VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't believe how bad Renny Harlin turned out after turning out action crackers like this for a few years in the 90s. 

Driven and his cheap Hercules film are deep cut, very guilty pleasures of mine, although they're both terrible, he also did a Cena film. I had no idea he'd made a Jackie Chan/Johnny Knoxville buddy cop team up film until 2 minutes ago, guess I should probably set my expectations pretty low for that one.

• Paid Members
On 9/16/2020 at 7:14 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Rage (Prime)

Gary Daniels, a primary school teacher, is turned into an unwitting killing machine by a group of far right mercenaries. Which sounds great in itself but doesn't come close to explaining just how great this whole thing. Stupid, unquestionably, but also genuinely funny and knowingly so and, most importantly, featuring some absolutely great action scenes and stunts. Bloody great.

This might be the best gem you've ever put me on to. What a cracking little film. It's a lazy comparison and hyperbolic but it felt like Gary Daniels's Police Story. Great stuff.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I had no idea he'd made a Jackie Chan/Johnny Knoxville buddy cop team up film until 2 minutes ago, guess I should probably set my expectations pretty low for that one.

You absolutely should.

21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Hard Boiled (YouTube)

Still the greatest. And never forget the brilliant cast this thing has, which helps it immensely. Legitimately changed my life when I first saw it back in 1993 on Sky Movies, I genuinely had no idea films were allowed to be like this. A gateway film to foreign language cinema and beyond. It's incredible.

Started The Counterfeiter this morning just because Chow Yun-Fat was in it but quickly got bored and started to think about digging out my copy of this from the spare room.

Like you say, just a perfect action film and along with Chanel 4's Jackie Chan season, my entry point for HK cinema.

Edited by Just Some Guy
Salient point missing presumed dead

Edge Of Tomorrow. Is there a better babyface in cinema than Tom Cruise? He shows so much emotion in this film, he's just so sympathetic. He's way funnier than he gets credit for too. Think this was my third viewing and I'd totally forgotten Bill Paxton was in it who is equally fantastic.

World War Z. I've tried to watch this a few times and have somehow never managed to make it past the bit where they get to the tower block early on. Loved it. Brad Pitt in infuriatingly handsome. 

38 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah But Cruise does the turn from arrogant big head to likeable like no one else. 

This is what I'm getting at. There's not many that could pull it off.

38 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Plus Tom Hanks definitely moved to Greece because of paedo cults and that, Cruise would never be a part of such cult behaviour.

This is what I find so bizarre about Tom Cruise. As weird as he is off screen he's a gem as soon as he gets infront of a camera.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

There may be something wrong with me in the head, but I kind of enjoyed No Escape//Follow Me. 
That's all.

Never heard of this but sounds like fun, might stick it on at some point.

Virtuosity (nefarious means)

I love how Denzel Washington has spent so much of his career gracing films the critics say are beneath him. He knows a good laugh when he sees one, and he definitely saw one here. So did Russell Crowe, loving being completely deranged for the whole bloody thing. Just great stuff.

Riot (1996) (YouTube)

Not quite as good as Rage but still a corking Gary Daniels / Joseph Merhi actioner as well, featuring the obviously wonderful sight of Daniels and SUGAR RAY LEONARD battering a gang of racist baseball players in a pool hall.

Enemy of the State (Prime rental)

I'm definitely sure this is Tony Scott's finest film now. It's just ridiculously good. The cast are brilliant, it's got plenty of comedy moments but the action and political thriller elements blend together beautifully. Just a fantastic piece of work and even Will Smith was really good.

The Heiress (ok.ru)

Nobody talks about how William Wyler was one of the greatest directors of all time, but he was. I couldn't honestly say if this was his best because he made so many amazing films, but it's beautifully measured with a really devastating or brilliant ending (depending how you interpret it) and one of Olivia de Havilland's greatest performances. Classic Hollywood at its best.

• Paid Members

I hated I’m thinking of ending things too. I stuck with it purely for Jessie Buckley as she is absolutely superb in everything (especially Beast, check that out if you haven’t!). It took all my strength not to turn it off when...

Spoiler

The animated pig turned up...

So yeah, fuck that film

I’ve been going over to my Mum’s once a week for film club with her and my sister and I’m tempted to try out A Matter of Life and Death tonight as I hear it’s so good. For anyone who’s seen it, no spoilers please, but is it sad and going to make us all cry? Our life is a bit stressful atm and I don’t think they would appreciate it if I add to their heartbreak! 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I’ve been going over to my Mum’s once a week for film club with her and my sister and I’m tempted to try out A Matter of Life and Death tonight as I hear it’s so good. For anyone who’s seen it, no spoilers please, but is it sad and going to make us all cry? Our life is a bit stressful atm and I don’t think they would appreciate it if I add to their heartbreak! 

It's bittersweet, but more of the latter than the former. It's one of this country's greatest ever films, it's wonderful. Powell and Pressburger's run of films from The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp to The Small Back Room is unmatched in history, you should watch them all. Especially The Red Shoes.