VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I'm a fan of Nolan's movies. They never hold up on a rewatch but I love that his films feel like proper big budget spectacles on a huge scale you just don't really get anymore.

Tenet however is an absolute steaming pile of shit. The more I think about it the more I hate it. A complete train wreck of crap.

• Paid Members

Ava (nefarious means)

Just wretched. Sets the case for having more female-helmed action films back about a decade by being so incoherent and boring. Jessica Chastain is almost never in anything good, that should have been the clue. Awful.

Upgrade (Netflix)

Just as superb second time round. Leigh Whannell went from 'fuck off' to 'MAKE SOMETHING ELSE' in two years and two films, with The Invisible Man. Unbelievable.

10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Trolls: World Tour (cinema)

Take a fucking guess.

I actually quite enjoyed the first one. Well, it's not the worst thing the kids have watched on repeat anyway.

We've watched World Tour once and they've never asked to watch it again. Speaks for itself but I'm fucking glad.

11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Trolls: World Tour (cinema)

Take a fucking guess.

Okay. 

"It's an anthology style show featuring Anna Kendrick, and following her through the loves of her life (one of which was such a cunt I had to go for a fag after his episodes).

She elevates the show no end, and it sags a bit at times and gets a bit cliched, but she is such a likeable performer that you can't help but enjoy her performance. She has quite a bit of sex in the show as well and at one point you see her sitting on someones face so you know, a straight 11/10"

(courtesy of SuperBacon) 

Bill And Ted Face The Music. I was ready to hate every second of this and whilst it's the third best of the series it's still good, mindless fun with a couple of cameos that made me smile like an idiot. Keanu and Alex Winter are great but Samara Weaving is fantastic as usual. Dennis steals it for me though. I could have had way more scenes with him in.

Waiting

Still very, very funny and makes me laugh probably more than it should. Ryan Reynolds is sexy as fuck in this as well.

This Is Where I Leave You

Standard 'family member dies and dysfunctional family has to spend time together' fare that is slightly elevated by Adam Driver and Rose Byrne (she elevates everything). An incredibly easy watch with a finale that pays off emotionally I suppose.

Frances Ferguson 

Nick Offerman narrates this deadpan 'comedy' about a substitute teacher who commits a bit of statutory rape and the story around how that affects her and everyone around her in Small Town America. It's OK, and Kaley Wheless is really good in the title role, but everyone is such an absolute cretin, you don't really sympathise with any of them. Is only 70 minutes long though.

The Client

Cat was asleep on me last night and couldn't be arsed to get up and change the channel so ended up watching this, and really enjoyed it.

Stacked cast and always a thrill to see Ossie Davis and JT Walsh, but Anthony LaPaglia as a mob hit man, in his suit-with-no-shirt, mesh vests and his Shawn Michaels earring is one of the most unintentionally funny casting decisions I have ever seen. He was about as threatening as Mr Bean (what an up to date reference)

• Paid Members

The Vanished – Don’t do it to yizzerselves. Seriously. This is up/down there with Open Water in amongst the worst movies I have ever, ever seen. It doesn’t make any sense, whatsoever, at any stage.
I like Tom Jane, I really do, and I thought I could get by on him alone, but it’s poxy, and he’s poxy in it.
Anne Heche has aged well, in fairness as has Jason Patric. That’s really the only positives I can bestow on it.

Bill and Ted Face the Music – As someone who was such a huge Bill and Ted fan growing up, I was genuinely truly excited for this, if for nothing else other than to see the boys back, but it was awful, and in particular, the final third was desperate. And it legitimately pains me to say that.

I don’t want Bill and Teds’ daughters to save the world/universe/time.

I want it to be Bill and Ted. The way I was brought up thinking it would be.

.                                        Alex Winter was great though, but everyone else looked bored and confused.

• Paid Members

My Spy:

This would have been perfect material for any of you dad's to watch with the kids. Suitable and fun for the youngsters, and Big Dave being all kinds of great for the adults to enjoy. 

Couldn't decide what to watch a couple of nights ago with the brother, but we noticed Dave was in this and the discussion ended and on it went. I thought it was great craic. Big Dave Bautista has mastered being a nerd, a ladies man, a hard man, a comedian and a social activist, all in one big lovable bundle. I'll watch anything with him in it. Except I haven't gotten brave enough to watch the Escape Plan sequels yet. Should I?

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

I love the Bill and Ted films and I thought the new one was great. It was adorable with some really funny bits and completely felt like a B&T film to me, Keanu and Alex looked amazing. I didn't think I'd be into the idea of having their kids in prominent roles but I found them really appealing. 

I like B&T so much I wanted to pay for it but as far as I could tell that wasn't possible in The UK which seems silly as it made torrenting it impossible to resist.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I love the Bill and Ted films and I thought the new one was great. It was adorable with some really funny bits and completely felt like a B&T film to me, Keanu and Alex looked amazing. I didn't think I'd be into the idea of having their kids in prominent roles but I found them really appealing. 

I like B&T so much I wanted to pay for it but as far as I could tell that wasn't possible in The UK which seems silly as it made torrenting it impossible to resist.

Yep. The UK release is mid September (I believe it is being distributed by Warners here rather than MGM) as I was happy to pay for it as well. But it still wasn't confirmed if it would be same day cinema and VOD here either. I'll just buy the blu ray when it's announced.