VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, stewdogg said:

It was on TCM the other day and instead of Taco Bell they had dinner at Pizza Hut! Seems like it’s a UK thing, apparently Brits don’t know what Taco Bell is. 

Taco Bell was definitely mentioned as winning the fast food wars in the original UK cut because it made me make it the first place I ate when I went to Florida. But considering Taco Bell was US only at that time (I think all the UK ones had closed by then before their relaunch) it doesn’t surprise me there’s a different scene. It’s why Harold and Kumar was renamed outside the US.

Anyway I still think it’s a decent movie and hope the sequel explains the 3 sea shells

• Paid Members

Watched Snowpiercer, having watched Parasite a couple of weeks ago. 

I really enjoyed it. I felt a bit sick during the first big fight scene due to the shaky camera, but I thought it was a great story. 

• Awards Moderator

Watched Palm Springs tonight. If you like time loop stories, this is a very good time loop story. Strikes the right tone all the way through, has some beautiful shots, and Cristin Milioti is excellent. If you have the ability to see stuff that’s on Hulu in the US, I recommend it.

17 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Taco Bell was definitely mentioned as winning the fast food wars in the original UK cut because it made me make it the first place I ate when I went to Florida. But considering Taco Bell was US only at that time (I think all the UK ones had closed by then before their relaunch) it doesn’t surprise me there’s a different scene. It’s why Harold and Kumar was renamed outside the US.

There's two versions. The original is Taco Bell, even in the cut the rest of the world got, despite us not having Taco Bell til fairly recently. If I remember rightly there was a falling out between the studio and Taco Bell so they dubbed over it and changed the signs on the building when Stallone and Bullock arrive at the restaurant but the Taco Bell logos are still on the door handles when they walk inside.

Misery. It feels more like a play than a film and James Caan and Kathy Bates are both fantastic. Bloody loved it.

10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Watched Palm Springs tonight. If you like time loop stories, this is a very good time loop story. Strikes the right tone all the way through, has some beautiful shots, and Cristin Milioti is excellent. If you have the ability to see stuff that’s on Hulu in the US, I recommend it.

Samberg! Actually the main reason I'd probably watch it are JK Simmons and Peter Gallagher - are they in it much?

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Samberg! Actually the main reason I'd probably watch it are JK Simmons and Peter Gallagher - are they in it much?

Simmons is in it more than Gallagher, he’s got his own subplot tied to the main one (without giving too much away). An excellent white suit and hat combo as well.

Gallagher is peripheral but he does have one absolutely brilliant moment you might not see coming.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

There's two versions. The original is Taco Bell, even in the cut the rest of the world got, despite us not having Taco Bell til fairly recently. If I remember rightly there was a falling out between the studio and Taco Bell so they dubbed over it and changed the signs on the building when Stallone and Bullock arrive at the restaurant but the Taco Bell logos are still on the door handles when they walk inside.

I was under the impression that they share the same parent company and it made more sense to use Pizza Hut for the European Market. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Looks like I've mis-remembered, done a Google and it's the European market thing. Although on the VHS we had as a kid it was still Taco Bell.

I've only ever seen the Taco Bell version, and got it on VHS almost immediately after it was released...

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I've only ever seen the Taco Bell version, and got it on VHS almost immediately after it was released...

I could be wrong but  I think the UK had the Taco Bell version at the very least at the rental stage as that's the one I'd rent constantly. I think the Pizza Hut version was in the rest of Europe. Strange we didn't get that though.

• Paid Members
On 7/11/2020 at 11:42 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Weekend At Bernies - first time watch of this 80's classic, really enjoyed it. Was cracking up at the amount of times the titular Bernie's corpse was getting banged up, washed up or covered up as the film went on. May need to track down the sequel now

From what I remember, the sequel was mostly shit. A combination of left over, not-funny-enough gags from the first one shoehorned into new ideas that are too stupid for you to suspend disbelief. 
Classic case of chucking a sequel out for the sake of it, with no consideration of quality.

• Paid Members

Pride (2014)

Watched this last night and absolutely bloody loved it. It's about the Gay & Lesbians Support The Miners group during the miners' strike, and it's really well done. Imelda Staunton, Dominic West, Bill Nighy and Paddy Considine all excellent throughout, as you'd expect. 

The "Pits And Perverts" T-shirt is one of my favourite shirt designs ever and I really want one now.

On 7/12/2020 at 10:35 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

Just thought I’d second this recommendation. I do love a good time loop story and it actually has a semi satisfying conclusion that isn’t “it’s just magic innit”. The How I met Your Mother  mother is really good and Samberg is great at what he does which is probably being the most likeable comedy actor around.

Not quite up there with Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow as beat in class but sitting comfortably alongside Triangle in the upper mid card.