VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Tom Six, creator of the Human Centipede films, resurfaced on Twitter this afternoon after a 10-month absence. His new film, The Onania Club, has been ready to go for a couple of years but still hasn't been released, despite a few press screenings last summer which resulted in unanimous praise. Turns out no distributor will go anywhere near it, so if you've been looking forward to seeing it, you might still have a fairly long wait...

47 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

He sounds like a right insufferable prick.

You'd swear he made Shindlers List or Commando and not a load of shlocky bollocks.

I read some of the "unanimous praise" that this new film has got and all the reviewers seem to be the type of people who think The Human Centipede trilogy is some kind of modern masterpiece in horror and that the people who slate it just don't "get it".

Some recent stuff, finally getting around to watching a few I'd downloaded Halloween time.  Three I enjoyed, two not much so.

Terror Train (1980)

A fraternity hazing prank goes awry, fast forward three years later and at a Graduation costume party being held on a train, those involved start getting bumped off.  Little in the way of suspense and gore and even the twist regarding the killer I saw coming.  Mediocre.

Night School (1981)

A mysterious motorcycle helmet wearing killer decapitates their victims, all of whom have a link to a local night school. Despite some red herrings the I.D. of the killer is fairly obvious, as is what happens at the end.  Still, I thought this was pretty good slasher/thriller.

The Girl in the Picture (1985) (YouTube)

Alan works as a photographer and is in a relationship he wants out of.  When his girlfriend beats him to the punch, he decides that he does want her after all.  A gentle romantic comedy, quite subtle at times, although it does feel like a Gregory’s Girl sequel.  Fun side-story with Gregor Fisher as an elder groom too.

The Driver (1978)

Ryan O’Neal plays a highly skilled getaway driver for hire, one who has always evaded capture, ‘the Detective’ has his sights set on him though.  Another good’un from Walter Hill with some thrilling high-speed car chases. I also liked how everyone is just referred to as the Driver, the Detective, the Player, Glasses, Teeth etc.  No real names.  Not too sure how the police knew to be at the train station mind.

Final Exam (1981)

A not-very-menacing killer lurks around Lanier College killing students. Why? Who knows? No backstory or reason is ever given. The acting is laughably bad with the tone set in the opening scene. Also way too much filler time where little of note happens before a frantic final 35 minutes. Terrible.

Edited by Magnum Milano

Dark Angel (Aka I Come In Peace.) I watched this when I was younger and always got some of the details mixed up with other films similar to this but it was an easy watch with bags of cheesy silliness and violence. Dolph Lundgren's hair do is very off putting in this.

Dead Man's Shoes Annual rewatch, still great. 

US Made out to be a masterpiece and a new direction for horror. Nope. Its a solid film but there's just so many holes to poke through, its messy and the final third/explanation was a big disappointment. Don't even get me started on how laughable some of the characteristics were. 

• Awards Moderator

Just watching North by Northwest for the hundredth time and I’m astounded at how good it is with every watch.

I know loads of films have pivotal moments, but the scene at the start where Thornhill’s worry and shout to the bellboy leading to the plot of the entire film is so, so good. The goons in the background and the camera panning to them as he raises his hand sets the rest of the film up and it all happens in about four seconds.

Emile!

7 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Just watching North by Northwest for the hundredth time and I’m astounded at how good it is with every watch.

I know loads of films have pivotal moments, but the scene at the start where Thornhill’s worry and shout to the bellboy leading to the plot of the entire film is so, so good. The goons in the background and the camera panning to them as he raises his hand sets the rest of the film up and it all happens in about four seconds.

Emile!

It's one of those movies that I only got round to watching properly a few years back because I'm a bit of an idiot like that. There are certain movies I feel I know really well even though I haven't seen them, or they're so hyped up etc that I kinda stay away because they can often end up a disappointment off the back of too high expectations. And yet this completely blew me away. I've lost track of how many times I've watched it since, but I absolutely adore it. Really kickstarted a love of 50s/60s films too, and Hitchcock in general. 

• Paid Members

Only one partial miss and four hits over the last few days. The partial miss was because I didn't watch it all in order to be able to slate it fully. 

It was decided when we got a Chinese the other night that we'd watch Coming 2 America. I had been putting it off as I just had the feeling it was going to be painfully shite. Well, we managed twenty minutes before everyone looked at each other and said what the others were thinking "Is there anything else on?" Twenty of the most boring minutes I've ever spent watching anything in all my life. There's no way I was watching anymore of it once I got to the point of finishing my dinner. I'd have had to find a different room if the others weren't in the same mind. 

Thankfully, the rest of the weekend I went into business for myself and did the picking. 

Identity (2003) - Amazon Prime

This was good fun, with a neat twist at the end. No standout performances or anything, but I'm usually on board with some kind of mystery/thriller going down in shitty weather in a one horse town. Especially when they get the run time right - 89 minutes. What's not to like?

Liar (Deceiver?) (1997) - Amazon Prime

Tim Roth was very good here. Pretty much Roth, Chris Penn and Michael Rooker together in an interrogation room for the duration, with some flashbacks to fill in the story a bit. Rooker and Penn's character's are interrogating Roth, who turns out to be no slow dozer and has a trick or two up his sleeve. Plenty of back and forth dialogue, and Roth and Rooker in particular did a great job I thought. 

Night Falls on Manhattan (1996) - Amazon Prime

This was great. Really, really excellent. A story of Idealism and Corruption, and the discovery of whether or not they are really parallel lines or full of intersections. Two cops (Gandolfini) and Ian Holm are staking out one of Harlem's biggest and baddest. Andy Garcia is a young, aspiring assistant district attorney. Richard Dreyfuss is his opposition for the defence. Ron Leibman is brilliant fun in a minor role as Garcia's boss. If you haven't seen this before then I highly recommend it. 

Collateral Damage (2002) ITV4

Yeah, it's not one of Arnie's best. It's not bad though. There's some good action, a clear hero revenge story. It's not too long. Turturro turns up which is always a bonus. Decent enough ITV Friday night movie type fare. I'd seen it before, but was worth another watch when lying up yesterday waiting for the football to start. 

• Paid Members
On 3/14/2021 at 2:54 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Finally got round to watching Logan Lucky. Soderbergh is a reliable hand for heist capers, and Daniel Craig and Adam Driver didn’t hurt!

You have to say 'cauliflower' in Adam Driver's accent now, it's unavoidable.

• Paid Members

Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

Thought it was incredibly well done, and quite compelling. I didn't know anything about the trial pre-going into the film, but it prompted me to do some research afterwards. Enjoyed Sacha Baron Cohen, and also really enjoyed the defence lawyer, although I did think he looked a lot like Paul Whitehouse. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

Thought it was incredibly well done, and quite compelling. I didn't know anything about the trial pre-going into the film, but it prompted me to do some research afterwards. Enjoyed Sacha Baron Cohen, and also really enjoyed the defence lawyer, although I did think he looked a lot like Paul Whitehouse. 

I was the opposite on this, I thought it was dreadful but agreed on Cohen, he was really good.