VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

For some reason I went into Unfrosted the same way as I went into Weird the Al Yankovic Story - expecting an amusing but at the same time pretty much accurate tale of the subject at hand. Much like Weird however it is complete batshit nonsense and really funny. I know it's got pretty bad reviews and people who don't like Seinfeld won't be won over by it but I had a blast watching it, It's definitely sponge worthy.

Challengers (cinema): enjoyed this. I didn’t find the characters very sympathetic, but I think their selfishness added to the realism. The relationship dynamics were interesting and there were some really funny bits. Overall, it was very well done and a nice change from the usual Hollywood schtick. 

I'm on a decent run this month already, three more starting with May from 2002 and I can see why it's become a cult classic over the past few years, a truly weird bit of horror that bombed both critically and financially at the time. As quirky and off-beat as it tries to be it's actually a pretty well done bit about loneliness and foretells the "femcel" trope that's found it's way into current internet culture. Also, Anna Farris as a constantly horny lesbian.. probably why Ebert was the only person to rate it full marks.

Oh boy, a return to the infamous Oldboy for the first time since watching the original DVD when it was released.. now that all the hype and the furor over that twist is long dead I actually found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. It's a film that soured in my mind over time but now I'd have it right next to Sympathy in the trilogy, I think it could be worth a re-visit for a few.

Fuck A.I. art in films, no matter the size and budget but I did really enjoy my bootleg copy of Late Night With the Devil as it hits that analogue fetish of mine just right, 4:3 and looking just like it came out of the era it's set in. Surprisingly funny and captures Satanic Panic just right, also no doubt inspired by the "lost media" craze going on today.

Unfrosted

Full disclosure, I love Jerry and always have) so have probably given this more leeway than most. Yes he's a dodgy nobhead, but I am sorry, I can't help it.

If you have ever seen Seinfeld, the humour/style/"acting" will be very familiar. At times it seems like one long episode, and he's just playing himself as always. 

One point Jerry is eating cereal and says "It's like you're drinking and eating at the same time" and if you can't imagine him saying this line in Monks cafe I dunno what to tell you.

He's made a film about pop tarts. If Jerry in the show ever had a "proper job" he'd have made this film for sure. Maybe he did pitch it to Russell Dalrymple (one for the fans there)

Will never watch again, but fun enough, and a cracking cast (Amy Schumer aside obviously. You've been warned) 6/10

Scott Pilgrim vs the World 

Eldest had never seen this, and wanted to as her band is covering the Metric song in it. A fun film, and we both love Michael Cera (I cannot wait to watch Superbad with her tbh) but it runs slightly too long and we both started switching off. 8/10

The Idea Of You

I have seen at least two films where Anne Hathaway gets cheated on, and this is just absolutely preposterous of course.

Anne, I'd even forgive that you're an Arsenal fan. I'd never cheat on you. 

This was fine. Anne is a 40yo divorced Mum who meets and starts a relationship with a 24yo boy band member, and all the troubles that come with that, the publicity, her daughter struggling, trolling etc.

Anne is always great (and a bit BONK! horny in this. Nice) and some of the boy band songs aren't bad, but again this goes too long and could've shaved half an hour off for sure. Was cute though and me and 14yo enjoyed it. 7/10

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Full disclosure, I love Jerry and always have) so have probably given this more leeway than most. Yes he's a dodgy nobhead, but I am sorry, I can't help it.

If you have ever seen Seinfeld, the humour/style/"acting" will be very familiar. At times it seems like one long episode, and he's just playing himself as always. 

One point Jerry is eating cereal and says "It's like you're drinking and eating at the same time" and if you can't imagine him saying this line in Monks cafe I dunno what to tell you.

He's made a film about pop tarts. If Jerry in the show ever had a "proper job" he'd have made this film for sure. Maybe he did pitch it to Russell Dalrymple (one for the fans there)

Will never watch again, but fun enough, and a cracking cast (Amy Schumer aside obviously. You've been warned) 6/10

Just watched this. Maybe it was my incredibly low expectations, or that I am procrastinating from some work I need to do this evening but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

The stacked cast doesn't hurt of course, enough novelty there keep it moving and push you through what is at its core a really stupid plot.

