VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

The book’s a pretty miserable read too. Great book but not uplifting in the slightest - thought the film did a really good job with the material.

I watched The American President on Netflix this afternoon. Fittingly it’s like a feature length pilot for The West Wing, but it also has Michael J Fox in it so let’s say it was also a bit of a Spin City test run. I like The West Wing so I knew I’d be in safe ground with this and I wasn’t disappointed. Got me thinking about Rob Reiner as a director too - this one’s a few years out from his golden period but what a run of films he had. Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, and Misery in a six year period. That’s a damn good set of films.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Some great one-liners, Henry Cavill is superb, and whilst I hate being that twat, the cinematography is gorgeous. It's stunning. But, yeah, this is one of the best action films of all time. It’s knocking on the door of number one, like its predecessors.

I was thinking yesterday, in a four year period from 2015 to 2019 we got John Wicks 2 and 3, Rogue Nation and Fallout, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Last Jedi and War for the Planet of the Apes. In my opinion, seven of, at the very least, the better action films ever made in a four year period. Fallout and Fury Road could be the best.

Then when you take the earlier part of the decade, we got Ghost Protocol, Edge of Tomorrow, Fast Five, Hanna and Jack Reacher. All of which are brilliant. The 2010s were a brilliant decade for action films, we were absolutely spoiled.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The book’s a pretty miserable read too. Great book but not uplifting in the slightest - thought the film did a really good job with the material.

It is miserable, but an incredible read. Richard Yates is probably my favourite author of all time and it really saddens me that outside of a few years after Revolutionary Road came out, he doesn't get anywhere near the acclaim he deserves.

@SuperBacon Gandolfini was in some really solid films in the last few years of his career and was great in all of them. Killing Them Softly, The Drop (back when Tom Hardy was bearable!) and Enough Said are all worth a watch if you haven't seen.

4 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

@SuperBacon Gandolfini was in some really solid films in the last few years of his career and was great in all of them. Killing Them Softly, The Drop (back when Tom Hardy was bearable!) and Enough Said are all worth a watch if you haven't seen.

Yep, cheers mate, only one out of them I haven't seen is Enough Said, so that's next on the list after Romance & Cigarettes.

I just really, really miss him.

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was thinking yesterday, in a four year period from 2015 to 2019 we got John Wicks 2 and 3, Rogue Nation and Fallout, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Last Jedi and War for the Planet of the Apes. In my opinion, seven of, at the very least, the better action films ever made in a four year period. Fallout and Fury Road could be the best.

Then when you take the earlier part of the decade, we got Ghost Protocol, Edge of Tomorrow, Fast Five, Hanna and Jack Reacher. All of which are brilliant. The 2010s were a brilliant decade for action films, we were absolutely spoiled.

And then there’s all those Avengers films.

0BB69ED1-BD92-4D10-9B13-F6DDDA6A6425.gif.d5fad0be2f86a5a9b09527d87f5d7a63.gif

You’re right, though. When I was in my 20s I assumed we’d seen the last of the best action films; I’d been breast-fed the best of the best in Predator, Top Gun and Indiana Jones so in my head it was a generational genre that would die with New Kids on the Block. Then we got the 90s which delivered like nothing else.

I got old and assumed the glory days were behind me and then we get served with the films you mentioned. I mention the Mission: Impossible films in conversation to mates who dismiss them as some flyaway nothingness. I need better mates.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I got old and assumed the glory days were behind me and then we get served with the films you mentioned. I mention the Mission: Impossible films in conversation to mates who dismiss them as some flyaway nothingness. I need better mates.

To be fair they don't have memorable plots. Great/good action films yes but not exactly memorable stories.

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, DEF said:

To be fair they don't have memorable plots. Great/good action films yes but not exactly memorable stories.

You can’t be on about Mission: Impossible not having memorable plots/stories, surely?

• Paid Members
Just now, Frankie Crisp said:

You can’t be on about Mission: Impossible not having memorable plots/stories, surely?

Well if you are comparing them to the greatest action movies of all time, yes. Die Hard, Predator, Terminator, Demolition Man, Con Air, John Wick etc. The stories of those films are absolutely as memorable as the action. Those IM films are interchangeable in that regard. Absolutely top notch action but you can't possibly argue they are on their level because the stories just don't mean as much. Not that they aren't good stories but they aren't nearly as memorable and important.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I wasn’t comparing them to anything. I’m going to bed.

Not saying you were but if your mates dismissed them flippantly I can see why.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, DEF said:

Well if you are comparing them to the greatest action movies of all time, yes. Die Hard, Predator, Terminator, Demolition Man, Con Air, John Wick etc. The stories of those films are absolutely as memorable as the action. Those IM films are interchangeable in that regard. Absolutely top notch action but you can't possibly argue they are on their level because the stories just don't mean as much. Not that they aren't good stories but they aren't nearly as memorable and important.

This is why I never bother to debate with you on films so it's good that you've highlighted the reason why to everyone else.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is why I never bother to debate with you on films so it's good that you've highlighted the reason why to everyone else.

Funnily that's why I don't debate with you about films either.