella's lackies and John McCrea as yet another of Disney's first time openly gay characters, although on this occasion he openly is. But the whole cast is great apart from Kayvan Novak who seems out of place as Roger. Fantastic soundtrack as well. Maybe about 15 minutes too long, and come of the CGI work is poor, but I enjoyed this much more then I had expected.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Paul Water Hauser with his best Bob Hoskins impression

I really like Hauser and I've heard great things about this so if someone could do a cut just of his performance preferably hosted illegally somewhere that would be great.

• Paid Members

I've been watching a lot of crime films. More so than usual. The first couple of these I'm convinced would be of particular interest to @Scott Malbranque

The Burglars (ok.ru)

I mentioned the car chase in another thread the other day but the rest of it is pretty great too. Features Jean-Paul Belmondo doing one of the most unnecessarily dangerous stunts of all time, but the story's great and it's loads of fun.

The Brain (1969)

The humour in this is VERY French, so it will sink or swim depending on if you can tolerate that. More mental stunts from Belmondo, David Niven argues with his pet panther, and Eli Wallach has problems with swimming pool infllatables. Really, really stupid but I loved it.

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

Faye Dunaway wanking off a chess piece is really the interesting thing about this and we've all seen that scene already, right lads? Even Steve McQueen looks bored.

The Last Mile (1959) (ok.ru)

Mickey Rooney's always going to be best known for his comedy work but in the 50s he did a clutch of noirs and dramas where he excelled - but this is his very best. Turns this Death Row psychological drama into a great thriller in its second half, playing a completely unrepentant bastard. Brilliant.

Shifty 

Be interested to know what fellow Daniel Mays despiser @Astro Hollywood made of this. By his standards, Mays is quite good in this although hugely outshone by Riz Ahmed, obviously. Pretty good film, this, a nice change from the usual British crime stuff.

The Accused (1949) (ok.ru)

Fantastic thriller with uni lecturer Loretta Young trying to evade being found out for killing the student who sexually assaulted her. Builds tension so well and has a surprising ending, too. 

• Paid Members

15 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've been watching a lot of crime films. More so than usual. The first couple of these I'm convinced would be of particular interest to @Scott Malbranque

The Burglars (ok.ru)

The Brain (1969)

Lovely! I've never even heard of either of those flicks, D-Mal, so that's my Bank Holiday Monday here sorted.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Lovely! I've never even heard of either of those flicks, D-Mal, so that's my Bank Holiday Monday here sorted.

https://ok.ru/video/1413752818245

https://ok.ru/video/1301693205017

Enjoy!

Prime Cut is something I've been meaning to watch for ages, after watching a bit of it on TCM late one night many moons ago. I really liked it, mostly because of the performances of Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman and Sissy Spacek. It's also only around 85 minutes, so it zips by. 

I also really enjoyed Dying Room Only, an efficient 75-minute made-for-TV film from the 70's about a couple who stop off at a diner in a small Arizona town, only for the wife to return from the bathroom with her husband missing. It has a really menacing air and is very simply but very effective. Reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode or something. Good cast, too. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Prime Cut is something I've been meaning to watch for ages, after watching a bit of it on TCM late one night many moons ago. I really liked it, mostly because of the performances of Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman and Sissy Spacek. It's also only around 85 minutes, so it zips by. 

Prime Cut is a cult UKFF fave. Love that film.

22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Prime Cut is a cult UKFF fave. Love that film.

I'm really glad I went back and watched it. The moment where the Hackman and Marvin characters first interact, with all the underlying tension, convinced me it was going to be great. 

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

Saw has always been shit, but a good few of them had big "OH!" moments that I'd feel stupid for reacting to and/or not seeing them coming. This was predictable trash the whole way through. You know you've fucked up big time when people are saying it "doesn't even feel like a Saw film" and it's for the worse.

It's just a really, really shit Seven.

Saw has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and when I first heard that Chris Rock was involved in making one in whatever year it was announced I thought it was an April Fools joke.

Spiral is probably the most well made the series will ever look, Rock and Samuel L Jackson’s involvement seemingly convincing someone to allow for an upswing in budget, but that’s about all it’s got going for it. The first victim starts off looking like The Man From Del Monte and it takes Samuel L Jackson 36minutes to say motherfucker. 
The ending, whilst being massively predictable thanks to the series’ own “stick with it, there’s a huge twist at the end” trope, was ultra rushed and flat as anything.

At least Darren Lynn Bousman seems to gotten over his need to include multiple “pretentious film school prick” scene transitions though

Edited by WyattSheepMask