VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

^ Fucking hell, I feel like every film I saw the trailer for before the cinemas shut has ended up on Netflix. Was looking forward to taking my daughter to see that.

Likewise. I’d deliberately not shown mine the trailer because I was planning to take her. Still, it haves us something new to watch on a Bank Holiday weekend 

• Paid Members

I watched the trailer and thought Mitchells vs Machines looked a bit too “busy” for my daughter (she’s more a Totoro kind of kid) but maybe I’ll check it out one evening based on your reviews

One to avoid....She Dies Tomorrow - I think I was half engaged for one scene and that was it. Just found it really irritating and boring. One of those films where I just cant understand how anyone can love it

• Paid Members

Drop Dead Gorgeous (Prime)

I mean, it's just brilliant, this. Can't remember many films that just have such a machine-gun firing rate of actually funny jokes that lend every single time. The cast are perfect, the message behind it is spot on, and it's really stupid it took me so long to watch it.

School of Rock (Prime)

Not sure why Richard Linklater hasn't made more studio films based on this. Wasn't a big fan of it when I saw it at the cinema but I was clearly wrong, even if it's not as funny as is often suggested. I guess it hinges a lot on whether you like Jack Black as well, and I do.

The Wedding Singer (Prime)

About as funny as an Adam Sandler can realistically be - which is, not hugely, but it has its moments. The cover version of Holiday is the clear highlight, and Christine Taylor.

The Sniper (Dailymotion)

Brilliant 1950s thriller about a proto-incel who starts picking off women around San Francisco. Clearly influential on Dirty Harry, there are some amazingly shot scenes here, just a great film.

This week's batch of horror/slasher fare.  Some real stinkers here.

Hollywood Meat Cleaver Massacre (1977) (YouTube)

Students attack a college professor in his own home, leaving him for dead and killing his family. Paralyzed and confined to his hospital bed, he then uses psychic powers to exact revenge. This occult stuff is not for me at all. Pretty awful. Oh, and where was the meat cleaver?

Drive-In Massacre (1976) (YouTube)

Amorous couples get slaughtered and killed at the Drive-In. Didn’t think this was as bad as the reviews I subsequently read, although the lack of definitive conclusion is disappointing (it probably played better to those watching at the theatre). FX are primitive.

Bog (1979) (YouTube)

A mysterious creature lurks beneath Bog Lake, attacking and killing humans and sucking out their blood. Low budget, cheap looking flick goes from boring to laughable when you finally see what this creature looks like. Dreadful.

Nightmares (1980) (YouTube)

Australian psychological slasher set predominantly in a theatre. The killer’s identity is supposed to be a secret but it’s obvious who it is from their first kill. Poor editing throughout and some very explicit sex scenes featuring a nude Pam Willis in one! Below average.

Pledge Night (1990) (YouTube)

Sid Scheider is killed in a hazing prank, 20 years later he returns to the fraternity house to torment a new batch of pledges and brothers during “hell week”.  Low brow, fun slasher that is pure Animal House before the horror part begins. Egg whisk down the throat is my new favourite creative kill!

Sleepaway Camp (1983) (YouTube)

Ricky and his cousin Angela go to a Summer Camp, soon after their arrival on the site bodies start turning up dead. Not the Friday the 13th rip-off I was expecting. The end will catch you totally off guard and is something you won’t forget in a hurry, if ever. A strong recommendation.

Three on a Meathook (1972) (YouTube)

Billy Townsend invites four girls back to his farm house after their car breaks down, during the night all four are murdered. Slow moving, padded, grainy, proto-slasher. While you can probably work out where this is going, the reasoning is quite shocking. Really dug the musical interlude at the bar.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Drive-In Massacre (1976) (YouTube)

Amorous couples get slaughtered and killed at the Drive-In. Didn’t think this was as bad as the reviews I subsequently read, although the lack of definitive conclusion is disappointing (it probably played better to those watching at the theatre). FX are primitive.

Nightmares (1980) (YouTube)

Australian psychological slasher set predominantly in a theatre. The killer’s identity is supposed to be a secret but it’s obvious who it is from their first kill. Poor editing throughout and some very explicit sex scenes featuring a nude Pam Willis in one! Below average. 

Drive-In Massacre is watchable but the thing is there are two versions. A TV cut and theatrical. The theatrical is one of the most bloated and plodding films I've ever seen. The TV version is about 20 minutes shorter and a far snappier, fun time.

Nightmares sounds top. Not heard of that one. As a fellow slasher nerd and Neighbours lifer I must seek it out. Thanks very much.

Have you read Teenage Wasteland: The Teenage Slasher Movie Book by J.A Kerswell? If not it will be right up your ally. Also his website Hysteria-lives.com and the Hysteria Continues podcast are worth a look.

Put The Mitchells Vs The Machines on for my daughter whilst I cooked tea today and she absolutely adored it. I came in about halfway through and pretty much laughed until the end. I'll probably watch it all the way through tonight. If the first half is as good as the second it'll probably usurp Kubo and the Two Strings as my favourite kids film of my daughter's lifetime.

5 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Put The Mitchells Vs The Machines on for my daughter whilst I cooked tea today and she absolutely adored it. I came in about halfway through and pretty much laughed until the end. I'll probably watch it all the way through tonight. If the first half is as good as the second it'll probably usurp Kubo and the Two Strings as my favourite kids film of my daughter's lifetime.

That’s pretty much how I’ve seen it twice with mine and I loved it. I put Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 1 and 2 on back to back for them afterwards, still great. Think the sequel is better to be honest.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Tigerland - Believe it or not, this was the first time I ever saw this. My goodness, it was a fantastic watch.
Colin Farrell was (a) ludicrously attractive and charismatic and (b) a very, very talented actor. I actually fell in love with his character Bozz for the duration (the character reminds me of one of my mates, actually) and everyone plays their parts to perfection, particularly Shea Wigham. Plus, the criminally underrated and underused Cole Hauser is always a joy to see pop up on my screen.
Oul Joel Schumacher enjoyed a fair bit of undercracker, didn't he? There was a fierce amount of subtle (or, not so) crotch shots with jibbling willies bopping about throughout.

Stark Raving Mad - One of my guilty pleasures. Seann William Scott running a heist, in a movie with a Demigod in Sir John Digweed, holding court with the sounds. So many goosebumps and feels, as the bin lids would say.

Nine Dead - My niece wanted to watch this because Sabrina the Teenage Witch was in a slasher movie. It was fucking poxy. The acting was horrific (although to be fair, Sabrina belted out a decent monologue that briefly stunned me) and the ending looked like it was edited by Bobby Bowfinger. Genuinely, the last five minutes were reminiscent of this:

Edited by Scott Malbranque