VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Sky). Exactly what you expect it to be, but filled with more cameo’s then you could shake a stick at. My fandom of that universe faded years ago, and I’m sure people will find it brilliant but I thought it was just fine. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

The Rental (pirate copy from my mate in The Dog & Hand Shandy)

Co-written by Joe Swanberg, so obviously nothing happens for ages. But then it unexpectedly turns into a decent slasher film with a couple of superb scenes and a pretty good ending. Directed by Dave Franco! Worth a look.

Game Night (Prime)

Just as good on the rewatch. People will have you believe Rachel McAdams and Jesse Plemons are the real stars here, and they *are* great, but Billy Magnussen is a big favourite of mine. That guy is awesome.

• Paid Members

Foxcatcher.

Been meaning to watch this for ages.  Although I've been a pro wrestling fan since I can remember, never really looked at amateur wrestling.  Glad I didn't now, it came across weird as fuck in this film.  Great acting, cracking film, but Jesus they were odd.

True Romance. No idea why it's taken me so long to watch this but I loved every minute. Other than Slater and Arquette, I don't think anybody else gets more than ten minutes screen time each but none of the performances are phoned in, some are downright fantastic (Gabdolfini,Sizemore) and Dennis Hopper is his usual marvellous self. Really can't find any faults.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Foxcatcher.

Been meaning to watch this for ages.  Although I've been a pro wrestling fan since I can remember, never really looked at amateur wrestling.  Glad I didn't now, it came across weird as fuck in this film.  Great acting, cracking film, but Jesus they were odd.

It's phenomenal. Really affecting, and one of my "favourite" - if I can call something that had me on edge the entire time a "favourite" - movies of recent years. The way they keep the level of tension from ever really falling beyond "deeply unsettling" is incredible. I wish I could have watched it without previously knowing the gist of the story, though - everyone I watched it with was blown away by how it ended.

In terms of amateur wrestlers being oddballs, the whole "making weight" scene fucked me right up. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's phenomenal. Really affecting, and one of my "favourite" - if I can call something that had me on edge the entire time a "favourite" - movies of recent years. The way they keep the level of tension from ever really falling beyond "deeply unsettling" is incredible. I wish I could have watched it without previously knowing the gist of the story, though - everyone I watched it with was blown away by how it ended.

In terms of amateur wrestlers being oddballs, the whole "making weight" scene fucked me right up. 

That but got me too. I knew the end as well, but still enjoyed it. If it had have been fiction, you know Mark would have been the murderer.  

• Paid Members

Relic (WinZip)

Not to be confused with The Relic although you should watch that because it's great and so is Peter Hyams. Not bad, this. It doesn't do anything new but it's really atmospheric and creepy and doesn't contain a solitary jump scare. Emily Mortimer is the best.

Raining Stones (Prime)

Possibly my favourite Ken Loach to date although loses points for Ricky Tomlinson showing his arse and bollocks. Funny up top, pessimistic and powerful towards the end, an absolutely great film.

• Paid Members
On 8/2/2020 at 1:00 AM, SuperBacon said:

I loved the Dawn Of The Deaf short that those guys did, so whilst not being a massive fan of the genre, I think I'll give this a go seeing as it's got excellent reviews. Read recently that they're making a film with Sam Raimi as well, so that's awesome.

The Saint (1997)

This might be the first film that I was aware of the hype about in terms of 'big films' and loads of money being spent being a thing. It came out when I was 12 and I was reading Empire and Total Film at the time, and they both made it seem such a massive deal, and even though I had no idea about the show, I was hyped for this, and even made my Dad buy me the Movie Novelisation. 

You should watch the "New Saint" movie from the 70s with Ian Ogilvy as "The Saint". An always forgotten about actor.

• Paid Members

Colossal (Netflix)

I'd never heard of it, girlfriend picked it out last night.

Woman with drinking problem is going through a break-up, returns to the small town she was born in to try and rebuild her life. Meanwhile, a giant monster is appearing in Seoul every night. She figures out that she has some kind of connection to the monster, and has to cope with show she'll manage it.

I figured that any explanation for the how/why of it all would be fairly unsatisfying, and not really the point of it all, so wasn't too fussed about that side of it - it was clearly always going to be an analogy for her own personal problems, more than it was a puzzle to be solved. What I wasn't expecting was quite how intense a lot of the rest of the film would be - there are points where, as a study in emotional manipulation and abuse, it was really quite uncomfortable to watch. 

It was good, just not at all what I expected.

Just now, BomberPat said:

Colossal (Netflix)

I'd never heard of it, girlfriend picked it out last night.

Woman with drinking problem is going through a break-up, returns to the small town she was born in to try and rebuild her life. Meanwhile, a giant monster is appearing in Seoul every night. She figures out that she has some kind of connection to the monster, and has to cope with show she'll manage it.

I figured that any explanation for the how/why of it all would be fairly unsatisfying, and not really the point of it all, so wasn't too fussed about that side of it - it was clearly always going to be an analogy for her own personal problems, more than it was a puzzle to be solved. What I wasn't expecting was quite how intense a lot of the rest of the film would be - there are points where, as a study in emotional manipulation and abuse, it was really quite uncomfortable to watch. 

It was good, just not at all what I expected.

I absolutely loved that film. Anne Hathaway is always excellent, and like you say it's way more intense than it sounds on paper.

• Paid Members

Horns.

Enjoyable lark that kept me interested, but I did work out the mystery very early on In the movie.  Daniel Ratcliffe has become a very capable actor as he’s grown up.