VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Soul - that's some good pixar! Funny, good story, well acted, interesting subject matter and good music. Really no complaints about this one and I'm glad I forced my kids to watch it instead of letting them choose the movie today.

Saltburn - I liked it. Not sure why the ending was played like a 'reveal' when it was obviously what was happening the whole time (well, not the whole time but without getting too spoilery it revealed enough as it went that it wasn't a suprise by the end), but I didn't think it needed a big denouement; I enjoyed the ride anyway.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Watched Top Gun - Maverick for the first time last night. I was grinning from ear to ear from start to finish. Absolutely marvellous fayre!

Just watched it again, I was rock hard the whole way through.  Superb, even on the small screen.  Tom Cruise is the greatest living film producer.  

The new Ghostbusters is better than the last one. It's perfectly OK and that's about it. Kumail Nanjiani is the only one who seems to understand this is a comedy and is very good in it. I just kept thinking that we didn't need this boring family. They should probably just leave this alone now.

• Paid Members

Went to see Imaginary today, the latest Blumhouse Productions film. An absolute load of shit of a movie. It had potential but was bogged down with a lot of nonsense and the fact it was very boring. The big “monster” looks absolutely ridiculous and not scary in the slightest. And there was hardly any screen time for the handsome Tom Payne. I fell asleep for the last 15 minutes. My girlfriend thinks she knows how it ends, she went on her phone.

Only positive I would give it is the performance from Pyper Braun who played the young girl who has the imaginary friend. She was really good, particularly in one scene with the psychiatrist. 

• Paid Members

Seen a fair few recent releases this week, and most of them have been shite.

The Persian Version - Don't let the shit title put you off. Essentially a family comedy-drama about clashing American-Iranian cultures, it's a lot of fun with a really bright energetic central performance from Layla Mohammadi. A nice surprise.

Ricky Stanicky - I actually thought the first 20 minutes of this were shaping up decently, and there were a few laughs in there, but it sizzles out fairly quickly and the last 30 minutes are dreadful.

Spoiler

I know I'm reading too much into a daft comedy, but these three pricks getting no comeuppance AT ALL for being lying arseholes (other than Zac Efrons missus leaving him for 5 minutes) was infuriating. 

Damsel - Millie Bobby Brown fights a dragon. I like some elements of it but it's pretty uneven, with Brown in particular switching from very bad to very good from scene to scene. Suffers from Netflix green-screen a lot.

The New Boy - Cate Blanchett plays a nun in aboriginal Australia. I always admire films that so strictly do there own thing and refuse to adhere to whatever filmmaking fashion is in at the time. That's about all I could admire with this, because I couldn't get on with it at all. Just not for me. I've always struggled with the magical realism genre though so happy to admit this may be a me problem!

Irish Wish - I'm glad we're past the point where Lindsey Lohan is seen as a figure of ridicule. This is utter shite, mind. Would make an absolutely unhinged doublebill with that shite Jamie Dornan Irish film from the other year. I've some people say Ed Speleers has Bond energy and while I wouldn't go that far, even in this he comes across pretty well.

Road House - A lot more fun that it had any right to be, really. It's a good laugh. A few more films like this and I might forgive Jake Gyllenhaal after All Too Well soured me on him.

Bob Marley: One Love - I mean, it's a music biopic. They're all the fucking same. I like the genre so thought it was fine. If you don't, you won't.

The Inventor - A stop-motion animation about Leonardo Da Vinci, voiced by Stephen Fry. I thought this was really charming and lovely. Might be a bit twee for some, but I had a great time with it.

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The Inventor - A stop-motion animation about Leonardo Da Vinci, voiced by Stephen Fry. I thought this was really charming and lovely. Might be a bit twee for some, but I had a great time with it.

Where’s this one available? It sounds fun.

SEA OF LOVE Pacino stinks of booze, cigarettes and stale coffee in this. He looks dreadful and quite rightly given the character. Ellen Barkin just pops off that screen and is fucking stunning. I miss films where people fall in love with possible hot serial killers.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I liked the 2016 version of Ghostbusters better than the current sequels. The jokes took precedent over the sci fi spooky shit. Which is what the first one was. A comedy first. The cast was great, too.

I didn’t prefer it to the cannon sequels, but I’m a defender of GhostBusters (2016) / GhostBusters Answer the Call as well. It’s got a better joke landing ratio than most modern comedies and Chris Hemsworth had a great turn in it. Unfairly criticised.

That said, how it cost double what GhostBusters: Afterlife did I’ll never know.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

2016 Ghostbusters had a great cast but Paul Feig was the wrong person to helm it, the cast were left to 'riff' too much and the trailer was so bad it never recovered. Also Kate McKinnon was dreadful. That cast (bar her) could have made it work with a strong script and a better Director who wasn't up his own arse and decided anyone who didn't like it was a misogynist.

Also they should have linked it to the old Ghostbusters. Why get all three in it and have them play like a cab driver. Just have them pass the baton over.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Factotum said:

2016 Ghostbusters had aThat cast (bar her) could have made it work with a strong script and a better Director who wasn't up his own arse and decided anyone who didn't like it was a misogynist.

Citation needed.

Trying to read more and watch more television shows means my film watching is at a reduced rate this year meaning Rick will be happy, but there's been some decent watches in the last month or so.

I really enjoyed Priscilla, despite not giving a fig about Elvis, now or ever. It's really well told, and I thought Cailee Spaeny was outstanding. She nails how quickly Priscilla went from innocent schoolgirl to someone wrapped up and entranced by his world. Elordi is good too, and I've said this before, it's always brave to tackle such icons.

I got a big kick out of American Fiction, and thought it was hilarious for the most part, and All Of Us Strangers broke me and might be the best film I'll see this year. Mescal must be stopped.

Reality, with a brilliant turn by Sydney Sweeney, is well worth a watch and an interesting way of making a film (the dialogue is verbatim lifted from FBI tape recorders) and the biggest surprise for me was a first time watch of Married To The Mob. What a fun film and great to see matey boy from Quantum Leap as a top shit.

Rewatched some of the films from when I was an insufferable teenager (if you think I'm intolerable now) who only watched "indie" films, and Igby Goes Down is still good with a stellar cast of performances. It's peak mid 00s cinema. 

Last night on a whim I fancied some Arnie and had never seen Raw Deal, so that's ticked off. So violent. Brilliant. I haven't seen Junior in maybe 25 years and everyone involved should be condemned. What the fuck were they thinking? 

Stinkers? Ricky Stanicky. Absolutely shit, and I'm sorry to say (I'm not) I thought Poor Things was rubbish. Looked great, and if they'd leant into the humour a bit more (Ruffalo was superb) I definitely would've enjoyed it more, and I'm sure it's saying something about consent, autonomy, agency etc but I was bored from pretty much the start.

Heat is still a great film. Starship Troopers is still a great film. Lady Bird is still a great film (and now 14yo and me's favourite to watch together)

Onwards and upwards. Might watch some Jesus films this weekend as why not?

Spoiler

33.) Priscilla* (8)
34.) Punch-Drunk Love (8)
35.) Heat (10)
36.) Lady Bird (10)
37.) Poor Things* (4)
38.) American Fiction* (9)
39.) Igby Goes Down (8)
40.) Married To The Mob* (8)
41.) Starship Troopers (8)
42.) All Of Us Strangers* (10)
43.) Top Gun (8)