VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Whenever I hear his name I'm always reminded of the "True or False' round on Shooting Stars.

"True of False, Roy Kinnear?"

Roy Kinnear always popped up in those 70s British "sex comedies". I'll forever remember him in "Eskimo Nell" and for some strange reason, the video to the 80s version of "All I Need Is A Miracle" from Mike & the Mechanics.

• Paid Members

Carmilla (cinema)

Boring lesbian vampire slow arse millennial effort. Jessica Raine tho.

Madhouse (1981) (pirate)

Outstanding and impressively depressing slasher with a no name cast and a brilliant ending. Nobody's seen it and that needs to change.

The Other Lamb (Mubi)

Nothing happens. Raffey Cassidy is an amazing talent. Otherwise a complete waste of time.

Game Night

You’d be hard pressed to find a better comedy than this in the last few years. You know what you’re getting for your money with Bateman and McAdams but Billy Magnusson is the most loveable dolt ever and Jesse Plemons always delivers. The rest of the cast are all very good and even at the second time of watching the scene around Gary’s house still has me howling.

The Dead Zone

Not bad for a King adaptation. Got my hopes up a little too much when I realised Cronenberg directed it but it never really reaches a level above just decent. Christopher Walken has great fluffy hair though.

22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Other Lamb (Mubi)

Nothing happens. Raffey Cassidy is an amazing talent. Otherwise a complete waste of time

Cheers. Was going to watch that but will play Elite Dangerous for a few hours instead. 

April Fool's Day (1986)

Watched this last night via nefarious means.  An 80s horror flick that sees a group of college students go to stay with their friend who lives in a mansion on a remote island.  Quite a few times it made me jump and there is a great twist right at the end, even if it does mean you have to suspend disbelief a fair bit.  The acting is nothing special, although Deborah Foreman is pretty good.  To be honest, if it wasn't for the ending I would have probably been disappointed to have spent ninety minutes watching this. but the last ten/fifteen made it worth sticking with.  Thomas F. Wilson also stars.

• Paid Members

Saint Maud (cinema)

Bloody fantastic. Just a great job, all round. Unpredictable and anxiety-inducing, but also really darkly funny at times. Morfydd Clark is *amazing* and Jennifer Ehle isn't far off. Also the most well earned jump scare I've seen for ages.

Black Sheep (Prime Shudder channel)

Don't know what it is about New Zealand and horror comedy but they have always gone together really well. Not one of their best but still a good laugh.

The Ruins (pirate)

Pretty enjoyable and daft until the gore becomes tiresome. Features one of the stupidest character decisions in film history and hilariously shit special effects.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Saint Maud (cinema)

Bloody fantastic. Just a great job, all round. Unpredictable and anxiety-inducing, but also really darkly funny at times. Morfydd Clark is *amazing* and Jennifer Ehle isn't far off. Also the most well earned jump scare I've seen for ages.

I loved it, although I think it would have got nowhere near this kind of wide release without 2020 being 2020. It felt like one of the top contenders you'd see at FrightFest, not something you'd have on at your local Vue.

• Paid Members

Antebellum (pirate)

Derivative, stupid, miserable and shit. Does almost nothing right from the word go. Two directors who have watched Get Out, The Village and Black Mirror and thought, "Yeah, we'll do that."

The Sorcerers (pirate)

Ever wanted to see a film where Boris Karloff and his lunatic wife (Catherine Lacey) take over the mind of Ian Ogilvy and turn him into a homicidal nutter? Of course you did, and it's as good as you might expect.

• Paid Members

What did we think of Borat 2 then? 

It was basically exactly as you'd imagine, more of the same but a decade and a half after the idea was first fresh. I laughed or watched it cringing behind my fingers enough that it was worthwhile but it didn't all work for me.

Tutar was great, she was the highlight for me and could have a great future in comedy with a debut performance like that.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

I felt exactly the same. I found it hard to believe that most if not all of the regular folk weren’t in on the joke to some degree. It’s basically a 90 minute build up to expose an old creep. Got some good laughs and Tutar was indeed the best thing about it.

No Escape /Escape From Absolom (, YouTube) 

This Ray Liotta lead romp has aged better than many of it's contemporaries and the practical effects on the Island are pretty good. 

Merek, is a glorious villain hamming it up to the max and yes he accepts plastic, apparently. 

Sags in the middle, but it's got Wycliffe, Winston Zedmore, Don Henderson, Lance Hendriksen and countless other recogniable faces in it FFS. 

Definitely worth a rewatch