VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

The Killer. 

Really really enjoyed it. The Fass is a brilliant actor and I think his resemblance to later years Scott Walker added to the performance. I really enjoyed the monotony of the job, something you don’t often see in films involving assassins. 4 broken noses out of 5. 

On 4/18/2024 at 8:03 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

One of the greatest American films of all time by one of the greatest American directors.

I just checked out his filmography and I'd completely forgotten that he directed Dog Day Afternoon which I loved and thought was excellent with an outstanding performance by Pacino.  The other two of his that I've seen are Serpico, which featured another tour de force performance from Pacino and is another fantastic film, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, which I think I watched after seeing a review on YouTube and again really enjoyed.  So four for four from Lumet with two absolute all-timers.  I tried to watch The Offence, possibly after seeing a post by yourself, but wasn't in the right frame of mind for it at the time.  Will definitely get back to it at some point.

A few recent watches:

The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper (1981)
A fictional account of what happened to D.B. Cooper after he parachuted from Flight 305 somewhere over Washington in 1971. It’s safe to say that whatever did happen to Cooper, it isn’t what was depicted in this. Feels like a missed opportunity. Disappointing.

The Freshman (1925) (YouTube)
Set to start at Tate University, Harold Lamb has visions of being the most popular student on campus, but on arrival quickly becomes the butt of everyone's jokes. The film was quite funny although there was nothing about Harold Lloyd that grabbed me like Chaplin or, especially, Keaton did.

Blinded by the Light (2019) (BBC iPlayer)
Set in 1987, a teenage Pakistani migrant living in England and with dreams of being a writer finds inspiration in the songs of Bruce Springsteen. A fairly predictable and clichéd coming of age story. Perfectly watchable but nothing special and the musical numbers are cringeworthy.

Scoop (2024)
How BBC Newsnight secured their infamous 2019 interview with Prince Andrew. Having never seen the original interview, I found the second half of this gripping and it saved the movie for me. Gillian Anderson’s resemblance, the mannerisms, the voice etc. to Emily Maitlis was remarkable.

Frantic (1988)
Whilst visiting Paris for a medical convention, Dr. Richard Walker’s wife suddenly vanishes from their hotel room and so begins a search throughout the City to find out what’s happened to her. I did like this but not sure it needed to be two hours and I feel the story could’ve been comfortably told in ninety minutes.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I just checked out his filmography and I'd completely forgotten that he directed Dog Day Afternoon which I loved and thought was excellent with an outstanding performance by Pacino.  The other two of his that I've seen are Serpico, which featured another tour de force performance from Pacino and is another fantastic film, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, which I think I watched after seeing a review on YouTube and again really enjoyed.  So four for four from Lumet with two absolute all-timers.  I tried to watch The Offence, possibly after seeing a post by yourself, but wasn't in the right frame of mind for it at the time.  Will definitely get back to it at some point.

The Offence is one of his very best but, like with many of his films, you need to be in the mood for it. The Pawnbroker especially. The Hill, Fail Safe, Running on Empty, Equus and The Verdict are all absolute must sees too. Several others are good value. You rarely go wrong with him.

• Paid Members

I realised the other day I've never seen the Beverly Hills Cop films so with them all being on Netflix I gave them a whirl.

Beverly Hills Cop

Brilliant, loved it. Good action, really funny and the cast are all spot on. Ronny Cox shows up which is always a bonus, and Eddie Murphy is on top form. Steven Berkoff is a great bad guy and being backed up by Jonathan Banks is a good combo. Love the dynamic of the main cast, everyone stands out.
Obviously the theme song is a banger and they do really well interlacing different versions of it through the film. Enjoyed it so much I've watched it three times in a week while I've been working from home.

Beverly Hills Cop 2

Not as good but still decent. The plot is a bit overcomplicated for it's own good, too many moving parts. The first one worked well because it was clear who the bad guy was from the start and Foley just went after him relentlessly. This one tries twists and turns and loses a lot of the charm and humour along the way.

As Inspector Todd says "Don't think, Axel. It makes my dick itch".

Beverly Hills Cop 3

This one apparently got panned but I'd say it's as good if not slightly better than 2. It's got some of that humour back and the theme park setting makes a nice change.

On the whole I would say they were all good, the first one especially. 2 and 3 don't live up to that quality but they both have a few bits going for them in their own rights. Easy films to just put on and not think too much about.

19 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

The Freshman (1925) (YouTube)
Set to start at Tate University, Harold Lamb has visions of being the most popular student on campus, but on arrival quickly becomes the butt of everyone's jokes. The film was quite funny although there was nothing about Harold Lloyd that grabbed me like Chaplin or, especially, Keaton did.

I'm a big fan of Lloyd due mostly to BBC2 showing complations back in the early 1980s.

I can't recommend Safety Last highly enough. One of the all-time great comedies.

Shout out for The Kid Brother as well that features cinema's first vertical tracking shot.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FLips said:

I realised the other day I've never seen the Beverly Hills Cop films so with them all being on Netflix I gave them a whirl.

