VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Love You, Man, which I all really enjoyed. The latter I think is one of the funniest comedies of the last 20 years, and has huge likeability. 

See, I'm not sure I get comedy the same way as a lot of people. Totally agree with the last part there, I enjoyed it as a movie about male bonding, how easy it is to lose that as you get deep in relationships, and how hard it can be to make friends as you get older. But I see "I Love You, Man" as a feel good drama - I didn't find it funny. I'm not sure if I ever laughed when watching it. Maybe Lance Storm is my dad. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

See, I'm not sure I get comedy the same way as a lot of people. Totally agree with the last part there, I enjoyed it as a movie about male bonding, how easy it is to lose that as you get deep in relationships, and how hard it can be to make friends as you get older. But I see "I Love You, Man" as a feel good drama - I didn't find it funny. I'm not sure if I ever laughed when watching it. Maybe Lance Storm is my dad. 

Can just imagine you sat watching Blazing Saddles and thinking, "Well I'm not sure this is an accurate depiction of length of time it takes for baked beans to make you pass wind!"

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Mulholland Drive 

Watched this ill on the sofa and might as well have done 10 tabs of acid. I couldn't make head nor tail of it, and the way Lynch shoots didn't help as I thought I was inside my own dream (Naomi Watts often appears in my dreams naked on another woman) Great film, but one I probably shouldn't have watched ill and feverish.

That alleyway scene though.

I don't think any artists in any medium has ever really captured what it feels like to be inside a dream except for David Lynch. He's a genius.

• Paid Members

Saw Wicked little letters last night. Thought it was pretty funny (although that may depend on your view of swear words being used in weird poison pen letters). Thought the cast were great although you can’t really go wrong  with Jessie Buckley, Olivia Coleman and Timothy Spall, but Ajana Vasan was a standout. It’s taken liberties with the real life event from what I could tell, but I really enjoyed it.

• Paid Members

Anjana Vasan is awesome. She was ace in the last series of Killing Eve and that Black Mirror episode she did.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

I'm not sure if I ever laughed when watching it.

You didn't laugh at this?

Paul Rudd is SLAPPIN DA BASSSS MON. Come on now Al!

Edit: that clip cut the best bit ffs, here we are.

Edited by SuperBacon
BIG TIIIIIME

• Moderators

I didn't find I love you man very funny either. I was really hyped for it before seeing it and was surely squarely in the target market but was very disappointing by it. I think I had seen Role Models and Forgetting Sarah Marshal right before so it suffered from the comparison. Maybe it's worth revisiting....

Also, not that it ruined the movie or anything, but Rashida Jones is very unconvincing in everything she does.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

That alleyway scene though.

I don't think any artists in any medium has ever really captured what it feels like to be inside a dream except for David Lynch. He's a genius.

I was part of a film-maker's meetup over the weekend, and we were talking about early works/budgets - Lynch was brought up partly because Eraserhead was shot as and when they could. So there's a point where he walks through a door, and didn't finish walking through the door for another year.

I find stuff like that fascinating, because the amount of confidence both to keep the project going and to be able to keep the tone and feel is kind of exactly why I think he's so good at that kind of artistic vision.

• Paid Members

Eraserhead is so weirdly confident as an artistic statement for someone's first film, too. I've seen it a few times, but a couple of years ago saw it in the cinema for the first time, and the sound design just blows your head off in that setting. There's a screenshot from Twin Peaks S3 that became a bit of a meme for the subtitle "ominous whooshing", and that's what half of Eraserhead feels like.

There's some great later Orson Welles stuff with similar things - one half of a scene being shot months or years after the other, because it's just cobbled together as and when he could get the money together.

Mulholland Drive I think is fantastic, and I only appreciate it more with age. I first saw it as a teenager doing a Film Studies AS, and really bought into the "keys" to making sense of it, and had that tedious personality trait that half the internet seems to have these days of treating a film like a puzzle to be solved, whereas now I see it far more as an experience that you just need to let take you along for the ride. The opening sequence of the car driving at night, the road barely lit, to an Angelo Badalamenti score, is about as perfect Lynch as Lynch gets. In terms of plot or what it's "about" or what it "means", I just see the whole thing as an analogy for Hollywood, and if there is a key to getting it, it's knowing that Lynch is always stuck on a story of "woman in trouble" and Marilyn Monroe. It's about how Hollywood allows anyone to reinvent themselves as whoever they want to be, but also how it chews you up and spits you out as someone else entirely, until nobody's sure who they really are, and all these starlets and wannabe stars are just interchangeable versions of each other, so you can recast your film halfway through and who would even know? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anjana Vasan is awesome. She was ace in the last series of Killing Eve and that Black Mirror episode she did.

It was really bugging me what I had seen her in and I couldn't look it up in the cinema, but that episode of Black Mirror (Demon 79) I thought was really strong. I tapped out of Killing Eve during season 3 and never went back to it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

and really bought into the "keys" to making sense of it, and had that tedious personality trait that half the internet seems to have these days of treating a film like a puzzle to be solved

A lot of people react like that to Lynch. I used to too, but eventually I realised that his work isn't meant to be deciphered into plot/story. In the simplest way to describe it, the only thing that matters when watching his work is how it makes you feel. The what and why is basically irrelevant. 

14 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Mr Right. Action romcom, 90 min, Anna Kendrick. Hits all the marks it needs to, does the job. Worth a watch.

(Note: I watched in daytime whilst recovering from surgery with little to do).

I didn't mind this, but a warning, it does star Sam Rockwell.