VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Dark Night of the Scarecrow (YouTube)

I'd heard a lot about this from people on Letterboxd, how it was this great underrated slasher film of the 80s. And they were right, it's just superb. Even more remarkable in that it was made for TV. One of Charles Durning's greatest performances too, which is saying a lot. An absolute gem.

Daniel Isn't Real (pirate)

Really quite enjoyed this. The final third was a bit disappointing but for a Shudder original it was way better than I was expecting. Arnie Jr. was really convincing as an imaginary psychopath too.

The Last Wave (pirate)

Peter Weir never gets talked about as one of the best directors of his generation but he absolutely is. Similar in atmosphere to Picnic at Hanging Rock, it's one of those films where you have no hope of understanding what's happening but you'll probably really like it anyway.

• Paid Members

Finally watched Coco with the kids. Fuck me, it's outstanding. Why didn't anyone tell us? Funny, poignant, imaginative. Real Pixar brilliance. 

We watched Onward too (We finally got Disney+ working). That was also really good. Not as good as Coco but another creative story that was genuinely moving by the end.

Today we're finally going to see Nightmare before Christmas. 

Firepower (Youtube)

It's on Amazon as well. It's not the movie you expect and is shot like a completely different beast. Gloriously awful but I love it.

Vacation (Netflix)

This was a weird addition to the vacation series and reminded me of Plains Trains and Automobiles rather than the vacation series. very funny in parts, excruciatingly awful in others. Not exactly a winner.

Split Second (Prime)

I'd not seen this in ages. The amount of usage of the word fuck was immense. Stellarcast, well shot. very well done considering budget limitations.

Dark Angel/I Come in Peace (Youtube)

This has aged horribly and the narrative makes not much sense especially when a police station gets blown up killing hundreds, but investigations actually surround what were a few low key murders initially. very jarring. Craig R Baxley has a pretty decent run as a director though for B movie stuff. Action Jackson, This, Stone Cold Triangle. 2nd Unit Director on Predator, Aces n Eights and so on.

• Paid Members

His House (Netflix)

Netflix have done a fair bit better this year with horror than they did last year, and this probably goes down as one of their best originals of the year full stop. Few too many jump scares but pretty intelligent, really well acted and 90 minutes long. Nice. Matt Smith's a really good actor too, I've decided, a shame about the whole Doctor Who thing.

Christine (pirate)

Like They Live, I'd never really shown this enough respect. John Carpenter operating at about 75% of his abilities was still capable of making great films. Keith Gordon is so bloody good in this too.

Prince of Darkness (pirate)

Yearly viewing of this and I really do think it's Carpenter's masterpiece. Just unfailingly shits me up every time I watch it, no matter what time of day. Absolutely perfect.

Blockers

When this first came out I thought it would be shit, but it was on TV last night and there was nothing else on so I gave it a watch and was pleasantly surprised. A lot better than I expected and really funny in places.

Leslie Mann is great as ever, Ike Barinholtz is brilliant and should be this generations Will Farrell/Seth Rogan, John Cena did OK even with his really distracting bald patch and Tim Robbins kid looked too much like Tim Robbins for my liking. Regardless, the limo driver stole the show for me. He was fucking hilarious.

• Paid Members
On 11/1/2020 at 4:45 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

"Prince of Darkness" has got to be John Carpenters' second best soundtrack. Chills you.

I tend to think Carpenter's best soundtrack is whichever one I listened to most recently. I like Prince of Darkness - it's clearly a big X-Files, which is no bad thing. The Fog is probably my favourite of his though, overall.

• Paid Members

Watched a handful of Sean Connery films over the last few days.

Outland

Just gets better every time I watch it, and I've watched it loads now. Peter Hyams was a master craftsman of high quality entertainment that had enough of an artistic edge to give it a classier sheen.

The Rock 

Madness that anyone doesn't think this is Michael Bay's best. Connery looks pissed off with the whole thing but it sorts of adds a lot to it. Ed Harris is one of the best and most thoughtful action movie villains ever. I'd forgotten how much I fancied Vanessa Marcil.

The Hill

It's forgotten just how many times Connery collaborated with Sidney Lumet, and how different all those films were. I had seen this before but I didn't remember it being *this* good but it's up there with 12 Angry Men and Network for me, Clive. The lad was a director and a half. Awesome film.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Rock 

Madness that anyone doesn't think this is Michael Bay's best. Connery looks pissed off with the whole thing but it sorts of adds a lot to it. Ed Harris is one of the best and most thoughtful action movie villains ever. I'd forgotten how much I fancied Vanessa Marcil.

Haven’t seen The Rock in years after I lost my DVD, but was a firm favourite and I believe his best.

Read this today, and I’ll know you’ll get a kick from it https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/sean-connery-cursed-out-disney-the-rock-michael-bay/

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
On 10/10/2020 at 12:09 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Drone (nefarious)

From the makers of Zombeavers! That film was really funny and so is this. Also the least likely place you'd expect to see an homage to The Exorcist III.

This was great, I love a tight, cheap B movie with a fun premise; Child's Play but Chucky is a drone is a pretty easy comparison to draw.

It's quite tongue in cheek but plays it just straight faced enough that you can kind of play along that it's a proper horror film for the most part but the climax is ridiculous.

It took me a while to find and download, no idea if it's streaming anywhere.

• Paid Members

Finally caught Tenet before cinemas shut down for another month. Some spoilerish stuff here so don't read on if you're arsed about it;

Wish I hadn't have bothered. This is Christopher Nolan at his worst. Soulless 'look at how clever I am blah blah blah' technical bollocks which doesn't have a shred of heart or a single decent character in its massively bloated runtime. As with most Nolan films, easily 50% of the dialogue is incomprehensible due to CRASH BANG WALLOP even in scenes where no action is taking place. Kenneth Branagh decides to whisper evil monologues explaining the plot while explosions ring out around him, again meaning you'll probably catch half a sentence if you're lucky. 

At one point one of the characters explains that if they fuck up the mission they're on, everyone on the planet will die, to which Eliabeth Debicki replies "even my son!?' or something along those lines which did get a laugh out of me, but I don't think that was the intention. Actually, the dialogue being incomprehensible was probably done on purpose as the dialogue that I could make out was fucking rubbish. 

I've read that you need to watch it twice to fully understand everything going on. Fuck that for a laugh. 

I was underwhelmed when I first saw it and I’ve cooled even more on it since. In fact the more I think about it the shitter it gets. Fucking nonsense it is. It’s not like it’s purposely ambiguous so it warrants multiple views like with something David Lynch would make, it’s just a big science jizz. One of the characters even says don’t bother trying to understand it. It try’s to establish too many conflicting rules and it’s shit. 

Just watched Possessor or Possessor Uncut

I really enjoyed it after a string of stinkers I've watched, looked up the IMDB after watching to see it was made by Brandon Cronenberg I'm guessing thats Davids son aye? dont keep up to date with things like that so didnt even know he had a son