VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I was bored from pretty much the start.

Your thoughts on Poor Things is how I felt about Priscilla. I thought it was dreadful. The main actors were good. It felt like it was never going to end.  

Miss Congeniality - Sandy B deserves better than Benjamin Bratt. Up there with Dominic Cooper (more on him in a bit) as actors who inexplicably annoy me with their presence. 3/5

Jaws - 5/5, it’s Jaws innit.

The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad (first watch) - not as entertaining as the other Sinbad films or Jason & The Argonauts. The stop motion creatures are great as always though. 2/5

Asteroid City (first watch) - congratulations to The French Dispatch, you are no longer my least favourite Wes Anderson film. So disappointed in this. 2/5

Don’t Worry Darling (first watch) - I seem to recall this getting panned when it came out, so I was pleasantly surprised with it. Florence Pugh was great, Harry Styles was…there. Not the film I was expecting at all. 3/5

Mamma Mia! (first watch) - right, so first off I like musicals. And yes, Pierce Brosnan probably shouldn’t sing again. There are times when the film seems quite amateurish and that goddamn Dominic Cooper stinks up the place…but…but but but…I really liked this. Not just for the lovely Christine Baranski either. 4/5. Yep. 4/5. No further comments.

The Fugitive - Cracking film. 5/5

Scream (first watch) - the 2022 stupidly titled one. It’s better than 4 at least. Deputy Doofy gets stabbed again. 2/5

Honey I Shrunk The Kids/Honey I Blew Up The Kid - both films I watched a lot as a non-shrunken/non-blown up kid. Still enjoyable, makes me miss Rick Moranis on screen. Though I did find out afterwards that he’s making a sequel, Shrunk, with…urgh, Josh Gad. Swings and roundabouts. 3/5

The Lego Movie - I am insanely jealous of the Dad’s Lego basement. It’s all I want from life. 4/5

Final Destination - still holds up 24 years later (fuck me, I’m old). The deaths aren’t as batshit as they become in later instalments and I hope Tony Todd is the mortuary assistant when I die. 4/5

Don’t Worry Darling is an absolutely average film that for the talent and budget involved fails miserably at doing anything new or interesting with the Stepford Wives story. Professional milf hunter Harry Styles is shit. 

On 3/29/2024 at 3:03 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Godzilla x Kong contains 

Hide contents

A vertical suplex between the two and Trevor from Eastenders

And that’s the only positives I have. Woeful.

I gave up on King of Monsters around halfway through. Just soulless slop.

Skull Island was fun, though. 

• Paid Members

Godzilla × Kong: The New Empire (cinema)

Fine. Completely lacking in anything memorable or distinguishable but a just above average time, so I'll take it. Also, pixie cut Rebecca Hall.

Exhuma (cinema)

Completely and totally mad Korean modern day folk horror film. It's half an hour too long but the first half of it especially is fantastic. A great surprise.

Running Scared (1986)

They don't pay me no mooooore.

Molli and Max in the Future

Cute sci-fi romcom, one for the When Harry Met Sally lovers out there. Not sure if the sci-fi elements add much but I really like Zosia Mamet and I liked this quite a bit.

The Blackening

Pretty crap. Doesn't work as a comedy or a horror film. What did people expect from Tim Story anyway, he fucking blows.

Bend It Like Beckham (Film 4)

Fine, I guess. I'd seen all the best bits before (pixie cut Keira Knightley in football shorts) so this didn't feel essential.

Convoy

Sam Peckinpah does Smokey and the Bandit and does it really well! Far funnier than I was expecting, a great diner brawl and some excellent road smashes. Very my thing.

Arrival (Netflix)

Still really, really good, this. In danger of becoming Villeneuve's forgotten sci-fi film but it's better than both Dune films, as good as they are.

• Awards Moderator
On 3/29/2024 at 3:03 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Godzilla x Kong contains 

Reveal hidden contents

A vertical suplex between the two and Trevor from Eastenders

And that’s the only positives I have. Woeful.

Now now….

Spoiler

It also had Godzilla curling up like a little cat for a nice sleep in the Colosseum.

But yeah. Absolute nonsense. I had fun but it’s not good.

CLANG CLANG CLANG (just for @PunkStep) but around the time of that film and a few years before, Keira would frequent the same friend circles and house parties as me (can't ever remember talking to her tbh) but her first "boyfriend" sold his story to a paper and we mercilessly bullied him about it for years.

It was deserved in my opinion. 

The Fly

Always enjoyed this. First time watching it for a while and it's still really enjoyable. Proper 80s with some great special effects. Had forgotten about some of the gory bits and they got me with them. Jeff Goldblum is class in it. 

Emily the Criminal

This was decent. Not amazing or anything but very watchable and at times very intense. Aubrey Plaza carries it. You can sort of tell the script was conceived as a student's thesis, but it's well made and everything. 

Last Night in Soho

Some of this worked for me, some of it didn't. Felt like it should have been a lot better than it was overall and didn't fully work. First half was a lot more interesting than the second.