VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Fatman (pirate)

Think it was @Bellenda Carlisle who praised this a while back 

I ain't even seen it Gladders, wasn't me like Shaggy,  I am one of the Goggins lovers here so I might check it out although I'm not feeling at all festive. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I ain't even seen it Gladders, wasn't me like Shaggy,  I am one of the Goggins lovers here so I might check it out although I'm not feeling at all festive. 

My apologies! I think you might like it though, and it's not overly Christmassy.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ahh, sorry about that! I think it's because Stevie B had posted the trailer a while back that I got confused.

That was also not me. I'm going to watch it since you're so damn insistent on associating me with it. I'll wait til tomorrow though, nov 30th is the last night I can get away with pretending Christmas isn't here

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

That was also not me. I'm going to watch it since you're so damn insistent on associating me with it. I'll wait til tomorrow though, nov 30th is the last night I can get away with pretending Christmas isn't here

Fuckin ell, I've had a mare here!

• Paid Members

Vivarium (pirate)

Just read the IMDb synopsis, nothing else of note happens. Imogen Poots deserves better, as usual.

The Call (2020) (Netflix)

This is the new Korean Netflix Original, although the Brad Anderson one with Halle Berry is also on there and is also great. This is also very good, albeit much different. A weird dual timeline crime thriller that doesn't stick the ending but is a lot of fun and very well acted.

Because what you've been waiting for is a breakdown of the Revenge of the Nerds films.  Watched these over the past week, the latter two were made for TV (and you realize why once you've seen them).

Revenge of the Nerds (1984)

The title pretty much gives away the story here as a bunch of College Freshmen fight back against the jock Alpha-Betas who make their lives a misery.  Definitely of it’s time and one that wouldn’t get made today (a rape treated as comedy), funny and highly enjoyable though.  Good soundtrack too.

Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise (1987)

A similar plot to the first movie, just set in Fort Lauderdale as opposed to on campus, as the Tri-Lambas once again do battle with the Alpha-Betas.  In contrast to the first movie though, I never laughed once during this.  The theme song is cool but overall this is dire.

Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation (1992)

It was cool to see some from the original film reunited (even if Anthony Edwards was clearly too busy), but this was another dismal sequel with the same regurgitated story.  There’s some shocking acting on display from the ‘Next Generation’ class most notably fat Trevor and Bobo.

Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love (1994)

A bunch of the nerds, including a now ridiculous full on nerd Stan Gable (Ted McGinley), get together to celebrate Booger’s wedding.  Of course his in-laws to be don’t happen to be fans of nerds.  The worst film of the four although the last three are all desperate.

Watch the first film if you're interested, give the remaining three a wide berth.  For posterity's sake 1, 3, 2 and 4.

• Paid Members

Jungle (Netflix)

Harry Potter and the Adventure in the Bolivian Rainforest. Pretty good and standard for this sort of thing, with one amazingly and brilliantly disgusting moment.

Only Lovers Left Alive (Mubi)

Two hours where very little happens is normally my idea of hell - but it's Jim Jarmusch. This is close to being his best just behind Paterson. Some great one-liners but it's at its best when Mia Wasikowska turns up and they become a dysfunctional vampire family. Brilliant.

• Paid Members
On 12/1/2020 at 3:32 PM, Magnum Milano said:

Because what you've been waiting for is a breakdown of the Revenge of the Nerds films.  Watched these over the past week, the latter two were made for TV (and you realize why once you've seen them).

Revenge of the Nerds (1984) Marathon

I've always loved the second one better. It's like Police Academy 5 "Assignment: Miami Beach". It's like everything is in beautiful sunshine which makes some of their shit even funnier. 3 or 4 are really for the hardcore fans. "Nerds in Love" was a bit of a stinker from what I recall.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:33 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Happiest Season (Prime rental)

Lovely lesbian romcom with Kristen Stewart finally producing a performance that was actually interesting, although she's outshone by Aubrey Plaza and Mackenzie Davis. No shame there though. No real surprises, but a nice take on a genre I often like.

Just watched this and thought it was wonderful. A stellar cast with all the leads putting not a foot wrong. I always like seeing Victor Garber and Dan Levy was Dan Levy. A cracking film that’s in the top ten of Chrismas films.