VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, discovered where a sample for a hip hop song came from (Pharoahe Monch-Mayor if anyone cares) and that always pops me big time.

Ah man, I pop like a motherfucker when that happens too! I remember the first time I watched 1984 and the “I hate purity” bit from Faster by the Manics happened. Sadly you also saw Edna from Emmerdales hairy fanny so that took the edge off. 

Junior Bonner (Peckinpah, 1972). 

Had high hopes for this one because I love McQueen, Peckinpah and the rodeo, but it just didn't quite click for me. 

Not terrible, but not great either. Not sure what it was that it was lacking exactly, but something was missing. 

Interesting to see a 'gentler' side of Peckinpah, however. Hard to believe he made this not too long after The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Junior Bonner (Peckinpah, 1972). 

Had high hopes for this one because I love McQueen, Peckinpah and the rodeo, but it just didn't quite click for me. 

Not terrible, but not great either. Not sure what it was that it was lacking exactly, but something was missing. 

Interesting to see a 'gentler' side of Peckinpah, however. Hard to believe he made this not too long after The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs. 

I've never got on with Peckinpah but I'd rate this as my favourite of his aside from Cross of Iron.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, neil said:

Ghostbusters II is really bad. I always thought it was amazing too. Crushed.

The first half hour is pretty good I think, it's only when they actually become Ghostbusters again that it becomes pretty shit. Weirdly I much preferred the second one when I was a kid.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've never got on with Peckinpah but I'd rate this as my favourite of his aside from Cross of Iron.

Yeah, his stuff can be suspect at the best of times. Never seen Cross of Iron, despite getting it from a charity shop for about 20p many, many years ago. I'll get round to it one day...

I think my enjoyment of Junior Bonner might have been hampered by being in a bad mood last night, along with only being able to find it in a low-res YouTube version. Not ideal. 

Jojo Rabbit. The kids were great, Scarlett Johansson was great and the first 2/3rd’s were quirky but enjoyable with a bit of heart but when that gear shifts in the last act it did not feel earned. Maybe it just caught me off guard but it soured me a bit on the rest of the film. Good not great.

• Paid Members

Dazed and Confused (pirate)

Never really understood the fuss about Richard Linklater and there had been tons of films like this even before it had been made. Probably earned its reputation as much for its cast than everything else. 

Matinee (Prime - Arrow channel)

Man, what a great director Joe Dante is. He was the perfect person to make this film and it's as much fun as it is spot on about B-movies and politics. Brilliant.

Lovely But Deadly (YouTube)

Potty 80s actioner about a cheerleader that picks off local drug dealers after they killed her brother. The fight scenes are hilarious but it's unexpectedly weird and funny when least expected. Good stuff.

• Paid Members
On 12/29/2020 at 11:03 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Jojo Rabbit. The kids were great, Scarlett Johansson was great and the first 2/3rd’s were quirky but enjoyable with a bit of heart but when that gear shifts in the last act it did not feel earned. Maybe it just caught me off guard but it soured me a bit on the rest of the film. Good not great.

The biggest problem is the Hitler as imaginary friend thing is completely pointless and actually drags the film down.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The biggest problem is the Hitler as imaginary friend thing is completely pointless and actually drags the film down.

And Sam Rockwell. In all his films, actually.

Shadow In The Cloud

Very fucking stupid, but very fun too.  Chloe Grace Moretz is great as always, and nails her accent. The synth score is brilliant too.

Saving Private Ryan, The Terminal, Bridge Of Spies

Had a New Years Day Tom Hanks watch, and had a lovely time.

I think his turn in The Terminal is incredibly underrated and gets cast aside because it's funny when he says "Where do I buy the Nike shoes?"

Hanks is the best.

• Paid Members

Shadow in the Cloud

Really enjoyable and surprisingly weird thing that's being marketed as a sort of wartime action horror, but it's actually a great suspense thriller for the most part. Moretz knocks it out of the park, get her more stuff like this to do.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Shadow in the Cloud

Really enjoyable and surprisingly weird thing that's being marketed as a sort of wartime action horror, but it's actually a great suspense thriller for the most part. Moretz knocks it out of the park, get her more stuff like this to do.

Unfortunately her next role is in the live action Tom and Jerry (not as either lead)

Pleasantville. I remember watching this when it first came out on a video rental as a teenager and just being gobsmacked. I watched it a few times since then but probably haven't seen it in ten years. I still love it. The beginning is a bit cheesy and the ending feels pretty sudden but everything inside Pleasantville itself is marvellous. William H Macey, Joan Allen and Jeff Daniels are tremendous. Even Paul Walker is good in this, particularly at portraying how losing your virginity would somehow make you crap at basketball.