Beverly Hills Cop

Brilliant, loved it. Good action, really funny and the cast are all spot on. Ronny Cox shows up which is always a bonus, and Eddie Murphy is on top form. Steven Berkoff is a great bad guy and being backed up by Jonathan Banks is a good combo. Love the dynamic of the main cast, everyone stands out.
Obviously the theme song is a banger and they do really well interlacing different versions of it through the film. Enjoyed it so much I've watched it three times in a week while I've been working from home.

My brother and I were in Canada last September. We hired a camper and travelled around a bit, but on our first and last night in Montreal, we stayed in a hostel. I'm fairly aged out for staying in hostels and kind of stand out. He's 4 years younger and blended in a bit more. Anyway, we fucked our bags in the room went out for dinner and on the way past the girl in the lobby, she told us if we were back in an hour, it was 5 dollar pints. Of course, back we came. So, two men from Tayto land started propping up the bar until happy hour no longer existed. 

We were shortly joined by a couple of girls from Holland and a younger guy from Germany. Then three Indian fellas turned up and we got them to pull up a pew and join the craic. There was the "bluffer" that told me he spoke 14 languages, was living in Dubai and moved to Canada recently. I forget where he said he was originally from because it was all nonsense, but he said he had been in the Navy in the U.S, and showed me his phone screen saver of a military headshot photo, with his head clearly transposed onto some other veterans body. He had a tonne of businesses apparently, but when he tried to pay for his 5 dollar pints he had to run through three cards before paying with a bill. All flash, no cash. 

The bartender, shockingly, was a french Canadian woman. A couple of English girls appeared. It was decided that we were all going to a local Karaoke bar, and everyone, bartender/hostel desk woman had to come too. Before we left though, a quiet Italian guy of about 25, reluctantly, pulled up a stool. 

The brother and I just looked at each other, back at Mr. Italy, back at each other, then turned to him again with a hearty greeting of "SERGE!" We were hoping for "Get the fuck outta here!" to come back from Serge, but no dice. Steve and I were adamant this man's name was not Vincenzo as he claimed, but that he was, in fact, Serge. Never has somebody looked more alike another person. 

Unfortunately, Serge didn't get the memo why he was famous. He hadn't the faintest notion what we were on about. Neither did anyone else. So out the phone came, videos of Ahmed Foley and Serge, and it was clear this room had a different upbringing than the pair of us. Anyway, Serge came out kicking and screaming to the karaoke place, which was absolutely booming and one of the best nights craic I've had in many's a year. Despite having no words, the theme song was requested. I thought this was it, we're going to prove it to Serge that everyone else in this bar knows who he is and gets him a big cheer. 

I was so disappointed when the night ended and our request didn't make it through the list in time, but really it probably was headed for Steve and myself being the only two people in a room in Montreal, with about 300 people in it, that had any clue what the song, Beverley Hills Cop, or our man Serge were even supposed to be. I think we were saved the crickets and fuck tonne of embarrassment in the end up. Serge along with everyone else ended up having a good night, and he passed over the Espresso with a Lemon Twist for a few pints of Moretti when all was said and done. 

That long winded explanation came to me @FLips as I was thinking how you couldn't have watched those movies until now, and then the "Oh. Yeah" Kicked in. 

Turns out, despite my best efforts, nobody on the Eastern side of Canada has heard of Bret Hart either, and they are all backwoods, inbred, Shawn Michaels fans. Who knew. 

Two Irish fellas standing on stage with a reluctant Italian stranger going “duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh- duh-duh-duh duh-duh-duh-duh duhhhhhhhhhh” would have been a sight to behold. You can understand why it was passed over like.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, gmoney said:

And of course, The Wiz. 

Forgot about Network as well!

The Anderson Tapes, Guilty as Sin and Find Me Guilty are good too. Although the latter does feature Vin Diesel with hair so it's disturbing.

Dune 2

Went to see this yesterday at the Everyman.  I know everyone talked about it extensively a month ago, so I'll just say I thought it was better than the first one, absolutely brilliant in places, but I just struggle with the "constant music, now it's briefly quiet, NOW REALLY REALLY LOUD" aesthetic that Villeneuve seems to like.  He and Zimmer are made for each other, and on a technical level I admire it but find it a hugely draining experience over 2 1/2 hours.  It was so loud, I got curious and got out my SPL meter during the credits - the music on its own during the credits hit 90 dB.  That's above the level that's considered harmful over an extended period.  Too loud, in my professional opinion.

Beautiful film though and I thought Austin Butler and Florence Pugh were good additions to the casting of the story.

One thing that did strike me.  Dave Batista really is head and shoulders above every other wrestler who's tried to crack the movies, isn't he?  The Rock may have made more money but Batista has had the better parts, been in some of the largest franchise films of the last decade, and is a properly good actor.   Even in less good films, like Army Of The Dead or Bushwick, he's worth watching.  Great rewards for hard work, hats off to him.