VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Her accent is fucking horrendous in that movie. In the clip I saw it’s some times it’s Irish, most of the time it’s quite posh with the odd Wolverhampton end of a sentence when she remembers. 
My girlfriend is a big Moran fan but only managed about 10 minutes before turning it off. I was interested in watching it because John Niven co-wrote it but it looked pretty bad and the accent was too bad. 

• Paid Members

Beanie Feldstein is great but anything described as 'an adaptation of a Caitlin Moran novel' is not ever entering my eyes willingly.

Greyhound (can't remember, I've slept since then)

A 90 minute war movie! So obviously I really liked it. A cracking old fashioned action war thriller, no mess and no fuss. Hanks is great obviously and Stephen Graham still can't do an American accent.

• Paid Members

The Finest Hours – Pretty much a generic oul Hollywooded True Story Hero flick, and it was grand, but my goodness, Ben Foster – even when he hasn’t got much to do at all really, is the best thing in – and elevates - everything he’s in. Including this. I just love looking at him. Every mannerism and movement means something. Truly a master of his craft, even when you know he’s just there to pay for a gaff and a new pool.

Jungle – This was quite a bizarre movie. I enjoyed it, and I was fascinated with Radcliffe really swinging haymakers for the role, but it got a bit preachy, melodramatic and tonally all over the place at points. But all in all, like the other one there, it was grand.

The Belko Experiment – I absolutely loved this, despite popular opinion to the contrary and it just reminded me of how much I miss Tony Goldwyn, which is why I’m going to watch him carry The Last House on the Left remake on his back tonight. Although if memory serves me, Dillahunt was great in this too, so maybe Goldwyn and Dillahunt gave it a wee Kings Chair and shared the burden.

• Paid Members

I watched a film and the only thing I knew about it going in was it had Scott Adkins in it. I certainly deserve whatever I get for making that choice, I don't know if there's a truer b movie star working today.

Legacy of Lies is one of those Eastern European straight to video thrillers where every scene is either in a nightclub or a standoff with high powered crooked Ukrainians. It was watchable if you miss late stage Steven Seagal films but too unimaginative and predictable and actually also didn't have enough fighting in it which is the worst thing of all.

• Paid Members

Been watching loads of Mike Leigh films lately and they're all great, lots of them on Amazon Prime as well. Secrets and Lies is still probably my favourite but still a few to watch.

Letter to Brezhnev (Prime rental)

Wonderful film. Lovely story behind it in that Alexandra Pigg and Peter Firth rekindled their on-set relationship 25 years later and got married a few years ago. Really funny and solidly anti-Thatcher too, for extra points.

• Paid Members

Knives Out - James Bond's wavering Texan accent a side it's a really fun old school who done it. If I had any criticism it's that Jamie Lee Curtis doesn't quite get enough powerhouse scenery chewing. It's now up on amazon prime.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Aside? His accent is the best bloody thing about it!

Welllllll that is definitely one way to look at it.

I finally watched Memento last night. If I'd have known Joey Pantz and early-2000s Carrie-Anne Moss were in it I'd have probably been all over it much sooner. Really enjoyed it but got a bit distracted towards the end and misunderstood what happened so had to rewind. Will definitely get a rewatch.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Really enjoyed it but got a bit distracted towards the end and misunderstood what happened so had to rewind. 

Fast forward, surely.

• Paid Members

The Pool (Shudder)

Thai horror film about a couple stranded in an empty pool that's also got a crocodile in it. Perfect stupid weekend entertainment, about as well done as you could expect from such a thing.

The Silencing (home taping is killing the industry)

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau did another 90 minute indie small time crime thriller and this one was pretty good plus with added Annabelle Wallis. Nice twist in the middle, well worth a look.

Palm Springs (Laserdisc lol)

I love a timeloop film and this alongside Russian Doll shows just how much scope for ideas this sort of thing still has. Really funny and just cements Andy Samberg as possibly the most likeable comedy actor around.

Crawl (I was going to rent it on Prime but I lost my fucking debit card so piss off)

Just as much fun on the rewatch, Scodders passes her leading woman test with flying colours, and Alexandre Aja is building up a real decent catalogue of horror films.

• Paid Members

There's a new film called Host that's just come out (Shudder).

It's a horror film under an hour long, set in lockdown on a zoom call. A bunch of friends do an online seance and it all goes wrong. Genuinely as tense and scary a film as I've seen in ages. Tempted to watch it again on laptop in the dark with headphones, but it might kill me.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

There's a new film called Host that's just come out (Shudder).

It's a horror film under an hour long, set in lockdown on a zoom call. A bunch of friends do an online seance and it all goes wrong. Genuinely as tense and scary a film as I've seen in ages. Tempted to watch it again on laptop in the dark with headphones, but it might kill me.

I loved the Dawn Of The Deaf short that those guys did, so whilst not being a massive fan of the genre, I think I'll give this a go seeing as it's got excellent reviews. Read recently that they're making a film with Sam Raimi as well, so that's awesome.

The Saint (1997)

This might be the first film that I was aware of the hype about in terms of 'big films' and loads of money being spent being a thing. It came out when I was 12 and I was reading Empire and Total Film at the time, and they both made it seem such a massive deal, and even though I had no idea about the show, I was hyped for this, and even made my Dad buy me the Movie Novelisation. 

It's a crap film, but I still really enjoyed it on a re-watch, and Elisabeth Shue is gorgeous. Val Kilmer is obviously great in everything.

From Up On Poppy Hill 

Absolutely loved it. Was in tears by the end, and it was such a heartwarming story.