VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
On 2/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I Care A Lot 

Performance wise, this doesn’t really put a foot wrong, the only complaint I have is that Dianne Weist is so underused. The scenes where her and The Lovely Rosamund trade threats is sublime and you wish for more. 
Ultimately though, the film can’t decide what it wants to be. It starts as a black comedy and thanks to the performance from TLR it absolutely works. Then it switches to a revenge thriller type and for me this is where it sagged, mainly because there is literally nobody to root for. Much like Gone Girl, TLR doesn’t play an anti hero, she plays a sociopath who, especially here, fucks over a load of innocent people. And she is going up against a gangster who human traffics girls into prostitution. 

Worth a watch for the acting but if it stuck to one genre, it could’ve been brilliant as opposed to good. 

Can't disagree with this but I just plain didn't like it. She's stuck in this run of films that she's way too good for and that are almost wholly reliant on how good she is.

I wasn't bothered so much by the fact that it seemed muddled by what it wanted to be as for a while it was reasonably entertaining but the characters are really shit, aside from hers, and the ending was as obvious as could be. 

20 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Stuck for something to entertain my son, I gave Pudsey The Dog: The Movie a try. Remember Pudsey? The dog from BGT that could stand on his hind legs and turn round?

What an absolute pile of shit. Just the laziest script possible, insulting to even a child audience with it's lack of effort. David Walliams voices the inner-monologue of Pudsey, but puts so little effort in, he was probably browsing the Currys website and trying to figure out what to spend his fee on while recording it. He's so shit, it's like someone doing a pisstake of David Walliams.

Pudsey's input was to sit there and have his mouth animated less convincingly than Reagan walking like an Egyptians in The Bangles pop video, and occasionally he would stand on his hind legs and turn around for the most tenuous of reasons.

It probably turned into some overly moralistic feelgood movie at some point, but as a pig claiming to be a chicken and then shitting on the floor couldn't even hold the attention of a four year old, we didn't make it to the end.

I remember reading that her and that dog got paid £250,000 to do panto a few years ago. Quarter of a million pounds. Fucking hell.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Spoilers. He gets rabies and starts biting everyone around with hilarious consequences until the police chase him into an ally and shoot him multiple times*.

I'm not going to fall for that. When my parents were young, my Mum tricked my Dad into seeing The Sound of Music with her by telling him they get caught by the Nazis and have their fingernails pulled out with pliers.

I was a bit disappointed by I Care a Lot. I thought the first 40 or so minutes were really good and compelling, but it kind of fell off a cliff in the last 20, for me. Everything in the middle was so-so. The story itself was interesting but the execution wasn't great. Some good performances but I didn't like how grandiose it all became, if that makes sense (with regards to the ending). 

I was also disappointed recently by True Stories. I'd been wanting to see this for a while because I'm a fan of both David Byrne/Talking Heads and quirky films set in small-town Texas, but this was more miss than hit, for me. Some decent stuff in there and visually quite spectacular on occasion, but overall not anywhere near as good as I'd hoped. 

Thankfully, I watched Bad Day at Black Rock last night and, fucking hell, what a film this is. 

I didn't know much about it going in, which always helps, and it completely gripped me. It's such a great and surprising film, really, and the cast is impeccable. Also only clocks in at 80 minutes, which is close to the ideal length for a film (which is actually 89 minutes). 

A must watch anyone who likes neo-westerns/noir. 

• Paid Members

Judas and the Black Messiah

All the attention being paid to Daniel Kaluuya's performance as Fred Hampton is well deserved but on the whole I found this a bit disappointing. It pays not nearly enough attention to Hampton's politics and spends too much time on Bill O'Neal being conflicted over his actions. Just not a patch on BlacKkKlansman.

The Kid Detective

I'm undecided on whether this works. I've seen it compared to Brick, but I think it's only because it deals with a high school crime. Its humour is patchy and it goes extremely dark at the end - too dark even for a film that's never trying to be 'real life laughing' funny. It's a bit different and rarely predictable though, and Adam Brody and Sophie Nelisse are great. Might need to give it another go.

