VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

On the Rocks (cinema du art poncé)

If we're honest, Sofia Coppola has never been that great a director aside from Lost in Translation. But I'd like her more if she just stuck to light comedies like this rather than utter wank like The Bling Ring. Just a nice 90 minutes with Jones and Murray great as expected.

Final Destinations 1 to 5 (Prime / nefarious)

Amazing series, really, in that it took them to part 5 to try something even slightly different and to start trying to make it funny. That's the only good one, the rest are all the mediocre same. The first 15 minutes are great and the rest is boring. Over and over again. Special mention to Mary Elizabeth Winstead for being an absolute beautiful treasure and completely unnecessarily being superb in part 3. I watched all these in one day, also, but moving on.

Die Hard with a Vengeance (Prime rental)

Empire gave this 5 stars when it was released and everyone went, "Yeah right, you cunts" until they saw it and realised they were right. Ahh, the good old days when Empire was good.

Hell Fest (Netflix)

Saw this at the cinema last year when it inexplicably got a wide release. Inexplicable because it's really just a run-of-the-mill slasher, but as these things go it's pretty enjoyable and the set design is unexpectedly stunning. Good ending, too. Wouldn't mind a sequel to this.

26 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Final Destinations 1 to 5 (Prime / nefarious)

Amazing series, really, in that it took them to part 5 to try something even slightly different and to start trying to make it funny. That's the only good one, the rest are all the mediocre same. The first 15 minutes are great and the rest is boring. Over and over again. Special mention to Mary Elizabeth Winstead for being an absolute beautiful treasure and completely unnecessarily being superb in part 3. I watched all these in one day, also, but moving on.

I rewatched these again recently. 1 is still great fun and 2 builds on that by making the deaths more creative. 3 and 4 are fairly missable but 5 felt like things were back on track. Let out a "HOLY SHIT" as the ending was becoming more obvious.

26 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Die Hard with a Vengeance (Prime rental)

Empire gave this 5 stars when it was released and everyone went, "Yeah right, you cunts" until they saw it and realised they were right. Ahh, the good old days when Empire was good.

It's a close call for me whether I prefer the first Die Hard or Die Hard With A Vengeance. Vengeance is just a romp from start to finish. Sat and watched it with my two boys who normally can't be arsed to sit through a film unless we're at the cinema but they were captivated throughout. We watched Die Hard 4.0 the day after which is also a cracker. It's the third best in the series but only by the narrowest of margins.

Edited by cobra_gordo

Honey Boy. Noah Jupe is a cracking little actor and he made me feel sorry for Shia LaBeouf, who is a talent himself, amongst other things. Fair play it’s not often that childhood stars gone wrong get to redeem themselves somewhat by writing a film about what sent them astray in the first place.

Might give Peanut Butter Falcon a go next.

• Paid Members

Watched that new one Onwards that's just turned up on Disney+. It's a decent watch. Some good jokes, nice world building. Decent little road trip movie. I enjoyed it. 

7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Watched that new one Onwards that's just turned up on Disney+. It's a decent watch. Some good jokes, nice world building. Decent little road trip movie. I enjoyed it. 

Just finished it myself, yep it was an enjoyable watch with some sadness in there. I thought the older brother was annoying from the trailer, but he is really sweet. 

• Paid Members

Onward doesn’t hold up to repeat viewings in my opinion. Feel they wasted that world and those characters with a lame story.

Rewatched The Sword in the Stone (Disney+) again for the first time in years. John Oliver I think voices Merlin. Last animated film released in Walt’s lifetime, first Disney film to have songs by The Sherman Brothers, great characters. Well under appreciated film in my eyes and I’ll die on that hill.

• Paid Members

Alone (2020) (nefarious)

There seem to be about a million films out there called this. This is the thriller about a woman who gets kidnapped by a stalker after being run off the road by him. It's a superb thriller. A bit of Breakdown, a bit of Duel and a bit of wilderness horror-adventure stuff, it's superbly done. Just a really good quality, unreconstructed piece of work, the likes of which we don't get enough of. The two leads are great.

• Paid Members

Carrie (1979) (Vue screening)

It's been years since I've watched this properly and God, but Sissy Spacek's performance in this is incredible. She's just so, so good in the lead role. Her discomfort and terror at everything around her in the early stages, and her disbelief and hesitant joy when things start working out - it works so well. I found some of the more overt directorial touches a bit distracting on my first time watching it, but now I love them. It's not quite a perfect film, as the balance of power shift between Carrie and her mother is a bit rushed at times, but when it hits, it hits. It's also the first time I've realised (since listening to the Evolution of Horror podcast) that they're not all laughing at her in the prom scene - it's shot from her POV and it's distorted. She's traumatised and believes they're all laughing at her. I've been liking De Palma more and more over the last few years, having generally heard him being talked about disparagingly by critics at times in the past.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Alone (2020) (nefarious)

There seem to be about a million films out there called this. This is the thriller about a woman who gets kidnapped by a stalker after being run off the road by him. It's a superb thriller. A bit of Breakdown, a bit of Duel and a bit of wilderness horror-adventure stuff, it's superbly done. Just a really good quality, unreconstructed piece of work, the likes of which we don't get enough of. The two leads are great.

Just looked this up & seem it has a 97 minute running time. Perfect! That's tonight sorted.

Peanut Butter Falcon. Quite a good little take on the Huck Finn thing with a nice warm-hearted relationship at the middle of it. Cracking supporting cast with small roles for Bruce Dern and Thomas Hayden Church.

Unsurprisingly the worse part of the film involves wrestling with

Spoiler

Jake The Snake Roberts going in to business for himself

. It’s not all that terrible but I was kind of left wishing that they’d gone full surreal with it or played it more tongue in cheek.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Report - Adam Driver is ace as he uncovers what the CIA did to suspects after 9/11. In the end credits I noticed Soderbergh was producing and it came as no surprise. 

Goes without saying.

I was actually a bit disappointed in this and I love these types of political conspiracy thrillers, but it wasn't bad. I preferred Official Secrets, which conversely was better than I expected.

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Goes without saying.

I was actually a bit disappointed in this and I love these types of political conspiracy thrillers, but it wasn't bad. I preferred Official Secrets, which conversely was better than I expected.

I started that but wasn’t in the right mood for it. Will give it a proper watch. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Goes without saying.

I was also pleasantly surprised by that. A rare example of Keira Knightley managing to be likeable, and cut back on the gurning thing she does that distracts me in every film she does. 

• Paid Members
On 9/26/2020 at 9:59 PM, patiirc said:

Painted Faces (Netflix) 

Sammo Hung starring film about the Peking Opera School he and 'bignose' attended. 

Wonderful, how to be a bastard with a heart. Really Enjoyed it. 

I've been meaning to watch this for year, so will have to give it a go now that it's accessible.

Samo says he underplayed how much of a bastard Yu Jim Yuen was, as he was still alive at the time of filming and didn't want to anger him.