The once or twice I tried to watch Seinfeld I hated it but mysteriously I like Jerry from, of all things, Bee Movie, having been made to watch it multiple times with my kids when they were younger. The record being four times on the bounce as they were showing it on a loop in A&E when one of them was unwell one Boxing Day. Renee Zellweger gets romanced by a bee, lest we forget.

Anyway, Unfrosted. Really enjoyed it. Can't tell you how much I needed a daft film like that yesterday. It got a few big belly laughs from me. Whilst watching it we were saying it had an air of the new Wonka film, to the point that if Melissa McCarthy had burst out in to song I wouldn't have been surprised. Or disappointed.

Quick reviews.*

War Of The Worlds (2006) - the worst thing Spielberg ever did was not killing off the son. Little prick. 4/5

The Naked Gun - the world needs a new Leslie Nielsen. I nominate Ryan Gosling to dye his hair and only make daft comedies till the end of time. 4/5

The Virgin Suicides - hated it the first time I saw it. I’m still not a huge fan, but I can appreciate it a bit more with age. 3/5

Frozen - it’s no Tangled or Moana. 3/5

The Matrix - the best one. 5/5

The Matrix Reloaded - the second best one. 3/5

The Matrix Revolutions - the third best one. Barely scrapes a 3/5 for Agent Smith and the spooky Trainman. 

The Matrix Resurrections (first watch) -  the shouldn’t have been made one. Utterly pointless. Brings back characters nobody cared about (Frenchman and Niobe) and didn’t give us proper Morpheus. Cut your hair Keanu, you’re not John Wick in this one. 2/5

The Big Short (first watch) - I couldn’t give you a summary of the mortgage crisis after watching this, try though they did to dumb it down for idiots like me. Mortgages, much like American football rules, is a subject that I’ve never been able to comprehend. 3/5

How To Train Your Dragon - it’s no Shrek or Kung Fu Panda. 3/5

School Of Rock - not enough Joan Cusack. Surprised they never made a sequel. 4/5

The Hangover - fucking Ed Helms. I never want to see Bradley Cooper without long hair and a beard. Between The Hangover films and A Star Is Born, he may be my ultimate man crush. 3/5

The Hangover Part II/The Hangover Part III - terrible. The charm is gone, there’s far too much Mr Chow, Ed Helms is still there. Not even my man Brad’s epic hair can save the day. 2/5

Animal House - there’s no way D-Day was anything less than 43 years old. 4/5

All The President’s Men - phenomenal. Never has typing, phone calls and shadowy car park conversations been so gripping. Two of my favourite actors at the top of their game. 5/5

The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert (first watch) - amazing to see Hugo Weaving as something other than an elf, Nazi or computer program. Touching performance from Terrence Stamp. 3/5

The Beatles: Eight Days A Week (first watch) - didn’t really learn anything new, but I could watch them performing all day long. Only 6 days a week though. The rest of the time is for Bradley Cooper and Joan Cusack thinking time. 3/5

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days (first watch) - I haven’t seen Kate Hudson in anything for a while. It’s a shame as she’s really good at comedy and she’s so wonderful in this, especially in the scenes where’s she playing the nightmare girlfriend. Rest of the film is fluff though. 2/5

When Harry Met Sally - this is more like it. I can get past Billy Crystal looking older than D-Day in the opening scenes. Meg Ryan is just incredible, isn’t she? 4/5

Cars - the worst of Pixar. 2/5

The Mummy - the 1999 one. What a fun old romp. Maybe I’m being the old man yelling at clouds, but these sort of films seem very rare nowadays. A funny, big budget summer blockbuster with charismatic and preposterously good looking leads, where you can clearly hear the dialogue and there’s actual lighting used in darker scenes. No mumbly talking and murky visuals. Fucking hell, I’m actually pining for the days of Stephen Sommers films. 4/5

*Maybe not so quick. Thank you for your time. I’m off to write a Joan Cusack/Bradley Cooper rom-com for the ages.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

The Mummy - the 1999 one. What a fun old romp. Maybe I’m being the old man yelling at clouds, but these sort of films seem very rare nowadays. A funny, big budget summer blockbuster with charismatic and preposterously good looking leads, where you can clearly hear the dialogue and there’s actual lighting used in darker scenes. No mumbly talking and murky visuals. Fucking hell, I’m actually pining for the days of Stephen Sommers films. 4/5

It's not exactly the same kind of film, but I had similar feelings after recently rewatching Men in Black for the first time in an absolute age. Just a really entertaining, funny blockbuster that didn't take itself too seriously and was over and done with in 90 mins. Great family fun. 

