VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Off topic, but talking of Partridge

Someone on here recommended the Instagram account of a guy who plays dance music in his house whilst wearing a dressing gown. He showed up on my feed, I followed, and to my utter joy he’s a mini partridge 

Hopefully this link works, this is one of my favourite reels, pure Partridge

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6BApvIoa9g/?igsh=MTQ1aTZtcnNzeGkwaA==

Edited by waters44

• Paid Members

Abigail was pretty fun. A little long I thought pacing wise, but Dan Stevens chewing up scenery, Kathryn Newton and Kevin Durand bringing some laughs and Melissa Barrera having fun. Alisha Weir is fantastic, that's three great film performances she's had now, a right little star. Reminded me of Ready or Not at times, no surprise as it's the same directors. 

I also saw Abigail over the weekend. Took it's time to get going but when it did I had great fun. Some laugh out loud parts, tense in places and didn't rely too heavily on jump scares. There were genuinely a couple of moments towards the end where I had to stop myself from clapping because the payoffs were so good. Kevin Durand as the big lummox who screams like a girl was a highlight, to the point where I was missing his character when he wasn't on screen. I made the same comparison to Ready or Not when we left the cinema, mainly the bits with the big gore explosions.

Kevin Durand is one of those actors who I’m always pleased to see and it’s mainly because he was great in Lost. The only exception to this is when I thought he was on The Big Bang Theory and his acting was really shit but it was actually Elon Musk playing himself and I had no idea who that was at the time. A better time.

The Babadook. Been meaning to watch this for ages and finally got round to it. Enjoyed it overall. Some bits made me feel genuinely uneasy, there's a real creepiness and the mum slowly losing it is unsettling but then at times it's a bit daft.  I can forgive the cheapness of some of effects because what they achieved on what looks to be a low budget is impressive, it's just the fact that they used a noise from the awesome Resident Evil 1 intro multiple times (3:30 on this video. Then stay for the voiceover lad saying BARRY BURTON)  took me out of the moment.

Edited by cobra_gordo
Spelling.

• Paid Members

Scoop - The interview part was very entertaining and the makeup effects on Sewell and Anderson are incredible, but when the original interview exists and is readily available, I'm not really sure we need a dramatization of it? It was decent enough, anyway.

Kong x Godzilla: The New Empire - This is such a weird, inconsistent franchise and this movie pretty much sums that up. Everything to do with Kong and/or Dan Stevens was wildly entertaining, everything to do with Rebecca Hall and her daughter was quite boring and I veered between entertained and bored from scene to scene. I love Brian Tyree Henry but his role in these movies makes my teeth itch, just the absolute worst 'comic relief'.

Spoiler

Godzilla suplexes Kong so it's fantastic obviously.

That's all I managed to catch this week. Had that Really Bad Shits bug going around so the only thing I've been watching is the bathroom wall. Hoping to finally catch Immaculate and a few others next week!

It Follows. Another one I've been meaning to watch for ages. Watched this directly after The Babadook and had a much better time. This looks great for something so simple and low budget, it's creepy, it's got a great concept and had me pointing at the screen and shouting "FOR FUCKS SAKE DON'T GO IN THERE" out loud a couple of times. 

Imaginary. Absolute dross. 

27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Gave High Fidelity a rewatch and didn’t realise how much of a dickhead Rob is. The biggest wanker in Chicago

He always was. In the book and the film, which just goes to show how good Cusacks performance is, as you STILL root for him.

A COSBYYYYYY SWEEEEAAAAATERRRR

Nah I wasn’t rooting for him, hoped he was ridden with patchouli stink for the rest of his life. 

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

A COSBYYYYYY SWEEEEAAAAATERRRR

Which brought up the conundrum, when seeing the singer cover Peter Fucking Frampton, why didn’t Barry say “Oi Rob, give her dad his sweater back”

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

It Follows. Another one I've been meaning to watch for ages. Watched this directly after The Babadook and had a much better time. This looks great for something so simple and low budget, it's creepy, it's got a great concept and had me pointing at the screen and shouting "FOR FUCKS SAKE DON'T GO IN THERE" out loud a couple of times. 

The sequel is due to start filming this summer, lads. Same director and Maika Monroe returns, too.

• Paid Members

Civil War (cinema)

I enjoyed it despite huge apprehension about it. Sticks its muddled politics in the background to a really well told story about photojournalists and some excellent action scenes. Cailee Spaeny is brilliant, and this is Kirsten Dunst's best work outside of Fargo for a decade.

Abigail (cinema)

A great laugh. Not *quite* as good as Ready or Not but very, very close. Dan Stevens is absolutely ace in everything and you never know where he's going to appear next. Kevin Durand the clear MVP though.

Kung Fu Panda 4 (cinema)

I haven't seen the first three. It didn't seem to matter. It was quite funny. Jack Black's cover of Baby One More Time the highlight.

Summer Time Machine Blues (Prime)

Japanese time-travel comedy from the same guy who wrote the similar Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes and River, which I also think are on Prime. They're all really funny, silly and feelgood films and this one is especially so.

Solarbabies

Alexei Sayle does pop in at some point and is very funny, otherwise it's too daft for its own good. Full marks for effort but I was quite bored.

Looper

Yeah, this is still great. Reminder that Rian Johnson still has a 100% record. 

Death Race (2008)

One of the very few Jason Stathams I hadn't watched mainly because it was directed Paul WS Anderson. It's fun though, especially during the ridiculously long race scenes. Reminder that Jason Statham got good films out of Ben Wheatley and Paul WS Anderson. He's my hero.

Miracle Mile

God this is fucking great. I can see why it tanked on release because how the fuck do you market this? It's a romcom and then it's a nuclear apocalypse thriller. One of the most underrated American films of the 1980s.

Extraterrestrial (2011) (Prime)

Enjoyable alien invasion comedy from the guy who made Timecrimes (another great time travel / loop film). Not at all what I expected but better for it.

Journey to the West

Brilliant Chinese mockumentary about an obsessed UFO investigator. Surprised this isn't better known considering how well received it was in its home country. Lovely stuff.

Ikarie XB 1 (YouTube)

Extremely influential Czechoslovakian sci-fi film. Looks incredible, an obvious turning point for the genre once Hollywood saw it. Largely unknown but it shouldn't be.

• Paid Members

All At Sea (AKA Barnacle Bill).

Ealing comedy with Sir Alec Guinness as a naval captain who develops chronic sea sickness, and so buys a pier and runs it like a ship instead. 

It's all very daft, and so wonderfully British, with Guinness as the straight man while the environment provides the gags. Lovely stuff.