• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

6 is brilliant, but 5 has one of my favourite details - the guy playing Tommy in it was a born again Christian, and apparently only felt comfortable doing it when he realised that evil was punished in

Is it Butch? 

Whenever I hear his name I'm always reminded of the "True or False' round on Shooting Stars. "True of False, Roy Kinnear?"

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

How to Build a Girl

I watched this last night and was disappointed. I thought her accent was all over the place, found the screenplay really poor (nobody in Wolverhampton in the 90s talked like these people) and even though it's semi-autobiographical, none of it rang true at all. 

Maybe I'm being overly harsh as I watched it right after the great Saint Frances, but it was definitely the weaker half of the 'woman attempts to find herself' double-bill.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I watched this last night and was disappointed. I thought her accent was all over the place, found the screenplay really poor (nobody in Wolverhampton in the 90s talked like these people) and even though it's semi-autobiographical, none of it rang true at all.

Arguably the truth is a bit stranger than the fiction.

Her accent is fucking horrendous in that movie. In the clip I saw it’s some times it’s Irish, most of the time it’s quite posh with the odd Wolverhampton end of a sentence when she remembers. 
My girlfriend is a big Moran fan but only managed about 10 minutes before turning it off. I was interested in watching it because John Niven co-wrote it but it looked pretty bad and the accent was too bad. 

• Paid Members

Beanie Feldstein is great but anything described as 'an adaptation of a Caitlin Moran novel' is not ever entering my eyes willingly.

Greyhound (can't remember, I've slept since then)

A 90 minute war movie! So obviously I really liked it. A cracking old fashioned action war thriller, no mess and no fuss. Hanks is great obviously and Stephen Graham still can't do an American accent.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

"I've already read the book before I knew it was being turned into a film" wanker perspective so maybe I'm being unduly harsh.

Turns out I can't stan the novel as what I'd actually read (well, listened to via Audible) was Moran's actual memoir (How to be a Woman).  How to Build a Girl is still yet to be played.  (I'm assuming that "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu was grabbed as a freebie as that's also in my unplayed stack.)

• Paid Members

The Finest Hours – Pretty much a generic oul Hollywooded True Story Hero flick, and it was grand, but my goodness, Ben Foster – even when he hasn’t got much to do at all really, is the best thing in – and elevates - everything he’s in. Including this. I just love looking at him. Every mannerism and movement means something. Truly a master of his craft, even when you know he’s just there to pay for a gaff and a new pool.

Jungle – This was quite a bizarre movie. I enjoyed it, and I was fascinated with Radcliffe really swinging haymakers for the role, but it got a bit preachy, melodramatic and tonally all over the place at points. But all in all, like the other one there, it was grand.

The Belko Experiment – I absolutely loved this, despite popular opinion to the contrary and it just reminded me of how much I miss Tony Goldwyn, which is why I’m going to watch him carry The Last House on the Left remake on his back tonight. Although if memory serves me, Dillahunt was great in this too, so maybe Goldwyn and Dillahunt gave it a wee Kings Chair and shared the burden.

• Paid Members

I watched a film and the only thing I knew about it going in was it had Scott Adkins in it. I certainly deserve whatever I get for making that choice, I don't know if there's a truer b movie star working today.

Legacy of Lies is one of those Eastern European straight to video thrillers where every scene is either in a nightclub or a standoff with high powered crooked Ukrainians. It was watchable if you miss late stage Steven Seagal films but too unimaginative and predictable and actually also didn't have enough fighting in it which is the worst thing of all.

• Paid Members

Been watching loads of Mike Leigh films lately and they're all great, lots of them on Amazon Prime as well. Secrets and Lies is still probably my favourite but still a few to watch.

Letter to Brezhnev (Prime rental)

Wonderful film. Lovely story behind it in that Alexandra Pigg and Peter Firth rekindled their on-set relationship 25 years later and got married a few years ago. Really funny and solidly anti-Thatcher too, for extra points.

• Paid Members

Knives Out - James Bond's wavering Texan accent a side it's a really fun old school who done it. If I had any criticism it's that Jamie Lee Curtis doesn't quite get enough powerhouse scenery chewing. It's now up on amazon prime.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Aside? His accent is the best bloody thing about it!

Welllllll that is definitely one way to look at it.

I finally watched Memento last night. If I'd have known Joey Pantz and early-2000s Carrie-Anne Moss were in it I'd have probably been all over it much sooner. Really enjoyed it but got a bit distracted towards the end and misunderstood what happened so had to rewind. Will definitely get a rewatch.