VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Yeah, it's magnificent. Now I know how LOTR fans felt about The Two Towers.

I think I'm going to have to watch it again before it leaves the cinema, might even pay a little extra and go with an IMAX screening.

• Paid Members

Young Sherlock Holmes (possibly with a Pyramid of Fear).

The boy has discovered Sherlock Holmes, and he loves things to do with Egypt, so what better than to mess his head up with stained glass knights and kidnapped girls being scalded to death with boiling wax?

I will go to my grave insisting that this was a missed opportunity for a brilliant series of films.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The first Dune movie I think I respected it more than I liked it. I absolutely loved Part 2 though. An absolutely incredible film. Some of the shots and sequences were breathtaking. Timothee Chamalet was superb.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Dune: Part 2 (cinema)

So yeah, it is really good. More or less as good as the first one in that it strengthens in a couple of areas (Timothee Chalamet growing into his character, Rebecca Ferguson's development) but retains a couple of the weaknesses, most especially rejecting a comprehensive ending for setting up a sequel. That's the main weakness of these films and using the really tired cliché of a star cameo to put a block in place for the next one is some real Marvel shit. I enjoyed it a lot but there's so much of in terms of plot and characters - it especially didn't need Austin Butler and Josh Brolin brings little to the table.

I know Villeneuve has lamented working on Blade Runner 2049 in publicity for this because he was working on somebody else's property, which is a fair comment to make, but BR 2049 is better than both the Dune films and so is Arrival. They're completely self-contained works that are unafraid of their own ideas while these Dune films are playing to the crowd a bit more, especially this one. Not necessarily a bad thing but I think he's above it. I hope he makes something else before he makes Part 3 because as good as the Dune films still are (this one looked incredible on IMAX), I think he's got better in him.

I wasn’t a big fan of the first Dune. That said, part 2 seems like it’s a film that needs to be seen on a massive screen and not on my tv 6 months from now. Same as @LaGoosh I appreciated part 1 for its visuals, but nothing else. Damn you all for making me want to see Timothy Chalamet on IMAX. 

• Paid Members

Lisa Frankenstein - It's all over the place and doesn't always work, but as a mashup of teen films and daft horror schlock I found it to be a lot of fun. Kathryn Newton is always great and Liza Soberano is one to keep an eye on. 

Dune: Part Two - My feelings for this pretty much echo my thoughts on the first one. I like it and admire the achievement, but it just lacks any kind of emotional engagement for me to love it. Honestly a bit disappointed Denis Villeneuve seems to be going back to this series again, I'd much rather he knocked out something akin to Arrival or Prisoners again.

American Star - Ian McShane is a hitman who floats around Fuerteventura for a while. It's good and McShane is great, but while its obviously intended to be a mood piece/character study, I did find the looseness of the plot infuriating at times. 

Spaceman - Adam Sandler in a serious role is always worth watching, but it's not great. Better than Sad Astra, not as up its own arse as Intersteller And The Bookshelf Of Time, not as good as Moon. (Yeah UKFF, I like Sam Rockwell, and what of it?!) I am getting bored of these genre films (mostly horror or sci-fi) where the emphasis is on PAST TRAUMA rather than an actual plot, but they keep getting made so maybe I'm alone there.

Hopefully seeing Soul on the big screen this weekend.

• Moderators

The Kitchen. 

Was going in expecting this to be more of an action movie with some poignant moments or commentary to make. Instead it is a pretty miserable affair. It's not bad, but also it doesn't have that much to say and takes way too long to say it. Probably partly my fault for my expectation but still a bit of a letdown.

Ricky Stanicky might just be the worst film I'll watch all year, I'm not against low brow foul humour in the slightest but nothing here hits at all. It's two hours that rely on John Cena being a performing seal, looking like an utter twat.

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Ricky Stanicky might just be the worst film I'll watch all year, I'm not against low brow foul humour in the slightest but nothing here hits at all. It's two hours that rely on John Cena being a performing seal, looking like an utter twat.

Oh that seals it. I cannot wait to watch this.

• Paid Members

Amazing how Peter Farrelly's career has nose-dived so fast after pulling the Oscar bait fast one with Green Book. The Greatest Beer Run Ever was bollocks, too.

I watched Ricky Stanicky (with the wife, of course) on Friday. It's not great, like. Not completely irredeemable or anything and you know the premise utter nonsense when you go into it. 

There are a couple of laughs here and there and Cena is good. He is a bit 'try hard' in it, but that also sort of fits his character. 

I still find it weird seeing Cena with that mop of hair on his head, though at least the camera angles didn't expose that big bald spot. 

And I got around to watching the Depp/Burton Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (shite), as well as re-watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (which I still really like). The wife and kids also went to the cinema to see the new Wonka film (Czech dubbed version), which they said was the best one because they got popcorn and juice and it had a giraffe in it.