VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Weird Double Header last night

Maiden Voyage (Youtube)

Classically shit Casper Van Dien movie on a ferry, not a cruise ship, honest. Obviously It's brilliant despite its zero budget and bullets that make those in the A team look accurate

Suicide Squad (Prime)

It's okay,  It's not uber shit nor amazing. Assume it was a sleeper for a Deadshot series of films, rather than what those who want it to be is. Amanda Waller is the bad guy in this surely?

Schindlers List

Because nothing screams Friday night like a 3 hour film about the horrors of the holocaust.

To be honest, it is a brilliant film, it flies by and I especially loved Liam Neeson this time around. Very understated. Only noticed as well on this watch that Helen Hirsch is Embeth Davidtz.

14 hours ago, patiirc said:

Suicide Squad (Prime)

It's okay,  It's not uber shit nor amazing. Assume it was a sleeper for a Deadshot series of films, rather than what those who want it to be is. Amanda Waller is the bad guy in this surely?

It is ĂĽber shit and it felt more like a Harley Quinn origin than any of the other characters.

It’s terrible but the reason I’ve chimed in is because I heard there were some rumblings for an Ayer cut. Ffs, like it wasn’t bad enough that the Snyder cut shit was successful (yeah right, what that film needs is to be another hour or two longer) but this is too much. Fan power ruins everything, or in this case makes shit things shitter.

Edited by Mr_Danger

11 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It is ĂĽber shit and it felt more like a Harley Quinn origin than any of the other characters.

It’s terrible but the reason I’ve chimed in is because I heard there were some rumblings for an Ayer cut. Ffs, like it wasn’t bad enough that the Snyder cut shit was successful (yeah right, what that film needs is to be another hour or two longer) but this is too much. Fan power ruins everything, or in this case makes shit things shitter.

Well fair dos 

It was the second time watching, having not seen it since nefarious means way back. To me it was a bog standard action flick, any of the characters could have been substituted. I too do not get the fan boy stuff. There's some discussion in the Comic book thread on the Ayre cut. Really dont care. Not that invested in the whole must be brilliant stuff. It's a film, It passed time.  

Tonight off to watch Bravestarr the Movie I think :)

• Paid Members

I watched The Boy and Brahms: The Boy II, the recent scary doll films.

I have no idea what the general consensus on them is but I really loved the first one, there comes a point in a film like that where you kind of have to reveal what's going on and I was very satisfied.

The second one wasn't quite as good but it was still worthwhile and it tied in and expanded on the first in a way that worked pretty well. Also it had Katie Holmes in it. 

• Paid Members

Hard Times (1975)

It doesn't get much more quintessential Charles Bronson than this does it? This is him as everyone knows him. The type of man that every man either thinks they are, or wishes they were, but aren't and never will be. I've always loved Bronson in the Dirty Dozen, Once Upon a Time in The West, The Mechanic and The Great Escape. But I'll be damned if this doesn't make a run at the top for one of his very best.

Chaney's character also seems like it wouldn't have been out of place in Hopper's Nighthawks painting. A lone wolf, with a story, drifting along. Maybe he'll tell you about it over a cup of coffee and maybe he won't. Then in the blink of an eye he'll be gone again. It's almost like the Jack Reacher character from Lee Child's books was half ripped from Bronson in Hard Times. 

Adult Life Skills

It couldn't be more of a stereotypical comedy/drama indie movie - set in the countryside, acoustic singer/songwriter soundtrack, love story shoe-horned in right at the end, quirky female character, awkward characters nervously laughing at each others jokes - but after the initial slow first act I really enjoyed it. Jodie Whittaker is loads better in this than in Dr. Who. I presume anyway, I've never seen Dr. Who.

• Paid Members

Transit (2012) (Prime)

With a better director and somebody who can act in the lead (because Jim Caviezel fuckin sucks) this could have been a legitimately excellent action thriller. As it is, it's still pretty enjoyable and you can't argue too much at 85 minutes.

The King of the Kickboxers (YouTube)

Billy Blanks turns heel and talks in really slow motion and Keith Cooke tries the Drunken Master act. Loren Avedon is a right twat in the lead but the fight scenes are excellent, especially the final one. Bags of fun.

Anchorman (nefarious means)

*John Mulaney doing Mick Jagger voice* Not funny! Will Ferrell is fucking shit and so is this.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (NETFLIX)

Thank you to all the other films, but I think we have our winner.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anchorman (nefarious means)

*John Mulaney doing Mick Jagger voice* Not funny! Will Ferrell is fucking shit and so is this.

Too fucking right. Not long after it had came out on either DVD or Sky, I can't quite remember which, a friend of mine asked me and my brother over to watch it as he absolutely loved it. Neither of us had ever seen it. He was dying to show us it. We tend to have very similar interests in films, so I was optimistic. 

I felt terrible for him as he was laughing away throughout, and me and the wee brother never laughed once. Not even once. There wasn't a second of that film that I found remotely entertaining. Yet he loved it. I still don't get it. It has a cult following by the looks of it, one which I'll never be able to understand. 

• Awards Moderator

I’ve watched Mission: Impossible - Fallout twice in two days and honest to God, it gets better every time. Think I'm well into double-figures in total, since watching it at the picture house.

They seem to want to out-do themselves every time and they don’t fuck about achieving it.

Obviously, it’s the best action franchise of all time, but (and without spoilers), the last twenty minutes is fucking magnificent, and I’m not being over the top with that. Each time I watch it I expect to be slightly less entertained because I know what’s coming, but no. Breathtaking.

Some great one-liners, Henry Cavill is superb, and whilst I hate being that twat, the cinematography is gorgeous. It's stunning. But, yeah, this is one of the best action films of all time. It’s knocking on the door of number one, like its predecessors.

Eleven stars.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Anchorman came out when all my mates were at uni and they absolutely spaffed over it, and would quote it nonstop. Subsequently I was left out of the conversations so I've always hated it.

Welcome To The Rileys (Prime)

I've been really missing James Gandolfini recently so I watched this. He's definitely my favourite actor of all time, but this is only really based on The Sopranos (sort of like how Nas is probably my favourite rapper but just because of Illmatic) and rightfully so, as that's probably the greatest acting performance of all time.

This is a really sweet story of a couple who are struggling to keep it together after their 15 year old daughter dies, and Gandolfini ends up bonding with a teenage runaway, an excellent Kristen Stewart.

Big Jim is as brilliant as ever, but the star of the film is a very understated Melissa Leo who is just superb as his traumatised wife.

Going to try and watch all Gandolfini's films now as there are a few gaps.

Revolutionary Road
I wouldn’t recommend it as it’s fucking miserable but the acting is top notch across the board. Michael Shannon absolutely steals the show, up there with his best Take Shelter and Boardwalk Empire performances for the short time he’s onscreen. 

I did have a hunch that Mendes and Winslet might have separated shortly after this and sure enough they did! Definitely feels like he was working some issues out with his direction of her and her character not being a hugely sympathetic one but maybe it’s true to the source material. Still seems like she was undersold a bit.

Edited by Mr_Danger