VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was the opposite on this, I thought it was dreadful but agreed on Cohen, he was really good.

Did you look into the man he was playing? Had a really interesting story. 

I have quite a low bar when it comes to films, to be fair. 

• Paid Members

I laughed my arse off at the ending, which I'm assuming wasn't supposed to be the reaction Sorkin was looking for. Hopefully someone will make a good film that focuses on Bobby Seale one day. There was a TV film about this case made in the 80s that's supposed to be really good, the cast is certainly quality.

Magnum Force (pirate)

I probably go to this one as one of my go-to 70s crime films more than Dirty Harry these days, mainly because I've seen Dirty Harry a million times and want to catch up. Still splendidly and horribly violent and unpleasant, and another reminder of how good an actor Hal Holbrook was too.

The Block Island Sound (Netflix)

Well this was rather good! Wasn't expecting too much as most indie horror these days is awful but it was atmospheric and occasionally really creepy. The acting is a mixed bag (UKFF favourite Jim Cummings is especially bad) and it drags a bit in the middle but it's worth a look.

Boss Level (Amazon Crime). Groundhog Day meets Wreck It Ralph by way of Deadpool. Frank Grillo in the lead looking like Steve Blackman which I have no issue with. I really enjoyed this although it does drag in the middle. It's good fun though, some of the violence is creative and I always enjoy Mel Gibson as a villain.

I Care A Lot (Amazon Crime). Rosamund Pike is so fantastically hateable. 

• Paid Members

Following The Block Island Sound, I caught another couple of really decent new horror films today too.

Lucky (Shudder)

The themes in this feel very close to the bone considering the events surrounding Sarah Everard, and it's as much a drama about gaslighting as it is a slasher film. It's very good at both these things though, and Brea Grant is quickly becoming one of the very best horror actors around.

Come True (pirate)

It was sad this had such a dogshit ending but the rest of it, about a dream study that starts to go badly wrong, is really good. The dream scenes are brilliant and Julia Sarah Stone is great in the lead. Just maybe end it 5 minutes early.

19 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Following The Block Island Sound, I caught another couple of really decent new horror films today too.

Lucky (Shudder)

The themes in this feel very close to the bone considering the events surrounding Sarah Everard, and it's as much a drama about gaslighting as it is a slasher film. It's very good at both these things though, and Brea Grant is quickly becoming one of the very best horror actors around.

Come True (pirate)

It was sad this had such a dogshit ending but the rest of it, about a dream study that starts to go badly wrong, is really good. The dream scenes are brilliant and Julia Sarah Stone is great in the lead. Just maybe end it 5 minutes early.

i watched Lucky yesterday, didn't like it at all. Thought it was trying too be way clever for its own good. Maybe i missed the point totally on this one.

Also watched Bliss, loved it. What a crazy movie with beautiful visuals. 

On a bit of a shudder watch with my trial ending in a couple of weeks, whats good on there to watch people ?

A film that I didn't see myself liking as much as I did was The Adventures Of Robin Hood. Shot in Technicolor, this was an incredibly looking film where the colours pop off the screen, which is impressive seeing as the movie is 83 years old! The story isn't exactly deep, but it didn't need to be and the action is consistently engaging and exciting. Errol Flynn might of been a grade-A cunt in real life (take a minute to read about him, guy was pure evil), but he has buckets of charm and charisma and he made for an extremely likeable lead. I went into this thinking that this might be one of those films where I respect it more than I actually enjoy it (see Vertigo and Wizard Of Oz), but I had a big grin plastered across my face during the entire film.

I followed this up with The Jerk. My god, this was hilarious and so ahead of it's time. Steve Martin plays a blithering simpleton who leaves his poor family to make something of himself. Some of the jokes wouldn't fly today, but they're still absolutely hilarious. I could tell that guys like Will Ferrell were massively influenced by this movie and Steve Martin's brand of comedy. Some will find it loud and obnoxious, but this hit the sweet spot for me. 

I brought a Charlie Chaplin boxset and gave both City Lights and The Great Dictator a rewatch. I've seen these movies many times before and they never fail to move me. The ending to City Lights is endlessly heart-warming and the final speech of The Great Dictator might just be one of the best speeches put to film. I don't think either of these films are Chaplin's best picture (that honour goes to Modern Times), but every film buff should see them at least once. Chaplin's ability to tackle serious issues showed the world that he was more than just a comedian. 

Edited by pitseleh

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Boss Level - After going on the recommendation on the previous page, I loved it.  I've yet to find a time skip film like that I havent liked yet tho tbh

I didn't like it at all but I think it's probably because I hate Frank Grillo. Like you though, I love that sort of film usually.

Blue Collar (1978)

Watched this last night purely due to @Devon Malcolm's recommendation in the Yaphet Kotto thread. Basic storyline is that three factory line workers decide to rob their Union HQ offices to ease their money issues, however they find themselves out of their depth and in over their heads. Great film. Excellent performances from all three leads (Richard Pryor, who is a revelation here, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto), the scene with Kotto in the spray room will stay with you for a while.

And from a few night's earlier.

Roadgames (1981)

A truck driver engages in a game of cat and mouse with a man he suspects of a series of hitch-hiking abductions and murders only to become a suspect himself. A smart script, a good twist at the end and suspense is maintained despite it practically being a Stacy Keach one-man show. Recommended.

• Paid Members

Eric Andre stars in a new Netflix film called Bad Trip. It’s a mixture of Borat, Jackass and his show. Was only 86 minutes long and when it’s good, it really made me laugh, but some skits work better then others. The end credits are also worth a watch. 7/10.

• Paid Members
On 3/24/2021 at 10:57 AM, Magnum Milano said:

Blue Collar (1978)

Watched this last night purely due to @Devon Malcolm's recommendation in the Yaphet Kotto thread. Basic storyline is that three factory line workers decide to rob their Union HQ offices to ease their money issues, however they find themselves out of their depth and in over their heads. Great film. Excellent performances from all three leads (Richard Pryor, who is a revelation here, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto), the scene with Kotto in the spray room will stay with you for a while.

I watched this as a result of @Devon Malcolm 's recommendation too. Superb film, with plenty going on, and great performances. One bit really impressed and surprised me:

Spoiler

Pryor's character basically selling out is so unexpected. Although the justification, with a great description of privilege... overall, that was incredibly smart.