• Paid Members

Watched the whole IP Man film series over the last week. Absolutely stunning with amazing action scenes. Donnie Yen is just superb. I can't think of any other 5 film series where every single one is brilliant.

It's now got me wanting more of the genre so any recommendations of something similar would be great.

• Paid Members

I was absolutely ironed clean out with food poisoning for two days. Honestly, my poor belly and bum.
I watched the below, over the course of a sorrowful, pitiful, sleepless 48 hours:

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion:
It’s one of my all time favourite flicks, and to be honest, reading the subtitles may seem like a chore when you’re balls deep in cramps and self pity, but it really does help in taking your mind off things. Wonderful, wonderful movie that was far, far ahead of its’ time and it’s one of those sort that I’ll only watch once every two years.

Run Lola Run:
Because the reading of subtitles was akin to Lamaze breathing with regards my situation, I said I’d watch a film I’ve loved since I saw it by accident in the flicks all those years ago. The whole thing is fantastic. Franka Potente is one of the best looking people on the planet, and I know the movie is not to everyone’s taste, but to me it was the original Crank and I love the absolute absurdity and insanity of the movie. Running 1 is a fucking superlative piece of electronic music, too. So when that finished, I had an awful wank, a cup of tea and got sick.

Charade:
Another wonderful movie with such a magnificent cast. I just adore this movie from top to bottom, and it’s just one of those movies I’ll always turn to when I’m under the weather.
Cliché, I know, but I still find myself saying “Hitchcock was fantastic really, wasn’t he?” knowing full well it’s not even a Hitchcock movie. Also, to me – personally – it’s Henry Mancini’s best work.

In Bruges:
Because a really, really funny Colin Farrell Wish.com video came into the WhatsApp group, I said “Ah sure, g’wan then. I’ll have a bit of Faddler!”. It’s one of those movies that gets better with every watch. It’s amazing how the reason they’re where they are is so, so dark and you really should hate the Ray character, but his little face and eyebrows make you just want to give him a hot water bottle or something. The earnest delivery of “What are you filming midgets for?” cheered me up at a point in the day where I thought I’d never do another thing but gik, ever again.

Knives Out:
It’s a film that I don’t think will ever get old, no matter how many times I know what’s coming. Looking at all the characters’  reactions throughout the movie on repeat viewings makes it even more interesting and funny.
I really hope they do a 2nd, as I think Craig is so, so good in that role.  

I also watched BASEketball, Guns Akimbo, Creep (2004) and the Blair Witch Project. Haven’t the energy of patience to write much more, and I’m sure you wouldn’t have the patience or energy to read any more, but that’s what I did. That’s what I watched.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

On 2/26/2021 at 9:36 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Kid Detective

I'm undecided on whether this works. I've seen it compared to Brick, but I think it's only because it deals with a high school crime. Its humour is patchy and it goes extremely dark at the end - too dark even for a film that's never trying to be 'real life laughing' funny. It's a bit different and rarely predictable though, and Adam Brody and Sophie Nelisse are great. Might need to give it another go.

I thought the end was incredible. This film came out of nowhere for me and I really dug it. Adam Brody should be in more. He's been on a good streak lately.

I CARE A LOT

Maybe I've got old, but I really don't care anymore for films where I don't give two shits about anyone in a film.

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I CARE A LOT

Maybe I've got old, but I really don't care anymore for films where I don't give two shits about anyone in a film

Innit. It’s like wrestling when there is no good guy to root for. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Franka Potente is one of the best looking people on the planet

You and I agree on almost everything, but especially this. She is wonderful.

Get well soon! xx

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 4:27 AM, Murtz said:

Watched the whole IP Man film series over the last week. Absolutely stunning with amazing action scenes. Donnie Yen is just superb. I can't think of any other 5 film series where every single one is brilliant.

It's now got me wanting more of the genre so any recommendations of something similar would be great.

5? Which one of the many spin offs are you considering part of the main series?