VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

43 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

and Wood's struggles never really amount to anything, as he just consistently solves them almost immediately, there's no sense of him ever actually struggling to achieve anything, so the few scenes of him despondent don't feel significant at all. The fact that he's missed three rent payments is introduced and dismissed within one scene. 

See, that's what I love about it. It absolutely loves these characters. For me its the perfect moment of Depp and Burton. Everything is played up in that 'movie' fashion. Its heightened.

Depp is a charming cartoon character and everyone else is incredibly specific. The real world issues creep in but it lets move on it doesn't matter. SJP is basically the audience coming in saying whats wrong with everyone in this and its almost like the rational people are the villains.

The ending is incredibly hopeful and Hollywood and then it comes up with Ed Wood died of alcoholism. The realism just seeps in at the edges. Its a perfect celebration of delusion and its superb.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Silent Partner (1978, Talking Pictures TV) I hadn't heard of this before, but saw Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer as the stars and I was sold. It's a thriller with a really nice set-up -

Yuen Biu's first lead role if memory serves, hence half the film basically being a showreel for him. Groundhog Day Andie McDowell plays Rita, a producer newly employed by a TV network that she

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ed Wood is also one of the two good Tim Burton films.

Whilst not brilliant, I did enjoy his Dumbo. Probably because in my mind it happened in the Big Fish universe. 

The last Tim Burton film I liked was BIG FISH. Though I have never watched it again  so could have just been in a decent mood that day.

BEETLEJUICE and PEE WEES BIG ADVENTURE were two films I constantly watched as a kid so still love them.

2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Nobody : Well, this is really the movie of the year thus far for me. In fairness, I love these type of movie, and in a miserable world, full of gik and people jumping out of your way and jazz handing if you walk past them in the shops, this movie has given me hope that there's still fun and humour left in someone, somewhere out there.
Never would I ever have had Odenkirk as a bollock out Chev Chelios-esque action hero, but here we are, and there he was. A fantastically enjoyable movie that took me away from a shite world for a couple of hours.

Watched it this afternoon. Just a fantasticly fun film, batshit crazy in the best possible way. There were so many points I shouted HOLY FUCK out loud and I had to rewind a few seconds to watch it again I was starting to annoy the wife. Can't wait to watch it again.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Where can I watch Nobody in decent quality?

I got it off a t*rrent site, Chest. One of the lads in work watched it on some bogey app on his Smart TV though.
But the usual nefarious suspects will all have it up now, I'd imagine.

4 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

We're - as always - ten steps behind you guys here in Ireland (and pretty much the rest of the developed world)

I'm seeing this opinion more and more of late but it's only looking up in the UK because all the vulnerable are already dead.

• Paid Members

Alien - You know you're getting old when John Hurt and Tom Skerritt don't look that old, and Sigourney looks like only a pup. Mental, jarring stuff compared to how I used to perceive them all years ago. Still and all, such a magnificent movie with an unbearable, almost evil tension throughout.
I never knew that Veronica Cartwright's character, Lambert, was canonically transgender either, which adds another layer (particularly her death scene) to an already ludicrously layered movie.
Aliens is still better though. Mainly because it's the greatest movie ever made.

Vanquish - Next to Open Water, possibly the worst movie I've ever sat through. I'm not even being dramatic in saying that. It's fucking poxy.

• Paid Members
On 4/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Hustler / The Color of Money (pirate)

Fascinating to watch these back-to-back, to see Eddie Felson's character development despite the quarter of a century gap between the two. The way he becomes the main character in the latter is great work by Scorsese, and this is one of his most underrated films. The Hustler is the better in terms of emotional investment and performances, but The Color of Money is almost as satisfactory in terms of story development.

Newman may be my all time favourite, the man oozes charisma and people have been trying to recapture it for years. I could watch color of money and The Sting on loop forever. I'm gutted they moved away from the original story of him having to face Fats in the sequel as it would have been great to see two past their prime greats with 30 years of hate. 

Cruise needs to play a prick more. He really has a natural unlikeable quality about him. 

Oh and Scorsese on coke really loves dolly zooms, doesn't he. 

Despite it being critically panned and having a shocking 8% on Rotten Tomatoes, I had an absolute blast watching House II: The Second Story. The tone is much more consistent than the first one, meaning this was full-on taking the piss with how silly the plot is. The special effects are endearingly shit, but the comedy landed surprisingly well. Add to this one to the pile of sequels than are better than the original. 

I saw my first blaxploitation film and it didn't see my world on fire. Superfly felt like a shoddily-made remake of Dirty Harry without the charm or engaging plot. The soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield is incredible and the costumes looked incredibly cool. Ron O'Neal portrayal of the cool and charismatic drug-pusher Youngblood Priest was also another highlight, but that's where my praises end for this one. Priest ruining a decent ending by throwing homophobic slurs at our villain killed the mood for me. It was okay overall, but I'm in no hurry to check out any more blaxploitation movies if they are similar to this one. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, pitseleh said:

I saw my first blaxploitation film and it didn't see my world on fire. Superfly felt like a shoddily-made remake of Dirty Harry without the charm or engaging plot. The soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield is incredible and the costumes looked incredibly cool. Ron O'Neal portrayal of the cool and charismatic drug-pusher Youngblood Priest was also another highlight, but that's where my praises end for this one. Priest ruining a decent ending by throwing homophobic slurs at our villain killed the mood for me. It was okay overall, but I'm in no hurry to check out any more blaxploitation movies if they are similar to this one. 

Yeah, Superfly is awful. Across 110th Street might be a better starting point as it's a better crossing point between gritty 70s crime and blaxploitation.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

For the most part though the aesthetics and the soundtrack are the best part of most blaxploitation films. Across 110th street is a real standout out the genre  (from what I've seen anyway, I am by no means a connoisseur)

Edited by Chest Rockwell
  • Paid Members

Yep, genres be gosh darned. Across 110th Street and Trouble Man are just good crime movies in general.
Dolemite is wonderful. It's fucking woeful, but simultaneously joyous and wonderful.
I actually got into Blaxploitation through Dolemite, which in turn was through one of my favourite guilty pleasure movie in 'The Great White Hype".
I've no idea why 'The Great White Hype' is as maligned as it is. Very quotable, with moments that literally had me creased.
His little face, honestly does me every time. I love Peter Berg so much: