VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Blade Runner 2049 (Prime)

Watched the lovely 4K version of this on Prime so I could regret all over again not seeing it in IMAX. An instant masterpiece. Why am I not seeing Sylvia Hoeks in more films yet?

EDIT - Oh hello! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8081094/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

Enchanted April (YouTube)

Like all period dramas, amazingly boring and Josie Lawrence really should have stuck to Whose Line is it Anyway?

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Saint (Netflix)

Fucking crap. Val Kilmer is almost always rubbish but even he's not to blame for how boring this is.

The Hunger (Prime rental)

Not one of Tony Scott's best but still decent and stylish throughout with some great performances. I still miss Tony Scott.

A Summer Tale (YouTube)

Imogen Stubbs gets them out. There's absolutely no other reason to watch this.

• Paid Members

Had a proper shit day so....

The Fugitive (Prime rental)

One of the best films of the 1990s. Intelligent, well acted, great action scenes, superb plot, perfectly cast. Just an absolute pleasure every one of the thousands of times I've seen it.

• Paid Members
On 8/7/2020 at 8:14 PM, Keith Houchen said:

One for @bAzTNM#1 there!

A Sylvia Kristel biopic probably would be very good. She had an extremely sad life involving famous men (Ian McShane was one of them!) conning her out of all her money, drugs, going all the way to actual street prostitution in the late 80s, before she had a minor resurgence in the mid 90s then she died of Cancer.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

A Sylvia Kristel biopic probably would be very good. She had an extremely sad life involving famous men (Ian McShane was one of them!) conning her out of all her money, drugs, going all the way to actual street prostitution in the late 80s, before she had a minor resurgence in the mid 90s then she died of Cancer.

Fucking Spoilers dude!

☺️

• Paid Members

Host (Shudder)

If this hadn't been made during the Covid, nobody would care. It's just another found footage film, albeit over Zoom. I get people being nice because of the restrictions it was filmed under, but that doesn't mean it's good.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (nefarious means)

The only other Peter Greenaway film I'd seen was The Baby of Macon and it was horrible. This is brilliant though - although still horrible but in a positive way this time. Michael Gambon is an absolute gem, and the ending is truly one of the greatest.

Career Girls (Prime rental)

Another Mike Leigh masterclass. There's nobody better at being able to explore how humans can air issues without resorting to the usual cinematic fall-outs. Beautifully written.

• Paid Members

So, after clearing out my dads’ house, I found an immerciful amount of Beatles memorabilia and vinyl etc, and after rejecting them for years, for no other reason than “my parents like them, so I shouldn’t” I finally get it now. I really do.
So, following my falling down a proverbial rabbit hole, I went on a Beatles movie binge:

Backbeat – It’s really quite all over the place and quite a shite movie. It really feels like a Beatles movie made for the Grunge generation. I didn’t like it when I saw it in the flicks (my girlfriend at the time had a thing for Dorff and I was mildly intrigued by the Grunge ‘supergroup’ over the top of the soundtrack and that's why we went to see it) and I don’t like it now. There’s a great basis for a good movie in there somewhere - and I enjoyed Ian Hart as Lennon, even though he looked 48 - but this fell wide of the mark.

Lennon Naked – I like Christopher Eccleston, but my word, his accent was so OTT. Horrendous. Even the missus said “I actually can’t listen to him speak anymore.” And surely they could have gotten someone younger to play Lennon in the flashback scenes. The B&W, I’m sure was made to null the fact Eccleston was nearly 50, but it made him look even older. The film itself was a bit of a chore and everyone overacted to all bollocks, but in saying that, I quite enjoyed Andrew Scott making McCartney sound like when your old Walkman was running out of batteries.

Nowhere Boy – I actually really like this movie. Great performances all around and I was genuinely heartbroken throughout the final third, which is a credit to all involved. What’s jarring is the genetic makeup of Aaron Taylor Johnson. He’s a physical specimen.

Two of Us – Now this, I absolutely adored. It was such a lovely, lovely movie. It’s kind of cheesy at points, but there were some magic moments between Harris and Quinn that just made the film so enjoyable. It’s kind of like if Lennon and McCartney were thrun into an episode of Friends. I was completely immersed and I laughed and frowned and I was devastated when it finished. Also, there were moments – angles and frames – where both actors were the absolute spits of their counterparts. Particularly the scene where Quinn is doodling on Piano and Harris is sitting at the window looking out.

So, in conclusion, Harris was easily the best Lennon, Quinn the best McCartney and Naoko Mori looks fantastic in the nip.

Finally got round to watching the Departed.

Nicholson and  Di caprio are on top tier form in this film really enjoyed the back and forth with the rats, Damon really lets it down for me though never been his biggest fan and the end with the rat walking along the railing is just far to on the nose for me.

solid 7/10

• Paid Members

East is East (nefarious means)

I was really enjoying this culture clash comedy about a mixed race family in 1970s Manchester until it decided to be utterly cruel and depressing for its second half. Nope.

The Debt Collector (1999) (nefarious means are the only way you can find this)

This got some attention when it was released for featuring Billy Connolly in a dramatic role. But there's far more to it than that - Connolly is great, but Ken Stott as an obsessed cop is even better. Wasn't expecting much from this and while it's relentlessly bleak and violent, it's one of the best I've seen for ages.

• Paid Members
On 8/17/2020 at 9:57 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (nefarious means)

The only other Peter Greenaway film I'd seen was The Baby of Macon and it was horrible. This is brilliant though - although still horrible but in a positive way this time. Michael Gambon is an absolute gem, and the ending is truly one of the greatest.

Peter Greenaway is such a massive blind spot for me. My dad worked in Ritz Video when I was a kid, and I think Greenaway and Hitchcock were the only directors' videos he ever actually bought rather than always renting, and he used to bang on about him - and this film in particular - to anyone who would listen.

Haven't heard him talk about him for years now, but that might have to be my next project to make my way through his filmography.