VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

49 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

The wife and kids also went to the cinema to see the new Wonka film (Czech dubbed version), which they said was the best one because they got popcorn and juice and it had a giraffe in it.

My kids went to see it at the cinema recently, and then at home a few days later, and they've not stopped singing the songs. It's driving me crazy but I guess there are worse things they could be obsessed with. Plus seeing them do Oompa Loompa dances is fairly amusing.

Dune (the Lynch one): This isn't half as bad as I remembered it to be, I can see how it'd be a complete mess for anyone not familar to the story though as it just skips through massive portions or gives you really bad exposition from an ethereal voice. It still looks gorgeous though with the weirdest set and costume designs, the Shai Hulud look great for the time too with Dale Cooper and Big Ed Hurley on them like they're drunk joyriding. I dunno about milking that cat though...

Provo (2022): Loved this, a small debut full-length movie from and starring Emma Thatcher (who follows me on Insta, don't you know?) about an off the rails ex-Mormon who finds out her estranged father is dying. Kinda hits close to home like, plus people are improving bits about Powerviolence so bonus points for that.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Dune (the Lynch one): This isn't half as bad as I remembered it to be, I can see how it'd be a complete mess for anyone not familar to the story though as it just skips through massive portions or gives you really bad exposition from an ethereal voice. It still looks gorgeous though with the weirdest set and costume designs, the Shai Hulud look great for the time too with Dale Cooper and Big Ed Hurley on them like they're drunk joyriding. I dunno about milking that cat though...

Watched it for the first time recently as well, though I’ve read the book and watch Villeneuve’s part 1. My wife had no idea of the story so we had to keep stopping it so I could explain stuff, as there’s so much missing. But, she loved it, and I got a good kick of out it as well, mostly because it had Captain Picard and Al from Quantum Leap in it. 

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

As teen stoners every Friday we would go to my mates house and get stoned and play Pro Evo and get a video and one day Alex came back with this, and it was utterly shit, as all we wanted to watch was Friday or Lord Of The Rings, so I've never revisited it.

Will do though.

8mm

One of those 'surprised I haven't watched this one before' films for me. I did have it on VHS way back when, but don't think I ever got around to watching the whole thing (though bits of it did seem familiar).

Anyway, I really liked.  It's got a great Nic Cage central performance, an engrossing plot and is very well made. Mad to think mainstream studios were greenlighting stuff like this at such expense at the time, but I'm glad they did. Hell of a supporting cast, too, with Tony Soprano, Frank Sobotka and Wacky Phoenix showing up to do their bit.

Drive-Away Dolls: I really wanted to like this more than I did but for so much of it it was trying far too hard to be quirky and most of the jokes fell flat. I can see it becoming a cult classic in some circles but it wasn't for me. Margaret Qualley is still utter perfection though.

33 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Drive-Away Dolls: I really wanted to like this more than I did but for so much of it it was trying far too hard to be quirky and most of the jokes fell flat. I can see it becoming a cult classic in some circles but it wasn't for me. Margaret Qualley is still utter perfection though.

Going to see this later in the week as part of a rare date night with The Wife™️. Haven't heard many good things (Kermode hated it), but I'm still sort of looking forward to it and am willing to go in with an open mind.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I agree. That 84 minutes felt like 3 hours. I actually thought Margaret Qualley was poor with some weird quasi Miley Cyrus impersonation and a terribly written character not doing her justice. Some of the sub plots went nowhere which is unforgivable in such a short film. My screening was silent, none of the jokes landed. The trailer looked so promising.

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I agree. That 84 minutes felt like 3 hours. I actually thought Margaret Qualley was poor with some weird quasi Miley Cyrus impersonation and a terribly written character not doing her justice. Some of the sub plots went nowhere which is unforgivable in such a short film. My screening was silent, none of the jokes landed. The trailer looked so promising.

Ah, shit...

Watched The Creator finally.

In terms of how to film scifi it feels like a generational step forward.  Just fantastically shot, great locations and the way the cgi is added to the world feels more natural than anything I’ve seen before.

Great world-building too, a really interesting backstory and concept.

The actual plot is a bit bobbins though, a paper thin excuse for some bang bang.  Still it doesn’t get in the way of the spectacle too much.

Casting was nuts - CJ from the West Wing as the main baddie!  She pulls it off but that’s nuts.

Best sci-fi film I’ve seen in a while but I’ve not seen Dune 2 yet.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

8mm

Anyway, I really liked.  It's got a great Nic Cage central performance, an engrossing plot and is very well made. Mad to think mainstream studios were greenlighting stuff like this at such expense at the time, but I'm glad they did.

Saw this in the cinema back in the day as 90s Cage was some quality Cage.  It stayed with me to the point that I couldn't look at anything saucier than the Freeman's catalogue for a few weeks.