VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I love demolition man but it can't just be me that considers its plot generally a bit thin. 

Having not seen it in a few years I can still remember nearly every scene of that film but couldn't tell you why evil future dude has gone to all the trouble of using snipes to kill someone because it ultimately wasn't that important to enjoying the film or the continuing Spartan & Phoenix showdowns in a fish out of water world. 

It's also got a gorgeous Sandra Bullock talking about licking ass, so that's a +1.

By memorable I probably should have said memorable and simple. I mean the plot is that two badasses get frozen and wake up in the future and all hell breaks loose. Memorable and simple.

Edit - It's why John Wick worked so well. Guy loses wife, gets dog, bad guys kill dog, all hell breaks loose. Action movies are at there best when they don't get bogged down.

Edited by DEF

The Old Guard 

Oh, fuck off Netlix.

The Adventures of Tintin

I really loved this when it was released as a big fan of the books and TV show growing up and it was just as wonderful watching it again, and success, in that my youngest now wants to read some Tintin.

• Awards Moderator

I've bladdered the films over the last week or so. Can't be arsed with big reviews so I'll keep it short:

Into the Wild
One of my top five of all time. I fucking love it. I'd love to do what he did. Fuck off to Alaska, I mean, not, you know.

Speed
Nice action.

Failure to Launch
Sarah Jessica Parker, Zooey Deschanel, Bradley thingie and Matthew McConaughey in a rom-com that is possibly the most predictable film I've ever, ever seen. The dialogue is abysmal, it's film-by-numbers and the end was clearly written by a twelve year old. I fucking loved it. LOVED it.

Across the Universe
One of the films I go to when I want a bit of melancholy. Reminds me of travelling. Ace.

Romancing the Stone
Silly, carefree fun. Great stuff. DeVito is the man.

Jumanji: the Next Level
At times it felt like Karen Gillan was the lead in this, not our mate Dwayne. Super fun. DJ's DeVito impression is sometimes shite, sometimes great.

War of the Worlds
A great film. A GREAT film. Tim Robbins is terrifyingly good, but I reckon I'd have thrown Dakota Fanning out the window halfway up the American motorway if I was Cruise. Shut up.

The 40-year Old Virgin
Absolute crap.

The Hollars
Wasn't expecting much from this but is was bloody lovely. Twee, yes, but lovely all the same. 

Sidewalks of New York
Stanley Tucci is such a prick in this, it has to be seen to be believed. The lad with the guitar goes from worrying weirdo to lovely bloke. Brittany Murphy steals the show. She is incredible in it.

Also watched the Jurassic Park films, but we know how they go (1,2,4,3,5).

Edited by Frankie Crisp

52 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Into the Wild
One of my top five of all time. I fucking love it. I'd love to do what he did. Fuck off to Alaska, I mean, not, you know.

This popped up on one of Kermode and Mayo’s lists on their show that I was listening to today so it’s funny it’s popped up here unless you heard it too and that’s why you rewatched it.

I really liked it but was utterly gutted at the ending. Emile Hirsch looked like he was going to have a big career after this plus the really good Girl Next Door feat. Olyphantastic but looks to have ducked under the radar.

It had me thinking of the young (at the time)poster who used to love it and would go on about it all the time but couldn’t for the life of me remember his username. 

Not sure what my point is other than to ask if anyone remembers who that poster was. Didn’t realise Sean Penn directed it either.

Edited by Mr_Danger

The Way Back
As far as Affleck films about grieving fathers failing to move on from tragedy go it’s second to Manchester by the Sea but I’m a sucker for sports movies and Big Ben is on great form in this. Fuck those catholic’s.

• Paid Members

Ong Bak (nefarious means)

I haven't seen enough Tony Jaa films but there's no way any of his others are going to match this. Just a madhouse of brilliant fight scenes, a superb market district foot chase, and even a Tuk Tuk chase. Fucking magnificent.

Distant Voices, Still Lives (Prime rental)

One of the greatest British films of the last 40 years. Even Ma Boswell popping up to give us a song couldn't weigh it down. Heartbreaking and absolutely beautiful.

Time Bandits (recorded off Film4)

Easily Terry Gilliam's best ever film. I'm not a fan of his and even this has its major faults but a ton of funny performances really make it.

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Ong Bak (nefarious means)

I haven't seen enough Tony Jaa films but there's no way any of his others are going to match this. Just a madhouse of brilliant fight scenes, a superb market district foot chase, and even a Tuk Tuk chase. Fucking magnificent.

Warrior King (also called The Protector) is really worth watching as well if you liked Ong Bak. They are Tony Jaa's two best films.

Watched 4 films that I'd recently bought today

Thunderbirds Are Go - The first attempt to bring the Tracy Family and IR to the big screen, feels like an extended episode but a lot of fun. There's a feature on the Bluray that wasn't on any of the DVD releases of the film that I found interesting, some test footage of The Shadows performing Shooting Star from multiple angles to get the motions right for the scene in the movie when the marionette versions perform the same track for a dream sequence

Thunderbird 6 - Released 2 years after TAG and again feels more like an extended episode rather than a big screen feature but again a lot of fun

The Haunted Palace - A Roger Corman adaptation of an Edgar Allen Poe work starring one of my all time favorite horror actors, Vincent Price, who naturally ham it up in his own unique style as the villain of the film. Very dark but entertaining

Weekend At Bernies - first time watch of this 80's classic, really enjoyed it. Was cracking up at the amount of times the titular Bernie's corpse was getting banged up, washed up or covered up as the film went on. May need to track down the sequel now

A few over weekend 

Rambo:Last Blood (Prime) 

Was alright, not what expected and some jarring Rambo character changes. 

The Limey (Prime) 

Introduced the other half, still. awesome. 

The Old Guard (Netflix) 

Wanted, rehashed. Difficult to take a film seriously when it uses locations used in Hustle and the Bill... 

Bloodsport (Netflix) 

Paco won :)

Yeah, I wish 

Redcon1 (Netflix) 

I'm in it, so that's always fun. Kungfu Zombies. Barrowlands as London. Dr Oetker Factory in Leyland among other locales. Daft, zero budget and worth the time and effort spent on it. 

• Paid Members
On 7/11/2020 at 12:19 AM, SuperBacon said:

The Old Guard 

Oh, fuck off Netlix.

The Adventures of Tintin

I really loved this when it was released as a big fan of the books and TV show growing up and it was just as wonderful watching it again, and success, in that my youngest now wants to read some Tintin.

A surprising amount have at the very lewst quite racist undertone or references so from experience give them a scan before you read them to your kid. 

On 7/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, Tommy! said:

I love demolition man but it can't just be me that considers its plot generally a bit thin. 

Having not seen it in a few years I can still remember nearly every scene of that film but couldn't tell you why evil future dude has gone to all the trouble of using snipes to kill someone because it ultimately wasn't that important to enjoying the film or the continuing Spartan & Phoenix showdowns in a fish out of water world. 

It's also got a gorgeous Sandra Bullock talking about licking ass, so that's a +1.

It was on TCM the other day and instead of Taco Bell they had dinner at Pizza Hut! Seems like it’s a UK thing, apparently Brits don’t know what Taco Bell is.