VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Peter Greenaway is such a massive blind spot for me. My dad worked in Ritz Video when I was a kid, and I think Greenaway and Hitchcock were the only directors' videos he ever actually bought rather than always renting, and he used to bang on about him - and this film in particular - to anyone who would listen.

Haven't heard him talk about him for years now, but that might have to be my next project to make my way through his filmography. 

I gather this is probably about his most accessible film but by and large I don't enjoy avant garde or experimental films, which is why I've avoided him. This was great but I don't anticipate watching more of his. Best of luck to you though!

High Hopes (Prime)

Another wonderful Mike Leigh film, been a genuine pleasure to watch a load of his films recently. Possibly my favourite to date, Phil Davis is fantastic.

• Paid Members

My Name Is Joe (YouTube)

Typical Ken Loach laugh-a-minute film. Really good though, as per usual, and Peter Mullan really is one of the best actors on the planet.

How to Get Ahead in Advertising (nefarious means)

Lunatic satire of advertising with one of Richard E. Grant's greatest performances, if not the greatest. Loses steam near the end, but still pertinent and very funny.

Vanishing on 7th Street (Prime)

Brad Anderson has made a bunch of superb films (The Machinist, Transsiberian, The Call) and could be the new Peter Hyams if he put his mind to it. But this is terribly boring and throws away a great idea on dull characters. Very disappointing.

• Paid Members

Twin Town (YouTube)

Not at all good or funny. Kevin Allen's best work will always be being in The Thin Blue Line.

The Empire Strikes Back (cinema)

Only got Return of the Jedi to see out of the proper five Star Wars films now at the cinema. 

• Paid Members

After avoiding it, and constantly being told it's not so bad, I relented and gave Transformers: Age of Extinction a try. 

Pile of shit. When I gave up, there was still another hour and a half to go. Budget is the only thing that separates it from the overblown, plot hole rampant crap that appears on a DVD with three other films.

• Paid Members

Watched Knives Out this morning. Really enjoyed it. The pacing, the seeming twists, the resolution. Rian Johnson seems to do a great job of thinking everything through where he can. Benoit Blanc is a great character and moves everything forward well. It'll be very interesting to see where a sequel goes. 

• Awards Moderator
45 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Watched Knives Out this morning. Really enjoyed it. The pacing, the seeming twists, the resolution. Rian Johnson seems to do a great job of thinking everything through where he can. Benoit Blanc is a great character and moves everything forward well. It'll be very interesting to see where a sequel goes. 

I'm hoping totally new setting, brand new mystery, all new characters except for Blanc (and maybe LaKeith Stanfield's character).

Yeah they can totally turn that in to a whole series of films in the Agatha Christie style if they want. No reason for any major continuous plot to run through them. Then again Rian Johnson will probably want to put his own spin on the genre so who knows what he does next.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah they can totally turn that in to a whole series of films in the Agatha Christie style if they want.

And unlike Agatha Christie, they might actually be good.

Eeeeh, been a while

Blind Fury (Prime)

"Shit! Fuck! ShitFuck!". Brilliant film, aging nicely, completely ridiculous homage/remake of Zaitochi

Blade (Prime)

Been a long time since I have seen this, holds up well and the sarky protagonist antihero in Blade must have been an inspiration for Deadpool on screen. How quick people forget. Udo Kier is amazing as he is in everything and heck even the CGI holds up. That dance scene tho...

Blade II (Prime)

Great premise, aged horribly due to CGI and a narrative that falls apart about halfway through. Great to look at stylistically but after not seen for so long. It left me cold. Though naming which Bloodpac actors have been in what with added, albeit silent ,Donnie Yen is always a bonus ❤️ 

Knives Out (Prime)

Wouldn't have known it existed without this thread, Superb. Daniel Craig is an uber-hammy delight ( to be fair he's also wonderful in Logan Lucky, which is immense!) and the whole thing is delicious. Love to see where the sequel goes.

The Great Escape (Netflix)

Not seen this for a while, was torrential rain over the weekend and myself and the other half fancied some war movies, ended up watching this and then starting on ANZACS which is superb. Aside from some really jarring plot points and deaths which totally undermine the characters, it's a fun watch, but not spectacular given the cast. Never quite got why it's so loved, given the ending is actually bleak as all hell.  Prefer Steve McQueen in Papillion as a prisoner to be honest.

• Paid Members

Special Bulletin (Youtube)

A TV movie from the 80s about a US news studio who end up live-broadcasting a hostage situation with some people who have set up a nuclear bomb on a boat off the US coast. There are some smart ideas in this, and some interesting characters and ideas. A pretty easy watch, with some admittedly naff special effects towards the end. It's certainly not Threads, but it's worth an hour and a half.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (Amazon paid)

I'd been meaning to watch this for ages anyway, but never have before. And it's just tremendous. There are some dated parts, obviously (the lead character is mildly racist in a way that's clearly meant to be endearing), but it's easy to watch and easy to like. It's clever and funny throughout (there's a gag built up involving the mayor which is paid-off perfectly off-screen), and Robert Shaw is terrifying yet again. What a marvellous villain that guy could be. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (Amazon paid)

I'd been meaning to watch this for ages anyway, but never have before. And it's just tremendous. There are some dated parts, obviously (the lead character is mildly racist in a way that's clearly meant to be endearing), but it's easy to watch and easy to like. It's clever and funny throughout (there's a gag built up involving the mayor which is paid-off perfectly off-screen), and Robert Shaw is terrifying yet again. What a marvellous villain that guy could be. 

I've watched this probably dozens of times and don't have any problem with saying it's the best crime film of the 1970s and one of the greatest of all time. Absolutely superb soundtrack too.

• Paid Members

Tenet - Now, I'm not a Nolan hater, nor do I get annoyed just because his name is affixed to a movie, as to be fair, I loved Interstellar and if I enjoy a movie, I enjoy a movie (see Uwe Boll and Postal), but this was a load of bollocks. Truly.
Nolan basically tried to make a Bond/M:I movie and throw his own now contrived "mind bending" shite through - and over the top - of it. It does play out as you think, kind of like Bond by way of Inception, and maybe that's a lazy comparison, but it's a lazy fucking movie.
Robert Pattinson and Fiona Dourif's face are probably the best things in it, followed closely by John David Washington's bulge in grey pants, which in i-Sense, is quite spectacular.
That was it really. It's shite and there was a fierce invasive bang of some sort of rose and leather oud hybrid pumping all over the kip, but I enjoyed my Odeon Nachos, to be fair.

Edited by Scott Malbranque