VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
On 6/23/2020 at 6:24 AM, DEF said:

That reminds me I've had Shinjuku Incident sat an a shelf for the best of 5 years now. Should really get that watched.

Shinjuku Incident is great, but it's a drama, not an action film.

I'll probably watch Armour of God 3 at some point, but I'll pretend it's not related to the other two, which will be easy as I already pretend Operation Condor isn't the sequel to Armour of God.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Shinjuku Incident is great, but it's a drama, not an action film.

I'll probably watch Armour of God 3 at some point, but I'll pretend it's not related to the other two, which will be easy as I already pretend Operation Condor isn't the sequel to Armour of God.

Yeah I think that's why it's been left on a shelf so long. I'm slightly less proactive with dramas and just plain forgot it's there.

• Paid Members

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (YouTube)

It only struck me on this viewing that Clint Eastwood just isn't the main character at all in this, but rather Eli Wallach. A fucking masterpiece. But RIP @Arch Stanton, of course.

Shallow Grave (YouTube)

Really brave to do a debut film like this where all three of your leads are dislikeable pricks, but it absolutely worked. Still arguably Danny Boyle's best film.

Force of Nature (nefarious means)

Mel Gibson has done some good work since his 'comeback', mostly in lowkey thrillers and action films, but even the racist old cunt can't save this from being really crap. Somebody save Kate Bosworth's career.

• Moderators

Slade in Flame (VHS recorded from BBC 2 at some point in the 90s)

What a fucking film. Easily the greatest film ever made by a band, and possibly one of the best films ever made. It's fucking perfect. Watch it, then try and call me a liar, and I'll post you a copy of two weeks at Mccolls and A Big Roast Chicken. 

Really, it's a fucking beautiful piece of cinema. 

• Paid Members

That Thing You Do - It's just such a lovely, lovely movie that is very close to me heart from when I saw it in the flicks and was in a band on the cusp.
Literally every line the wonderful Steve Zahn uttered had me either laughing or smiling, and there weren't many effortlessly cool moments in a movie than this. And it was by Tom Hanks.

HankPop.gif

I actually used to hate Tom Hanks and his sentimental bollocks, and maybe it's old age and me maturing in general, but I really love him now.

Angel of Mine - It's grim. It's bleak. It was the wrong choice.

Edited by Scott Malbranque
Placement. Fisher Price PC. Danke.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Angel of Mine - It's grim. It's bleak. It was the wrong choice.

This was a real surprise to me. Was expecting your usual psychological stalker thriller but it was much more than that. Noomi Rapace has racked up a bunch of low-key and great little films like this in recent years, long may it continue.

• Paid Members

Aye, the missus absolutely loved it but I was just so genuinely, hopelessly downbeat after it.
Maybe because I've had a shit, shit week with work and with finally clearing out me da's gaff and all, but it was the wrong choice given the week I've had and probably why I enjoyed the harmless 'That Thing You Do' so much.
I absolutely adore Noomi Rapace though and I'm definitely going to rewatch it as it's normally my type of movie.

I'm tentatively looking at giving Force of Nature a belt tonight. Or something brainless, akin to that.

29 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I actually used to hate Tom Hanks and his sentimental bollocks, and maybe it's old age and me maturing in general, but I really love him now.

Absolutely this. Couldn't stand him and thought he was limited.

Utter bollocks on my part. He is an incredible actor. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'm tentatively looking at giving Force of Nature a belt tonight. Or something brainless, akin to that.

It's not at all good. You should watch Lost Bullet on Netflix if you want a quick, good actioner, I think you'll like it.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

That Thing You Do - It's just such a lovely, lovely movie that is very close to me heart from when I saw it in the flicks and was in a band on the cusp.
Literally ever line the wonderful Steve Zahn uttered had me either laughing or smiling, and there weren't many effortlessly cool moments in a movie than this. And it was by Tom Hanks.

This film would have died on its arse if the song was even a little off, but it's perfect. I think it was written by the Fountains of Wayne guy. 

I hate films which have an element in them that can't be properly revealed or described due to the limitations of the filmmakers, for example in the excretable Stranger Than Fiction we're told Emma Thompson is a genius writer, but everything you ever hear about her work is shite, including the twist in the book the film revolves around, because no one involved is a genius writer. 

• Paid Members

I've never actually seen Stranger Than Fiction. Mainly because I cannot stand Will Ferrd'l for the most part and my missus, one Christmas, got me the Ron Burgundy 'autobiography'.
I genuinely was so sad and felt like everything - all the effort and time - I'd put into the courtship and our relationship in general was thrun back in my face.

• Paid Members

I can't be doing with Ferrell either. There's a whole chunk of films I haven't watched yet because of him. I can't imagine how funny Step Brothers could have been if he wasn't in it.

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, the song from That Thing You Do! was written by Adam Schlesinger, best known for Fountains of Wayne, who died of COVID earlier this year. Tom Hanks wrote a nice tribute to him at the time and I think he said similar about how if the song hadn’t have worked, the film wouldn’t have worked.

And speaking of Ferrell...

Eurovision (Netflix) got terrible reviews but I enjoyed it! Iceland and Edinburgh both look great in it, Rachel McAdams is super charming, Dan Stevens is very funny and it’s got appearances (albeit too brief) from Jamie and Natasia Demetriou. In the absence of an actual Eurovision this year we found it a pretty fun substitute.