VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, gmoney said:

I hate films which have an element in them that can't be properly revealed or described due to the limitations of the filmmakers, for example in the excretable Stranger Than Fiction we're told Emma Thompson is a genius writer, but everything you ever hear about her work is shite, including the twist in the book the film revolves around, because no one involved is a genius writer. 

Good idea for a thread this.

It tends to happen with journalists in films/shows too. I vaguely recall in Daredevil when Karen Page starts working for the newspaper, her boss is telling her what a great article shes written. The episode ends with her narration of the article and it's the most bollocks sentimental bit of writing possible. There's probably tons of other examples too.

• Awards Moderator

It's an absolutely wonderful film. John Singleton snuffing it put it under the nose of loads more people, but it's a hugely important piece of art which is still relevant today. The last 15 minutes are incredible; Ricky realising what's going on and trying to leg it is so well done because you know what's going to happen but you desperately want it not to. Laurence Fishbourne is brilliant in it.

Back when Laurence was Larry. Ice Cube is tremendous also but I feel the Cuba Gooding Jr. performance has aged fairly poorly mostly because he's acted the same in everything since and it’s hard to buy his emotional outburst without picturing him mugging for the camera in Snowdogs or some other guff.

• Awards Moderator

It’s Cuba Gooding’s third best performance, behind Jerry Maguire and Judgment Night. The latter of which is one of my favourite films of the 90s, if anyone wants to watch a boss danger thriller. 

Anyway, I’m in the middle of watching Deep Blue Sea. It’s incredible.

• Awards Moderator

Deep Blue Sea (1999)

Fucking hell. This film is off the map. I mean, it’s shit, but it’s brilliant at the same time. I’ve been getting into shark films lately but this one is mental. LL Cool J gets stuck in an oven. The lead woman is the worst actress in the history of film. Michael Rapaport is so bad he deserves to be eaten by a shark. Sam Jackson’s turn? Yerrssss. But just to go back, LL Cool J GETS STUCK IN AN OVEN.

Kinell. Watch it. Better than Jaws.

• Awards Moderator

Judgment Night (1993)

I kind of suggested this to myself last night, so threw it on this afternoon. It’s so good. Falls into the Breakdown/‘why doesn’t everyone know about this?’ category.

The nighttime setting is so important to the story and it’s really well laid out, for what’s essentially and Tom & Jerry plot. Gang of lads get into a bit of bother, get chased around and it goes off. So simple but a really well thought-out film. I think the unexpected bits are what make it (can’t be arsed with spoiler tags). 

Denis Leary is pretty much the same character he always is, but it works well in this instance. Jeremy Piven - the Earthquake of the acting world - was 27 when they made this! He must have had a twat of a paper round.

• Paid Members

I absolutely love Judgement Night. I was hooked and sucked into the hype when the exceptionally loaded crossover OST was released way back when (some of the tracks of which, still pop up on my workout playlist) before the movie was released, and on release, the cinema (Savoy in Dublin) was packed with grungers, skaters and metalheads. Was a wonderful experience, and a cracking movie that I’m going to watch tonight on the back of all this chat.

Last night, I went through This is Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind for the umpteenth time. The former is probably the greatest comedy ever put down and as I get older, I appreciated Shearers’ Derek Smalls so, so much more. The earnestness and innocence of his character is fucking beautiful to watch and I think my new favourite scene (which changes with each viewing, in fairness) is at Elvis’ grave and Shearers’ expression of realisation and muted elation on his face he joins in with singing ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ is just a joy to watch.

The latter is a bit more slapstick, but my word, it never gets old. Willard just haymakers every scene he’s in, and I don’t care how ridiculous this sounds, but every time I’ve seen this, when Catherine O’Hara sings “My Sweet, My Dear, My Darling…”during ‘Kiss at the End of the Rainbow, I well up and want to be a better person.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Judgment Night makes a great double-bill with Walter Hill's Trespass, if you haven't seen it, @Frankie Crisp and @Scott Malbranque

That's a cracker too, D-Mal, aye. When I was obsessed with Bill Paxton as a wee lad, I watched a really shit pirate copy of this on VHS - on rinse and repeat - that I got for a fiver off the ice cream van man who would sell us CamRips out of the back of his truck before CamRips were a thing.
I also thank him for similar copies of Deep Cover, Candyman (where we got the full immersive cinema experience with some swine smacking some sort of confectionery around his mouth for the duration) and Sliver, which was a fierce let down for the 13 year old me.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I watched the 2019 remake of Black Christmas (Amazon paid) yesterday, after a horror critic I followed talked about it being very underrated by a mostly male critic-base, as it was quite a feminist revision.

It's not sensational by any means, but it is doing some interesting stuff. It would have probably fared better if it hadn't been called Black Christmas. Other than a few hat-tips, it's much more inspired-by than a remake-of. 

There are some effective bits in there, and it's clearly aiming at toxic male culture and campus date rape. And while it does it all a bit clumsily, I did find it pretty refreshing. When it gets it right, it works well, and could have been really good. The ending wanders off the map, but it's also pretty cathartic. Imogen Poots is really good, as she tends to be. Cary Elwes is fun in it too.

So, overall, it's far from a masterpiece, but was doing enough interesting stuff to be worth the time. And I'm much more a fan of films that try and fail than ones that set their sites low.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I watched the 2019 remake of Black Christmas (Amazon paid) yesterday, after a horror critic I followed talked about it being very underrated by a mostly male critic-base, as it was quite a feminist revision.

It's not sensational by any means, but it is doing some interesting stuff. It would have probably fared better if it hadn't been called Black Christmas. Other than a few hat-tips, it's much more inspired-by than a remake-of. 

There are some effective bits in there, and it's clearly aiming at toxic male culture and campus date rape. And while it does it all a bit clumsily, I did find it pretty refreshing. When it gets it right, it works well, and could have been really good. The ending wanders off the map, but it's also pretty cathartic. Imogen Poots is really good, as she tends to be. Cary Elwes is fun in it too.

So, overall, it's far from a masterpiece, but was doing enough interesting stuff to be worth the time. And I'm much more a fan of films that try and fail than ones that set their sites low.

It not being a real remake didn't bother me at all. I admire that they tried something new and swung from the fences with the burial of toxic masculinity and rape culture.  However I was really into it for the first hour but they utterly flush away all the good will with the ending to the point that I actually think its reprehensible.