VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

This was great, I love a tight, cheap B movie with a fun premise; Child's Play but Chucky is a drone is a pretty easy comparison to draw.

It's quite tongue in cheek but plays it just straight faced enough that you can kind of play along that it's a proper horror film for the most part but the climax is ridiculous.

It took me a while to find and download, no idea if it's streaming anywhere.

It's streaming Stateside but not here yet. But yes, it's really daft fun, I enjoyed it.

43 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Just watched Possessor or Possessor Uncut

I really enjoyed it after a string of stinkers I've watched, looked up the IMDB after watching to see it was made by Brandon Cronenberg I'm guessing thats Davids son aye? dont keep up to date with things like that so didnt even know he had a son 

Yep, it's his son. Superb film, too.

• Paid Members

Over The Moon (2020, Netflix)

The other half wanted to watch something twee that we didn't have to think about too much, and settled on this Netflix cartoon thing. I had misgivings based on the art style, and assumed it would be some post-Shrek Dreamworks level of shit, but actually the animation is lovely, and carries what a lot of the time is an incredibly formulaic movie into something better. 

It's based around the Chinese folktale of Chang'e the Moon Goddess, and a young girl who still believes in her. When her mum dies, and her dad is at risk of remarrying, she freaks out and decides she's going to build a rocket to the moon to meet Chang'e and prove to her dad the importance of holding out for your one true love forever no matter what.

More than anything I've watched, this feels like a movie that was written by a Netflix algorithm. There are songs in it that are utterly superfluous, and feel like they're there because a kids' animated movie "should" have songs. All but one of them are full-blown "Randy Newman Singing About What He Sees"; just clumsy exposition set to music, detracting from scenes that would be handled better with dialogue, or even complete silence. Chang'e's character ends up being a stylised pop star type, and her introductory song is actually pretty good - it would carry a lot more weight if she were the only character bursting into song all the time. 

You get Ken Jeong as an irritating animal sidekick that's definitely not Donkey in Shrek or the dragon in Mulan, the equally annoying little brother character that, again, feels like he's been created by committee after consuming every animated film of the past thirty years. 

Again, animation is lovely and in places really inventive - some of the supporting characters on the Moon remind me of the characters in Wattam on PS4 - and the story is clichéd and predictable, but there's enough there to make it worthwhile. I just could never shake the feeling of watching something so utterly artificial, even if it never felt as cynical as those Dreamworks "make all the characters dance to a popular song for the trailer" movies that were churned out in the mid-00s. 

Love And Monsters (Amazon Crime). I had low expectations going in but thoroughly enjoyed it to the point that I'd be happy to watch it again. Lots of Zombieland influence crossed with post-apocalpyse films like The Maze Runner. The main kid is a bit of a loser but likeable. Michael Rooker and Ariana Greenblatt are the stars of the show for me though.

Relic (Amazon Crime). Really enjoyable psychological horror that shat the bed with an ending that left me confused and flat.

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I found the ending quite heartbreaking, what about it confused you?

Oh yeah, I felt that aswell. Maybe confused is the wrong word as I genuinely enjoyed the film and that final scene was really powerful and upsetting, I think I just didn't fully understand it. It probably warrants a rewatch. I do think it's a powerful ending, and the symbolism of old age and that decay gets everybody eventually, it was just what led up to the three of them laying side by side that threw me and I sat with my gob open for the last few minutes. 

EDIT- Can't get spoiler tags to work for some reason so reworded.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

Compared to the endings of most horror films from the last decade or so, I thought Relic's was actually quite coherent and satisfactory. Surprised at how good it was overall, actually.

The Doorman (pirate)

Ruby Rose's first (?) lead as an action star is bloody awful. Not her fault, just a really boring Die Hard knock-off from a shit director with a cast that can't be arsed. She deserves better after John Wick 2 and Return of Xander Cage.

Pixie (cinema)

Caught this yesterday before all the cinemas shut for a 'month'. The usher sadly thanked us for coming to see something on their "last day". Pretty good, this, as you usually get from Irish crime comedies. Olivia Cooke is brilliant although most of the effort here seems to have gone into writing her a strong character. Alec Baldwin pops in for some reason, and I'd like @Scott Malbranque to give his thoughts on Baldwin's Irish accent if he gets round to catching this at some point. I'd rate it as 'uproariously appalling'. Film was alright though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Compared to the endings of most horror films from the last decade or so, I thought Relic's was actually quite coherent and satisfactory. Surprised at how good it was overall, actually.

The Doorman (pirate)

Ruby Rose's first (?) lead as an action star is bloody awful. Not her fault, just a really boring Die Hard knock-off from a shit director with a cast that can't be arsed. She deserves better after John Wick 2 and Return of Xander Cage.

Pixie (cinema)

Caught this yesterday before all the cinemas shut for a 'month'. The usher sadly thanked us for coming to see something on their "last day". Pretty good, this, as you usually get from Irish crime comedies. Olivia Cooke is brilliant although most of the effort here seems to have gone into writing her a strong character. Alec Baldwin pops in for some reason, and I'd like @Scott Malbranque to give his thoughts on Baldwin's Irish accent if he gets round to catching this at some point. I'd rate it as 'uproariously appalling'. Film was alright though.

I'll give Pixie a crack, D-Mal.
I'll tell you something though, that Connie Nielsen one's attempt at an Irish accent in Sea Fever will take some Jaysus beating.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'll give Pixie a crack, D-Mal.
I'll tell you something though, that Connie Nielsen one's attempt at an Irish accent in Sea Fever will take some Jaysus beating.

Oh GOD it was amazing. Good film, that, but fucking hell. She's getting a reputation for bad accents. She did an action film called Stratton a couple of years ago (it was alright, actually) and to this day I've no idea what she was attempting in it.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

Terrible film with some atrocious acting. Completely different to the previous four and more like a comedy than a horror at times.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

Despite the laughable opening with Jason being brought back to life it turns into one of the better films with a solid story and some trademark gruesome killings. (Current rankings of the films 3, 6, 4, 1, 2, 5)

Tales from the Lodge (2019)

A horror comedy that isn’t scary and is only mildly amusing. There’s also an absurd twist/revelation that comes out.  I expected much better from something involving Mackenzie Crook.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

Despite the laughable opening with Jason being brought back to life it turns into one of the better films with a solid story and some trademark gruesome killings. (Current rankings of the films 3, 6, 4, 1, 2, 5)

Three years ago I went through them all after having never seen any of them before. This one stood out because of the high camp fun they were having with it and made it so much more enjoyable. The others before this have looooong starts where not a lot happens.

But then I suppose Part IV had this

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I watched White Heat a few days ago and thought it was superb. Watched Angels With Dirty Faces there which was also superb. I now want to watch all James Cagneys best films or similar films. Any suggestions. @Devon Malcolm

The Public Enemy, G Men and The Roaring Twenties are all musts if you want more crime stuff. Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye is really good too.