I also happened to see Marathon Man for the first time in yonks and liked it for different reasons. The Hollywood New Wave/New Hollywood is my favourite era of filmmaking ever and, while this isn't a stone-cold classic or anything, it has a lot of the things in it that I love so much about that particular era.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Liam Neeson was rumoured to be starring in the new Naked Gun and it’s perfect casting if true. Won’t be the same without The Juice though.

He is, and I'm still convinced that someone just mixed up the names "Lesley Nielsen" and "Liam Neeson" in a pitch meeting and tried to style it out. Cody Rhodes is apparently in it, so maybe he's getting the OJ role.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SaitoRyo said:

I also happened to see Marathon Man for the first time in yonks and liked it for different reasons. The Hollywood New Wave/New Hollywood is my favourite era of filmmaking ever and, while this isn't a stone-cold classic or anything, it has a lot of the things in it that I love so much about that particular era.

You might be interested in this list:-

https://mubi.com/en/lists/disillusionment-in-sun-drenched-1970s-american-new-wave-cinema

Few years back I watched them all (or the ones I could find) and found so many good to great films. This movement is a huge favourite of mine too. Highly recommend diving into this list.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You might be interested in this list:-

https://mubi.com/en/lists/disillusionment-in-sun-drenched-1970s-american-new-wave-cinema

Few years back I watched them all (or the ones I could find) and found so many good to great films. This movement is a huge favourite of mine too. Highly recommend diving into this list.

Thanks for sharing that list @Devon Malcolm Some incredible stuff there. From those that I've seen, there's high quality throughout. Plus lots of others I didn't know of, or haven't found before. As chance would have it, the very first film that shows up, Rolling Thunder, I watched for the first time at the start of the week. Turns out it was another lost gem until Amazon placed it on it's home page and I knew it'd be right up my alley. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Thanks for sharing that list @Devon Malcolm Some incredible stuff there. From the stuff that I've seen, there's high quality throughout. Plus lots of others I didn't know of, or haven't found before. As chance would have it, the very first film that shows up there, Rolling Thunder, I watched for the first time at the start of the week there. Turns out it was another lost gem until Amazon placed it on it's home page and I knew it'd be right up my alley. 

Yeah, Rolling Thunder is superb. John Flynn directed The Outfit a few years beforehand, an excellent crime thriller, and then went on to direct Best Seller, Lock Up and Out for Justice in the 80s and 90s. A good director, but I think this was his best.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, Rolling Thunder is superb. John Flynn directed The Outfit a few years beforehand, an excellent crime thriller, and then went on to direct Best Seller, Lock Up and Out for Justice in the 80s and 90s. A good director, but I think this was his best.

I've had The Outfit on my watchlist for a while now, so will have to sort that. Hadn't heard of Best Seller before but I'll keep an eye out for it. Lock Up feels like it gets forgotten about in that mix of Stallone pictures from that period I think. Against type, Donald is a hateful bollocks in it too. Out for Justice though is one of Seagal's best. Top 3 probably. 

2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

It's not exactly the same kind of film, but I had similar feelings after recently rewatching Men in Black for the first time in an absolute age. Just a really entertaining, funny blockbuster that didn't take itself too seriously and was over and done with in 90 mins. Great family fun.

Yep, spot on with that one. In a similar vein to Sommers, Sonnenfeld made some decent films, has a few flops and never gets a chance to make something good again. 

That’s one hell of a list, Devon. Quite a few I’m not familiar with so another pile for the ever growing and impossible to finish Letterboxd watchlist.