VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Thank god for the Sony Movies channels, Talking Pictures and TCM. Between those three and Amazon Prime, the selection is so much fresher than Sky Movies which rarely ever cycles movies in and out of it's On Demand section.Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Thank god for the Sony Movies channels, Talking Pictures and TCM. Between those three and Amazon Prime, the selection is so much fresher than Sky Movies which rarely ever cycles movies in and out of it's On Demand section.Ā 

Im shocked anyone still pays for Sky Movies. It's overpriced at the best of times for the newer stuff but considering there's been no cinema releases for nearly a year, what are people getting from it? From the look of things they have just staggered what came out at the start of last year so they have Birds of Prey coming on 13 months after its cinema release and that's about it for the foreseeable.

• Paid Members

Promising Young Woman

There's a chance this would have been crap without Carey Mulligan and a great supporting cast, and the moments of humour are pointless. The ending is a tough one to take, not just in how powerful it is but in showing how good the rest of it could have been. Still worth seeing overall, though.

Bloody Hell

Another shite millennial horror film over-reliant on homage - extremely boring for the most part and with a twatty lead character, it's got fuck all going for it.

• Paid Members

Jack and the Cuckoo Heart - Bit unnerved by this altogether. Legit had a few nightmares about this and could hear bits and bobs from it that must have been embedded in my subconscious, when I went through a bout of sleep paralysis on Sunday night.

A Walk in the Woods - I kind of half hoped this might be a bit more interesting than the title suggested. It wasn't, and sure, here we are. More fool me.

Run Hide Fight (Sans Punctuation) - Right, I know it's a shameless, tasteless, nihilistic exploitation of a very real problem, and I know I - morally - shouldn't have enjoyed it, but I did. It may have been the few Ardbeg's I had last night, but I was utterly enraptured throughout.

EDIT - Was going to watch Bloody Hell tonight. I won't now...

Ā 

Edited by Scott Malbranque

On 1/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, BomberPat said:

Ultimately, it was a movie about the making of Citizen Kane that reduced Orson Welles to a bit player, and seemed to argue that Orson Welles had little if anything to do with the creation of that movie, which is just silly, and a really bizarre stance to take

It really annoyed me. That whole theory on Mank writing the whole thing has been utterly destroyed a number of times, most notably in Bogdanovich's response to Pauline Kael's essay which is a load of tosh.

Oldman is always watchable and it looks great, but it does piss me off when they try to rewrite Welles.

My Amazon Prime Video subscription ends next week so I'm trying to take advantage and watch a few things before it ends

X : The Man With The X-Ray EyesĀ - a 1963 Roger Corman film about a guy who develops an eye drop formula to help people see beyond the normal range, and falls the same way all scientists go in those type of films, going completely mad and out of control

GargoylesĀ - a practical effects fantasy horror TV movie from 1972, little bit cheesy but decent and the make up effects from Stan Winston, the first film he worked on, on the Gargoyle characters are really good

VHS NastyĀ - a 90 minute documentary about the hysteria over the so called video nasties over here in the 80's and the cult following it built up in the aftermath of the law being passed. I've seen many different documentaries/shows about the subject before but this was pretty decent with plenty of screen shots of various movies from that time

Greetings From Tromaville!Ā - a 2+ hour documentary about the history of cult movie studio Troma and it's owner Lloyd Kaufman. If you're a fan of any of their films like Toxic Avenger, Troma's War, Poultrygeist, Nuke 'Em High etc its recommended as it goes through the entire history from Kaufman's beginnings to the company setting up their own festival after being snubbed by Sundance

The Babysitter (2017)

A young boy spies on his babysitter, who he has a crush on, only to discover sheā€™s part of a satanic cult.Ā  Much better than I expected, some creative kills and an enjoyable modern horror comedy that doesnā€™t take itself too seriously and doesnā€™t overstay its welcome.

Dead Manā€™s Shoes (2004)

I've seen this before but it's on All4 for a week so gave it another watch last night. Ā An ex-Squaddie returns home to exact revenge on the gang who bullied his mentally handicapped brother.Ā  PaddyĀ Considine is outstanding as the menacing Richard and Toby Kebbell is so convincing that I thought he was mentally handicapped at first.Ā  Excellent.

Edited by Magnum Milano

32 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Ā 

This post from the Twitter thread just reminded me that I convinced my mum to watch GoodfellasĀ for the first time ever a couple of days ago based solely on me referencing this scene and it piquing her interest. She set aside her afternoon and absolutely loved it. I don't think I've ever been as proud.

I also managed to get her to watchĀ Inglorious BasterdsĀ after she watched The Sound Of Music at our house on Christmas day and was saying how tense the escape from the convent is.Ā I stuck the first scene from Inglorious on after and she watched it with her gob wide open. It's one of my favourite scenes ever and I can watch that bit and then not bother with the rest of the film. She went home and watched the rest of it and, again, loved it. She didn't even mind the mental ending.

I doubt I'll convinceĀ her to sign up for an account on a wrestling forum so I'm gushing about those two on her behalf.Ā Ā I can't put in to words how amazing it is for her to watch films like that, for them to keep her attention and her enjoy them. This is a woman whose comfort zone is The Importance Of Being Ernest. Blood and violenceĀ is not her bag.

It's not all winners with her though. I recommendedĀ The Wicker ManĀ andĀ Pulp FictionĀ and she shat on them both. The former was too racy apparently and she just didn't click with the latter.

19 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I also managed to get her to watchĀ Inglorious BasterdsĀ after she watched The Sound Of Music at our house on Christmas day and was saying how tense the escape from the convent is.Ā I stuck the first scene from Inglorious on after and she watched it with her gob wide open. It's one of my favourite scenes ever and I can watch that bit and then not bother with the rest of the film. She went home and watched the rest of it and, again, loved it. She didn't even mind the mental ending.

The bar scene with Fasbender as well often gets overlooked due to insane brilliance of the opening.

• Awards Moderator
On 1/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Cartoon Saloon are the best in the business right now. All their films are stunning.

WatchedĀ WolfwalkersĀ this afternoon and it was gorgeous and moving and brilliant, as well as further confirming my opinion of Oliver Cromwell as a massive dick.Ā 

2 for 2 for me with Cartoon Saloon and superb films now. Will be on the lookout forĀ Song of the SeaĀ andĀ The BreadwinnerĀ now.

• Paid Members

The Nest

It took Sean Durkin nine years to follow up the excellent Martha Marcy May Marlene and it was well worth waiting for. A really strong grasp of the issues facing the aspirational working class and 80s Britain. Carrie Coon is wonderful. Fair play to Jude Law for continuing to refuseĀ to cover his receding hairline.

News of the World

Nothing to do with the thankfully defunct rag. The usual safe and cinematic comfort blanket stuff from Tom Hanks, but a decent addition to the small but quality list of recent westerns. That kid, Helena Zengel, who broke through in the German film System Crasher last year, is going to be a huuuuuuge star.

Body of Water

Tough-to-watch drama about a woman suffering from anorexia released from hospital and trying to reconnect with her family. No idea how well this film reflects anorexia but Sian Brooke is scarily committed and great in the lead role. Support cast are patchy, but it's worth seeing. I *think* it will be making an appearance on BBC iPlayer soon.