VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Drive-Away Dolls (cinema)

Harmless. It doesn't all work and it overreaches at the end but I laughed a good few times and the cast were excellent. We should be making more daft 80 minute films, not discouraging them.

6 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Drive-Away Dolls - Somehow simultaneously better than most reviews suggest while also being quite disappointing. Perfect running time and some good jokes (the two enforcers are good comedy value), but I always expect a bit more from a Coen. 

Saw it last night - only two people in the screening, to boot - and this pretty much sums it up for me. 

Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Had a few funny moments. Couldn't have been arsed with two hours of it, glad it was done in 80.

Also read they're working on a second film in a loose 'lesbian trilogy', with Qualley, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Evans starring. 

15 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Road House (2024) A solid 3 star film that Connor McGregor is absolutely shit in. He’s the catalyst for both the action starting and the film becoming almost too cringey to watch. Terrible casting.

Agreed. Seems like a classic 'He's a name at the time lets cast him, oh no he's problematic and shit, oh he's really shit' casting.

Enjoyed the film though. Gyllenhall is a favourite of mine and he makes it work. Same charisma as Swayze.

15 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Poor Things - I'm not sure why, I had a suspicion I was going to hate this in a 'mother!'-esque way. Happy to report that I was wrong, I loved it. Emma Stone is terrific and Mark Ruffalo is funny as fuck. Great stuff.

I think Emma Stone really did pull off one of the all time performances. She's so good in it. Full deserving of the Oscar. Ruffalo's descent in the film is brilliantly funny.

• Paid Members

Went into the new Ghostbusters with low expectations and quite enjoyed it. Needed a film to turn the brain off and it did the trick. Nothing amazing but s’alrite. The family relationship bits are probably the worst bits. 

• Paid Members

Road House (Prime)

A great time! About as stupidly enjoyable as could reasonably be expected of this. Gyllenhaal superb in the lead, three of the world's most beautiful faces for the lads (Jessica Williams, Daniela Melchior, Billy Magnussen), and, I'm sad to report, Conor McGregor is very funny. I'll have another, thanks.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Watched Ghostbusters this morning for the 10am showing. I didn't mind it at all. Thought it was good in some parts, bit slow in others, but certainly not as bad as the critics are labelling it. I dont think I'll ever watch it again, but you dont even need to bring your brain with you to watch it. It flew by.

Bill Murray seems to be doing these Royal Rumble style legend appearances in these movies. Pops in, busts some ghosts and fucks off. He's basically Kevin Nash.

Best Dan Aykroyd performance since Celtic Pride in 1996.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed the last Ghostbusters to be fair, even the soppy ending which I think most hated. It wasn’t as good as the original one but I at least finished it which is more than I can say about the couple of times I’ve tried Ghostbusters 2.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Road House (Prime)

A great time! About as stupidly enjoyable as could reasonably be expected of this. Gyllenhaal superb in the lead, three of the world's most beautiful faces for the lads (Jessica Williams, Daniela Melchior, Billy Magnussen), and, I'm sad to report, Conor McGregor is very funny. I'll have another, thanks.

As massively charismatic as Gyllenhaal is (and I didn’t get on as well with McGregor being super McGregor as much as most) it doesn’t have a scene to match this one from the original.

spacer.png

It’s a shame it didn’t get a cinematic release and a bit of box office success though. Anything that gets The Edge of Tomorrow sequel going quicker would be great.

I enjoyed the latest Ghostbusters but my God did it take an age to get going. The half baked family melodrama needs to go if they want to do more of these.

Far too many characters but by far the best was Dan Ackroyd as Ray Stantz, a great performance which elavated the whole thing. 

Just seen James Acaster is in the new Ghostbusters film. Fair play, that's a superb gig.

No real desire to rush and watch it, despite loving the originals. 

Never arsed about reviews, but I did enjoy this from Mark Kermode (nothing spoilery)

• Paid Members

Maybe because the reviews were awful, but I had a lot of fun with Frozen Empire. They are trying to make Ghostbusters for a new generation, whilst keeping enough of the old guard in it to keep fans of the originals happy. I heard one bloke grumble that the film would have been better if the film didn’t have an agenda, “why does every film have an agenda?” he said to his poor suffering partner. which made me laugh louder than I should have done.

Acaster and Nanjiani were welcome additions to the cast. I’d be happy to see a 3rd if they turn down the family melodrama a smidge.