VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Wayne's World. Still funny, I can still quote it word for word and there's so many lines that I've appropriated and use more regularly than I care to admit.

Wayne's World 2. Not as good as the original but still a fun watch that has it's moments and quotable bits.

Airheads. This felt like a logical film to watch after the previous two. I've got fond memories of watching this on repeat on VHS. Like Wayne's World I quote this far too regularly. Yeah, it's kinda naff but it's got some great cameos, a fantastic soundtrack and is still laugh out loud funny in a couple of places. Also it gets a pass for this song.

Edited by cobra_gordo

Arrietty

Currently making my way through Ghibli with my kids, and whilst she loved this, I didn't. I really hated the Dad as well, and the voice acting (something I can usually let slide), I thought was atrocious in places.

Donnie Brasco

Still one of Pacino's best performances I reckon (might even be number one) and Depp's best ever (he'll never top this). I remember seeing this at the cinema, which means it must've been a 15 as there's no way I looked 18 at age 12, and begging my Dad to buy me the book it was based on afterwards, and really feeling sorry for Lefty.

I think I still do.

Carlito's Way

Utter, utter shit. When I was 15/16 there was a small group of films we would watch when stoned at my mates. Scarface, Goodfellas, Raging Bull and this. And I have no idea why we revered it as much as the others as it is really, REALLY bad, and we used to love it.

Will never watch it again.

5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

You're having a laugh. Carlito's Way is great. Sean Penn's best performance. 

He's great in it yeah, but this time around I thought it was a really, really poor film.

The soundtrack particularly was dreadful. I blame that Joe Cocker song. 

16 minutes ago, gmoney said:

You're having a laugh. Carlito's Way is great. Sean Penn's best performance. 

He’s wrong about Arrietty as well. I watched Donnie Brasco on a flight once, all the fucks were replaced with freaks. It was ace. 

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

He’s wrong about Arrietty as well. I watched Donnie Brasco on a flight once, all the fucks were replaced with freaks. It was ace. 

@me you absolute pussy...oh no, wait was that passive aggressive?

I just didn't find it as endearing as the others we've watched that's all. Eldest is obsessed though. You should see her birthday wishlist. Bloody 3 foot Totoro.

I think the best dub I've ever seen/heard about is the Scarface "Where'd you get a scar like that tough guy? Eating pineapple?" Wonderful.

• Paid Members

Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Vince Vaughn in prison as the toughest man in the world) One of the only films I really wanted to see that I hadn't seen yet and I enjoyed it a lot. 

Vince's character had the stupidest motivation ever for his actions, the whole thing was so dumb but that's ok because it's a grindhouse style, violent prison b movie.

It's cool that extreme gross out violence is like a stylistic choice now, I always enjoy watching a film and suddenly there's an eye popped out or a grisly compound fracture and you're like; "oh, it's gonna be one of those" This is one of those.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

How to Build a Girl

I watched this last night and was disappointed. I thought her accent was all over the place, found the screenplay really poor (nobody in Wolverhampton in the 90s talked like these people) and even though it's semi-autobiographical, none of it rang true at all. 

Maybe I'm being overly harsh as I watched it right after the great Saint Frances, but it was definitely the weaker half of the 'woman attempts to find herself' double-bill.